Basic Doors Video Tutorial

IchI

Reaction score
Hey, I have recently finished my latest video tutorial. Its not very long and will just basiclly outline how to create doors, both triggered and physical. Remember this is a door tutorial, not a brush or texture tutorial. When my website is up you will understand my strcture to video tutorials. It just saves me spending time showing u how to setup doors when it can be done inside a simple video tutorial which will last less time and can be watched in like 10minutes. Anyway I think you get my point.

FEEDBACK PLZ!

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;33990

Oooh, can't wait to watch it. Gotta work today but will prob check it out tonight. I liked your first tutorial when you create a basic room.

Ian

omg great work just what i need, got any more video tutorials youve done? :). thx alot

Glad you did that. I've been having trouble getting them to behave how I want--would probably be easier if valve would release a detailed entity list with documenation on how to use each type.

For some reason after i download them and try to play them, i get a error saying quicktime, or media player doesn't read the files or something like that, pls help.

BRILLIANT!!!! Do more of these, you'll help the community a ton every time you do one. Watching that taught me more about doors in 10 minutes than I could figure out otherwise in several hours=)

Stupid filefront, make me go through 8 different websites and then the download button doesn't work.

Click the server in belgium, its only one click then. I discovered that when trying to download the model VTM from filefront, and trying the american server. Then again thats for europeans only, so if you're from anywhere else its fun fun fun 10 website maze of clicks for you ;).

Another good tutorial, keep up the work. BUT TELL ME THE MAX PERSPECTIVE VIEWPOINT SHORTCUTS ICHII Stop ignoring me on irc ;(

Thanks man. Ur first tut was what got me started. That's basically all of the instruction i have had in hammer so far, besides reading a few pages ppl have linke din these forums of information on it. And I have been makin a pretty decent map from just that (or at least my friend joey says so). Hehe, and i came on the forums to ask a question about doors, tho i'm not sure your tut is what i'm lookin for here since i need help on the brush side (carving the door shape outta walls) not on the actual door making side (haven't even gotten to that) :p

Very nice tutorial man, if you make any more I'll be sure to check them out.

Nice tutorial, and funny too. You make the odd mistake/accident here and there, but that's alright ;) I didn't realise that enabling Helpers revealed a "built in" origin for func_door_rotating. I've just been using a brush with my rotating doors covered with the "origin" texture. Not that it matters so much as someone kindly pointed out there's such a thing as a prop_door_rotating entity.

Play anyway, mate.

Dude thanks a ton for the TUTS man I have your basic room and it really helped my noob ness. you sound funny but I can understand fine lol.

PS: please do one on basic lighting and advanced lighting.

At the end of the tut you should of had the door snap off and kill you :(

Favorite qoutes:
"Ahh what the **** am I doing"
"play a sound like ehhhhhh"
"I recorded this video like three times you know"

Thats first class. What is the standard size for doors, and there frames btw?
Thats so awesome man. Can you... do Skyboxes or glass next.. or maybe an advanced one. Like making a fan push somone?

Z|insane said:
At the end of the tut you should of had the door snap off and kill you :(

Favorite qoutes:
"Ahh what the **** am I doing"
"play a sound like ehhhhhh"
"I recorded this video like three times you know"

Thats first class. What is the standard size for doors, and there frames btw?
Thats so awesome man. Can you... do Skyboxes or glass next.. or maybe an advanced one. Like making a fan push somone?

I will be making a gass canoster go crazy today, if you have ever seen gone in 60 seconds you will have seen the sceen where the gas bottle leaks and it begins to fly around the map, thats what I am doing. Altogether the actual effects and explosions consist of about 8 entities, but its pritty kewl. You will have to wait and see :D

IchI, keep 'em coming. They're both informative and entertaining=) I laughed a lot through the whole thing, because I could relate to what was going on so well.

Awesome work, I watched your door one last night and plan to do more today with it by experiementing along with it!

Also, just a small request...do you remember in the E3 video where they shot out a shelf that had a bunch of barrels on it and they rolled off and rattled around in the poles that were sticking out of the wall? Could you do a vid (or a text tutorial for that matter) on how to set it up? I tried working one last night but I couldn't get the damn thing to work at all no matter what I tried. :-\

Woot I got working doors now! :)

Awesome dude, cant wait for more

IchI said:
I will be making a gass canoster go crazy today, if you have ever seen gone in 60 seconds you will have seen the sceen where the gas bottle leaks and it begins to fly around the map, thats what I am doing. Altogether the actual effects and explosions consist of about 8 entities, but its pritty kewl. You will have to wait and see :D

Ohh awesome! Umm, what about the door sizes. Psst try to get hit with the canister... like try catching it :naughty: :naughty:

Z|insane said:
Ohh awesome! Umm, what about the door sizes. Psst try to get hit with the canister... like try catching it :naughty: :naughty:

well... you proberly don't wanna do that, because...

1. Its on fire.
2. The heat is plasma and will melt you.
3. It explodes within 5 seconds.
4. This canister is going 600mph.
5. Your screen shakes whene ever it is close.
6. When it explodes it happens to work like a mini nuke, so anything withing a certain radius dies :D
7. It only takes 1hp of damage to the object to trigger it.
8. Its very loud.
9. SHIT I CAN'T SEE STEAM!

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

Well lets hope the mini nuke gets you. :p

What were the door sizes you had going, I have problems getting actual textures lining up they dont look right?

Actually, I was gonna ask you IchI about the orange and grey textures you used in your doors video, but after SEARCHING (a lost art that was never really an art because people don't do search), I seem to have found one decent answer that the orange and grey are actual textures in the /dev area? Do those automatically list the dimensions and filenames?

Ian

Cancel on that orange and grey textures...I found it in a different post after further research.

However, I would still love to figure out how they did the barrel thing off of the shelf in the E3 vid...if that's all I asked for for Christmas, would Santa Claus come through for me? :angel:

Ian

I posted in another thread :rolling: about this tut. Just thanking you was all, excellent stuff.

Please, please keep them coming!

Keep em coming man! I had no idea how to do those physics doors. Well done. Informative and fun to watch. Its funny to see you have the frustrations that we all get when we map.

Bravo!

Death.Trap said:
Awesome Ichi, when do you think your sites gonna be up?

1 month or 2. I am currently looking for help making it. Along with video tutorial producers.

Thanks, these were very helpful.

Now for rotating door handles.

Wish i could play these but they are always crashing at certain times, usually the same points each time, for me :(
I got through the first basic tutorial by skipping past the part that crashed but it's annoying as you can imagine
I've tried updating/reinstalling quicktime then trying quicktime alternative but no luck
It crashes with an error that is offered to be sent to those hardworking microsoft types so i'm guessing its my OS probably(i use XP). Anyone know a reason for this? or had this trouble with quicktime before? or a solution?.
Would be appreciated because these are the best VT's i've seen so far in my many attempts at mappin for different games.
I'll PM the beer emoticon if you have a solution, yes that is a bribe.
Sorry if this belongs in another forum but its only these tutorials that seem to not work so i suppose it could be fraps related or whatever.

EDIT: I talk crap, it's not one of those microsoft error things but a media player classic one, although its the same in quicktime. I attached a screen of the error sig and the text file accompanying it if that helps anyone

It would help if you played them in QUICKTIME!

Dude update your quicktime..

Edit: Ichi He said
EDIT: I talk crap, it's not one of those microsoft error things but a media player classic one, although its the same in quicktime. I attached a screen of the error sig and the text file accompanying it if that helps anyone
So he tried it in QT..

I did update, using the update feature and then I downloaded the latest one from their website before trying qt alternative
I'll check on some QT forum or other, thanks for your advice insane(i did read the help from the other thread :)) and clarifying my problem to those who may have been..confused

Back