been slim my whole life, how to gain weight?

bizzy420

Reaction score
do those weight gainers or protein shakes really help?
i dont have access to a gym or heavy weights. is there any way for me to gain some more weight? i have been pretty slim my whole life, so im not sure if its genetics or if there is anything i can do about it.

thanks

bacon5.jpg

what bhc said. You want to get some real advice though... just basically eat a balance of food (a little more is better) and do some weights. If you want to be Arnold Schwarzlqh43t;p, then I don't think I can really help (I think you need a heavier diet full of protein). Where's short recoil? :(

Just eat. Eat until you look like a ball, then work out and you will gain more weight but look better. Personally, I am just gonna stay slim because I'd look like a retard if I was buff.

bizzy420 said:
do those weight gainers or protein shakes really help?

yes they do. and buy some weights, just a pair of dumbbells is enough. youll be glad you did

I agree with Stucco. I think we should know how old he is before we know what advice to dish out. "My whole life" could mean some 12 year old kid that gets picked on and want's to beef out a bit. Telling him to stuff his face, take protien shakes and do weights would be overkill for someone that age. On the other hand if he is 60, the same advice could give him a heart attack. Also- we don't even know that it's a him. You could ruin a hot chick that thinks shes "too skinny". The fact that they don't have acess to a gym or weights say's to me "I'm either too young or too old to be independant".

Did any of you think this through?

Eat often (but smallish amounts) if you can eat up to 8 meals a day (i don't mean like your normal meal, i mean like "a piece of fruit, can of fish and an orange" sort of size)
Do some anabolic exercises (low number of reps, high weight usually works)
Sleep lots.

If you follow those with healthy diet with the right balance of nutrients with plenty of protein you should get BIG (musular and ****ing imposing) as long as you stick with it.

Just wait until you hit about 27 years old at which time your metabolism will come crashing down to earth. Keep the same diet and don't do any aerobic excercise. Turn into a lush and drink alcohol a lot. It does wonders for the wasitline. It's absolutely amazing to me to see skinny people from high school look like the stay puffed marshmellow man nowadays.

Dude i was 115 a month ago I started eating like mad crazy and worked out a lot and I gained 15 lbs Im 130 now...still not that built but I think its a big improvement..trust me man im in the same boat as you I need to put on more pounds. and waiting 10 years for my metabolism to slow down isnt fast enough results for me

short recoil said:
Eat often (but smallish amounts) if you can eat up to 8 meals a day (i don't mean like your normal meal, i mean like "a piece of fruit, can of fish and an orange" sort of size)
Sleep lots.

If you follow those with healthy diet with the right balance of nutrients with plenty of protein you should get BIG (musular and ****ing imposing) as long as you stick with it.

does that mean that you're back now? if so ..welcome back :)

Whatever you do, keep a close eye on your trans fat and other harmful food "ingredients". Stick with healthier meals and load up in the morning. Weight training may or may not actually change your weight, or you can go either up or down depending on your actual current body mass. Personally I wouldn't spring for the protein shakes unless you need to keep a high protien content with advanced weight training.
You could always eat lots of chicken and nuts and stuff, too.

Be sure to control yourself. Being a fat kid isn't cool. Unless you got personality.

thx for the advice guys.

height 5,9 -5,10
weight: 135, i'd like to atleast gain 15 pounds.

the nutrition store near my house is having a big sale, but i dont know what to buy. so far i bought "pro complex protein system (15 dollars 4.4pounds)" and i also got "EAS max milk 2.5 pounds (8.99). i honestly dont even know if i bought the right stuff.

another problem is i dont really get "home cooked meals", i have a hectic schedule, and i eat alot of fast food/restaurant food.

also like i said earlier, i cant pay the monthly gym fee, but i might be able to get some dumb bells. are there any exercises i can do without all the gym equipment?

_Z_Ryuken said:
Whatever you do, keep a close eye on your trans fat and other harmful food "ingredients". Stick with healthier meals and load up in the morning. Weight training may or may not actually change your weight, or you can go either up or down depending on your actual current body mass. Personally I wouldn't spring for the protein shakes unless you need to keep a high protien content with advanced weight training.
You could always eat lots of chicken and nuts and stuff, too.

what do you mean by load up in the morning? so no need for protein shakes?

bizzy420 said:
what do you mean by load up in the morning? so no need for protein shakes?
Just eat more in the morning than afternoon or evening. Eat more in the afternoon than in the evening.

Protein shakes are great, but no substitute for actual food. If all you want is the protein, get to the deli and load up on some tasty chicken and roasted peanuts.
Shakes are more for on-the-go people and atheletes that don't want to cramp up due to food digestion.

Also, find creatine if you can. Helps to build muscle in concert with weight training or aerobic sport. It can help you edge your mass building towards lean muscle.

Don't overdo it though. Mediate your intake and gradually increase it over time.

Man, you crazy. I've been slim my entire life and I'm not complaining!

short recoil said:
Sleep lots.

I don't like you.

Actually, you'll gain more weight by eating before you goto bed, since you dont digest nearly as fast while you sleep.

WhiteZero said:
Actually, you'll gain more weight by eating before you goto bed, since you dont digest nearly as fast while you sleep.
Right but we aren't trying to kill ourselves. Sleep shuts down the primary metabolism so you are basically wasting food you eat before bed.

Here's a little story. My roommate is about 6 ft and a little over 140. He eats about 3,000 calories a day and doesn't gain weight.

About two years ago, he went into a workout program to gain weight. He drank protein shakes regularly (several times a week), worked out at the optimal rate (I don't know what rate that is, he just did it) and after six months, he had gained a whopping, entire pound. Yes. One pound.

Some people just aren't designed to put on muscle.

No, I can gain muscle like nobody's business when I work out, but he can still grown a better beard than I. I don't the testosterone has much to do with it.

More like a hyperactive metabolism. His body goes through all the nutrients before they can be processed into muscle.

Hello, my name is Shens and when I saw your link asking for help on how to gain weight, I knew that I would be the best and first person to help you out. If you want to gain weight, there are several things you can do which range from simple and easy to dangerously ludicrous. My whole life I have been horribly skinny. Now I wasn't anorexic or bulimic but I was dangerously close. I could not go a day without being asked if I had an eating disorder and this, coupled with an average teenage girl's insane voyage through high school, drew me into a Great Depression. I was prescribed anti-depressants and birth control by my psychiatrist in order to keep my suicidal emotions under control. These did little to help me as I became increasingly veering towards becoming bulimic. However, one day, I realized the error of the nearing location of the path I traveled on my ways while watching a Doctor Phil special in my jammies. Doctor Phil was consoling several teenage girls in an attempt to give them self-confidence. Little did he know that their renewed confidence in themselves would be stripped away not one more day after the show when their school's student body found out about their appearance on his show and heckled them for it. After listening to Dr. Phil's advice, it became clear to me that the problem did not lie with my life, but with myself. It was a stunning revelation and an amazing eye-opener for me.

Thus, I began an extreme regime to regain my lost pounds and confidence. These next few steps have inspired many skinny people on their way to become average weight and I hope this advice will hold same for you. Good luck on your journeys fellow Internet globe-cracker.

Shen's guyde to easy Weight Gain Game.

Step 1: Eat right.
Be sure to include lots of proteins, starches, carbohydrates, and other healthy food choices. I recommend trying Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine brand-name foods. They have a lot of taste and substance. Cut back on junk food because it is too fattening and addictive. Also, don't do drugs. Going on a heroin diet is stupid and makes you stupid. The munchies also make you eat crazy things. One time, at school, someone's heart exploded because they smoked marijuana. I didn't see it for myself but eye-witness to the scene Evan Schwarshoki saw it and said that his face was bleeding like he had ebola or something.

Step 2: Exercise.
Be sure to exercise everyday. I recommend trying one of those machines that jiggle your muscles. They tone and shape them into strong lean cuisine muscles. It makes you look hot and c hunky. Also, you get all the girls. I don't know about you but I like a man with strong muscles. I run and jog everyday and do about 300 pushups at one go. I suggest going to the gymnasium. If you can get a membership, you can get bigger muscles. If you take steroids, I've heard that your genitals will decrease in size. I don't know how it works, but I suggest not overdosing on steroids because it might go away.

Step 3: Sleep.
Perhaps the biggest contender around, sleeping around allows your body to recuperate after a long day of exercise and eating right. Your body is healed during sleep. It's called sleep healing. Be sure to note that you are quite vulnerable to attack while sleeping and thus you should wear protection.

Step 4: Profit.
This one time, I was watching this South Park episode. It was years ago so I forgot what it was about but it had this amazingly hilarious scene where the Jew or some other disgusting piece of shit discovers these dwarves in his room. Anyways, long story short, the dwarves have a plan to make profit but they were missing the intermediate step so they had replaced it with question marks because they didn't know it you see and had just naturally assumed that everybody else had known it. I was snorting and laughing because it was so funny but anyways, I thought I should share it with you guys because it's an old South Park episode so maybe not everybody has seen it and has heard of the joke.

You skipped a step.

The real step 4 is ????

Shens said:
Hello, my name is Shens and when I saw your link asking for help on how to gain weight, I knew that I would be the best and first person to help you out. If you want to gain weight, there are several things you can do which range from simple and easy to dangerously ludicrous. My whole life I have been horribly skinny. Now I wasn't anorexic or bulimic but I was dangerously close. I could not go a day without being asked if I had an eating disorder and this, coupled with an average teenage girl's insane voyage through high school, drew me into a Great Depression. I was prescribed anti-depressants and birth control by my psychiatrist in order to keep my suicidal emotions under control. These did little to help me as I became increasingly veering towards becoming bulimic. However, one day, I realized the error of the nearing location of the path I traveled on my ways while watching a Doctor Phil special in my jammies. Doctor Phil was consoling several teenage girls in an attempt to give them self-confidence. Little did he know that their renewed confidence in themselves would be stripped away not one more day after the show when their school's student body found out about their appearance on his show and heckled them for it. After listening to Dr. Phil's advice, it became clear to me that the problem did not lie with my life, but with myself. It was a stunning revelation and an amazing eye-opener for me.

Thus, I began an extreme regime to regain my lost pounds and confidence. These next few steps have inspired many skinny people on their way to become average weight and I hope this advice will hold same for you. Good luck on your journeys fellow Internet globe-cracker.

Shen's guyde to easy Weight Gain Game.

Step 1: Eat right.
Be sure to include lots of proteins, starches, carbohydrates, and other healthy food choices. I recommend trying Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine brand-name foods. They have a lot of taste and substance. Cut back on junk food because it is too fattening and addictive. Also, don't do drugs. Going on a heroin diet is stupid and makes you stupid. The munchies also make you eat crazy things. One time, at school, someone's heart exploded because they smoked marijuana. I didn't see it for myself but eye-witness to the scene Evan Schwarshoki saw it and said that his face was bleeding like he had ebola or something.

Step 2: Exercise.
Be sure to exercise everyday. I recommend trying one of those machines that jiggle your muscles. They tone and shape them into strong lean cuisine muscles. It makes you look hot and c hunky. Also, you get all the girls. I don't know about you but I like a man with strong muscles. I run and jog everyday and do about 300 pushups at one go. I suggest going to the gymnasium. If you can get a membership, you can get bigger muscles. If you take steroids, I've heard that your genitals will decrease in size. I don't know how it works, but I suggest not overdosing on steroids because it might go away.

Step 3: Sleep.
Perhaps the biggest contender around, sleeping around allows your body to recuperate after a long day of exercise and eating right. Your body is healed during sleep. It's called sleep healing. Be sure to note that you are quite vulnerable to attack while sleeping and thus you should wear protection.

Step 4: Profit.
This one time, I was watching this South Park episode. It was years ago so I forgot what it was about but it had this amazingly hilarious scene where the Jew or some other disgusting piece of shit discovers these dwarves in his room. Anyways, long story short, the dwarves have a plan to make profit but they were missing the intermediate step so they had replaced it with question marks because they didn't know it you see and had just naturally assumed that everybody else had known it. I was snorting and laughing because it was so funny but anyways, I thought I should share it with you guys because it's an old South Park episode so maybe not everybody has seen it and has heard of the joke.

Holy shit, you really are ****ing insane, I love you.

I knew about the 1234???Profit joke but I never knew it's origin.

Thanks for that.

You want to gain wieght?

Eat lead.

eat lead bitch :sniper:

Lead is the heaviest known substance on earth I believe, so Im sure it could really pack on the pounds. I hear its unhealthy though ;)

No, seriously -

Drink beer. Beer not only has callories, 1 beer a day is good for you ( so long as you aren't driving ;) ) Also, it is a commonly known fact that beer will increase your appetite causing you to ****ing eat like a hostage ( but don't drink too much you will be full on water )

EDIT: im serious about the beer - if you are of age.

The thing about weightlifting. You are slim becuase of your lifestyle. Mostly genetics, but the choices in life over your entire lifespan have made a huge impact on your weight. What you do for fun, your eating habbits, etc., have all played a role. If you took up heavy weight training, so that you are ****ing struggling with the most weight you can handle, you will put on bulk. I should know, I read a few books because everyone had conflicting theories about lifting weights. I worked out for many years with slow but definate results. Its a shit load of work, that , if you can keep at it, you eventaully sort of become addicted to the way it feels, and your confidence will be enormous.

The problem is - like i've said, is that your lifestyle and the person you are and your genetics means that if you ever stop lifting weights, you will lose all the muscle you have gained. You just don't do the type of activities that increase your appetitie and muscle mass enough, and you never will.

I put on 40 lbs in a few years and when I got tired of working out, it only took a couple of years to loose it ALL. Back to where I started. Just learn to love and appreciate what you've got and who you are. But since you are mentioning it, then its obviously an insecurity for you.

So I say again go with 1 beer just before dinner time, like have a beer, as soon as you finish start cooking up something serious. Your appetite will be tremendous. it usually takes me 2 beers to get really hungry, which is even more callories, and a little unhealthy for your liver, but if you can get a buzz from 1 beer then thats all ya need.

-v

[quote="topic title]how to gain weight?[/quote]

I guess a lot of America is smarter than you.

ok guys i REALLY do appreciate the help, but like i said earlier i wont have access to much gym equipment.

are their any exercises that you reccomend that doesnt require a gym membership?

would push ups and pull ups do me any good?

also is there a difference between "WEIGHT GAINERS & PROTEIN SHAKES" or are they the same thing?

can anyone kinda help me out with some sort of workout program/ schedule?

Its simple.

Eat lots of protein (meat, fish, dairy)

Do more exercise (walk, cycle, run)

And you'll put on weight. Muscle weighs more than fat.

bizzy420 said:
ok guys i REALLY do appreciate the help, but like i said earlier i wont have access to much gym equipment.

are their any exercises that you reccomend that doesnt require a gym membership?

would push ups and pull ups do me any good?

also is there a difference between "WEIGHT GAINERS & PROTEIN SHAKES" or are they the same thing?

can anyone kinda help me out with some sort of workout program/ schedule?
Like I said, I read a couple books, worked out for years.

Excersize burns fat and calories, and makes you lose weight generally. To gain muscle and wieght, you need to do low repetition, very high weight.

Yes push-ups and other excersizes are really healthy for you and improve your cirulatory system, heart and lung strength, and they can increase muscle strength and muscle tone (cut) but you won't gain weight from it. nothing really.

At least buy some dumbells, borrow some, or get some from Wal-mart or something

Read a book on how to work out specific muscle groups if you don't already know.

Many people will tell you to do 3 sets of 10 reps. This is for people trying to gain muscle defenition and tone, and for people trying to lose weight. Do not listen to them. Listen to tha masta.

I speak from experience and from some friends of mine, to gain muscle faster
do 3 sets of 7 repetitions
and the new discovery is that 1 final set of 10 repetitions of a lighter weight to make it burn gives the greatest results the fastest. So thats 4 sets.

For the 3 sets of 7, use as much weight as you can so on the last set you may not even be able to get 7. 5 or 6 is fine, but if you can do more than like 10 on the 3rd set you need to do more weight. 7 7 7 10 is the best for gaining huge muscle bulk quickly ( as in a few months) But remember you need to be pushing yourself to its very limit. Im sure you have seen movies where the guy is benchpresing, and his spotter is yelling," come on! 1 more, give me 1 more" Well thats basically it. You have to push yourself harder than you thought you could.

They say add a little weight everytime you work out that muscle group, but this usually means like a minimum of 2.5 lbs. on each side, so if thats too much do a couple more reps. You will want to write it down for each muscle group so you know where you left off.

rest as little as you can in between sets, no more than 30 seconds to a minute.

you can drink water at any time. Water can give you some energy

Do not eat 1 hour before or after working out.

Take vitamins.

Creatine is helpful but remember that healthy food is the best way. Yogurt, cheese, meat, bread. hearty bread gives you lots of energy

Do NOT smoke or you are really holding yourself back becuase your body is always spending its resources trying to get the smoke out of your lungs.

Do not concentrate on the same muscle group every day.

Do each muscle group every other day. Do not take a day off if you can help it.

Work out opposite muscle groups like if you work out your chest, then immediately afterwards work out your back.

If you work out your biceps, then afterwards work out your triceps (back of upper arm)

If you work ouit your stomach, work out your lower back.

So on even days you can work out your arms, stomach, shoulders, back and chest, and on Odd days you can work out your legs, calves, and butt.

Working out your legs can be done by holding the dumbels in your hands and standing on 1 foot and squating to the floor up and down

It takes about a month to say to yourself " i have definately put on some muscle"

After that it seems to go faster, but it takes alot of time.

Im sure you have heard that if you break a bone in your body, your body will repair that bone so its even stronger than before.

Muscle building is the same concept.

Remember that working out tears the muscle fibres and damages them, so if you aren't eating and sleeping right, you are actually losing muscle.

Your appetite should double or tripple since you are working out

Your body will repair the muscles after you finish working out, especially while you are sleeping, so rest well

You know how when you wake up in the morning you are stiff? Well that is why I recommend working out about 1 hour after lunch, so your body has been stretched out some by daily activities. Otherwise you may pull a muscle.

So if your new to working out, you will be sore for a long time after your first work-outs, thats fine, you will get used to it to the point where you don't really feel sore anymore the next day.

Especially if you are new to physical excersize you need to stretch - you know, touch your toes, reach for the sky, that sort of thing.

-v

thats some great info Virus, thanks man i really do appreciate it.

Back