Before you complain about.... Length, Hours, Value, Bundle, Price, Orange/Black Box..

lifebringer

Reaction score
I took the time to type this for another post, figured I'd post it in a thread as well. Sorry to those who think this shouldn't be here..just don't post and let it die. Hopefully this saves some of us time.

Note: Identical to: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2394292&postcount=2

I imagine EP2 will be sold individually (on Steam, at least, though probably never anywhere else), sooner or later. Whether that is next month or in a few years..I don't know.

Anyway you bring up value. Originally, I was a bit dissapointed that us HL2 and EP1 owners wouldn't get $15-25 off the $50-60 orange box. Most of us would take that in place of "gift" (although presumably sellable) versions of those games anyday.

However, I paid the $45 preorder anyway. And I've three things to say:

1) Team Fortress 2. I haven't played this week, but I've put on a modest 10+ hrs since the beta was made accessible. Many have put on scores of hours, but either way, I'm sure over the next few years, I will play 100+, 200+, 300+ hours...
2) Episode 2. Put on 7hrs of solid gameplay on Hard yesterday, and so far spent 10hrs in game. I'm sure after I've replayed that again over the next few weeks, and a third time before EP3 comes out, I'll have spent 20 hours in game. And that's on a 1/3 "full" game Episode.
3) Portal. Spent 4 hours yesterday on the single-player story, another hour on 5/6 advanced maps. **ALSO, for those who aren't interested, A) give it a try. You never know. B) Portal has an IMPORTANT, if not NECESSARY, place in the Half-Life story.** I'll never beat all the challenges, but I'm sure you could spend 20-50 hours on those. Then in the downloadable maps we are sure to see over the next few years...

On the low end, that's 25 hours played so far, without including the value of HL2 and EP1 (and it may well be possible to sell those for a few bucks to someone).

On the high end, if you ask me in a few years how much time the $45 Orange Box bought me? Well..let's take a conservative 20 hours screwing around in Portal, 20 hours TOTAL in-game in EP2, and 100 (and that's pretty conservative for a few years) hours in TF2...Wow, 155 hours.

140 hours for $45. And that's only the three games we didn't own. Yes, it would have been nice to have a discount for being a HL2/EP1 previous-owner, but I'm not going to complain. Halo 3 cost $60 (for my console gaming friends, that is!) and got me 7hrs of single player + many multiplayer hours, but still far fewer than the Orange Box's games.

As always...I remind myself to compare gaming value to movies...a movie costs $10 (more with refreshments...and you have to drive there!) for TWO ****ING HOURS. Movie value: $5+/hour NET cost. Hell, some people don't even make $5/hr NET. Yet the Orange Box will be (to me, at least) 140+ hours for $45, or 32 cents per hour. I'd say that's the very definition of value.

Kthxbye.

It's available individually now, EP2 30$ , Portal 20$ and TF2 30$.
Anyway The Orange box worth its' price , It's worth much more if you ask me.

Something you brushed upon was the user created maps for portal, but you havnt taken that into full consideration.

The orange box isnt 5 games:

1) 5 full professionally made game worlds with gripping story and fun gameplay
2) Incredible modification tools and support
3) the countless hundreds of mods released and being worked on for HL2

Hey, does anyone know if HL2: DM comes with the orange box? or is it seperate to HL2?

Back