Beretta 9000 Slide Skinning Video

ankalar

Reaction score
Well I skinned IchI's Beretta 9000 slide and made a video out of it. In my opinion it's not exactly my best work. A lot of it is very sloppy, but whatever. Here's the end result:

berettaslide.jpg

berettamap.jpg

I'm compressing the video right now, so I'll post it some time tomorrow maybe. Although the skin isn't all that good I imagine beginner people could get the jist of how to do stuff...yeah...

dude, how are you going to tell me that this skin isnt that good.... its amazeing. Cant wait to see it, now i will be able to learn to model a gun, and skin it, yea.

Epyon said:
dude, how are you going to tell me that this skin isnt that good.... its amazeing. Cant wait to see it, now i will be able to learn to model a gun, and skin it, yea.

I don't think the skin is "shiny" enough and its a little blurry too....

Oh shit, I completely forgot the slide grooves. Whatever...

oh, that's so cool, i always wanted to learn a bit of basic skinning for models, you will help me out alot i guess !

thanks

ankalar said:
Well I skinned IchI's Beretta 9000 slide and made a video out of it. In my opinion it's not exactly my best work. A lot of it is very sloppy, but whatever. Here's the end result:

I'm compressing the video right now, so I'll post it some time tomorrow maybe. Although the skin isn't all that good I imagine beginner people could get the jist of how to do stuff...yeah...

Ye m8, it has to be rushed really because your under a time limit so its never going to be your best work. All you are doing is showing people as many different methods of skinning as you can in as little time as you can. The only bad thing is with your relesing it tomorrow is that they will be skinning something before they model it. I am just waiting on Munro to upload them now but he has got boged down with work atm so could be a little longer. Did you make a skinning tutotorial on the whole weapon or just the top part?

btw to comment on your skin its self. Just compare it to some other modification work and in my opinion its a lot better then some skins. So its definatly good enough. In my opinion its a very nice skin.

Ow and btw ankalar I wanna talk to you about something, contact me on IRC when ever you can.

I'm really looking forward to this. There are loads of tutorials on making models, applying textures and that, but hardly any on actually making the skin. That may not be your best work but a tutorial on how to do a skin that good will go down very well with many people, me being one of them (though I can look like 2 from a side view) :)

yeah, ankalar, thats pretty sweet, although i can see what you're saying about the 'reflectivity'. surely some specular and a bit of light owuld do the job ? this is a must download for me :p

one thing id like to ask, is whether that unwrap is just cylindrical, cause i need to unwrap my beretta and i was just wondering, cheers.

It's not a cylindrical UV map. I'm also making a video of me unwrapping the gun. I guess I won't release this video until IchI releases his modelling one and then I release my UV mapping one. Sorry for the wait :(

PS: I actually made it too shiny. The real gun is very matte, but nobody likes to see that :p

PPS: I just skinned the slide. Doing the whole weapon would take way too long. The video is already somewhere around 70 minutes or so. I didn't actually talk during it because there isn't much of a technical side to it. Due to it's length I'm going to speed it up about 3x, this will make it a lot less boring to watch, and you'll still be able to see how I do things.

ok, you can speed it up, just dont make it jerky, cause i d/led a vidoe before, and the mouse would jump from one side of the screen and back in about 3 frames :p impossible to keep track.

Maybe releasing it when you can instead of waiting for Ichi's one might actually help people with the modelling. It can show them things to do/not do in the modelling process that influence the unwrapping/skinning, so when they actually do the modelling they have some foresight and don't do anything that will make later stages harder than they need to be.

Its still better than 80% of the sub-par skins people do....even if its not your best work.

it looks nice, but it does not look like something Ank did, especially after seeing his TS work. (Im not saying he didnt make it, simply that this isnt his best work)

Mr. Redundant, you hit it right on the nose! I actually used almost a completely different style for this. The procedure is basically the same, but the outcome is very different. I did this because we don't want hundreds of ankalars running around, do we? Nope.

ankalar said:
Mr. Redundant, you hit it right on the nose! I actually used almost a completely different style for this. The procedure is basically the same, but the outcome is very different. I did this because we don't want hundreds of ankalars running around, do we? Nope.

good point. But who did you learn from :p

Also thats a little bit selfish isn't it. You could say its a dog eat dog world. But think how many 3d artists they are in the world :D

IchI said:

Also thats a little bit selfish isn't it. You could say its a dog eat dog world. But think how many 3d artists they are in the world :D

so wait, your saying 3d artists eat eachother?

/me drools
/me really really wants to see that video
/me hopes to learn something from it

IchI said:

When you're in a community that has been skinning the same damn weapons year after year, you start to see a lot of people that try to copy the best ones. Most notably, people try to copy Sixshooter's M4 skin. I guess it's selfish. Then again, people should be developing their own style, not trying to emulate other skinners.

Personally I'm just wanting to see the process, as I currently have pretty much no idea how to create a texture like that. I want to learn the process and methods and use them to make my own stuff (which are unlikely to be weapons anyway hehe).

Lupus said:
Personally I'm just wanting to see the process, as I currently have pretty much no idea how to create a texture like that. I want to learn the process and methods and use them to make my own stuff (which are unlikely to be weapons anyway hehe).

ditto :D but mine will be weapons along with humans etc...

ankalar said:
When you're in a community that has been skinning the same damn weapons year after year, you start to see a lot of people that try to copy the best ones. Most notably, people try to copy Sixshooter's M4 skin. I guess it's selfish. Then again, people should be developing their own style, not trying to emulate other skinners.

Ah, yes the legendary sixshooter m4 skin. just incredible
image_23026.jpg

Actually, that's Wannabe's skin. I don't see anything that Six or -X- skinned on that model.

EDIT: Actually I think -X- skinned the barrel and Sixshooter skinned the RIS foregrip. Other than that, it's all Wannabe's.

hey ankalar, do you use PS brushes for your scratches, or the good ol' dodge and burn ??

PS. if you do, could you post a link to them :thumbs:

A combination of default PS brushes and stock photos. You'll see :D

I'm going to make the UV mapping video today. Then I will get everything ready and waiting in two zip files (one for UV mapping and one for skinning). I'll contact Munro when this is all done and send him the zips. It will be up to him (and the HL2.net FTP server :p) as to when the videos will get out.

Back