upbeat27

Reaction score
Barret M82
Polycount: 2700 (tris)

Attachments

• barret.jpg
    barret.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 342
very nice detail, could you post a couple wireframes?
it would be easier to pick it apart

heres a wireframe though i dont know why you want it really

Attachments

• barret2.jpg
    barret2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 306
we ask for a wirefram to see where all the poly go. you can easily make that much lower polt count by removing some pots from the carrying handle.

Good model. Popular model hehe. Thats three so far on this board. It's interesting to note what we each chose to and chose not to model in each instance, like neither of you guys did the forward vents. And in your case you didn't hollow out the scope mount.

that is kinda amusig. i didn't do the vents because i was tryng not to use booleans. though it didn't really make a huge difference.

I didn't use booleans to do mine. Does Max have a 'bridge face' tool?

i don't know? could you explain what the tool does and then i'll know if we have a similar one.

Wireframes are for observing polly flow and polly distribution, as Sidewinder pointed out, you really are wasting pollys on the handle since it isnt going to be seen anyway.
its a great model, and actually from the composition I dont even think you need real guidance on poly reduction (you show enough knowledge to lead one to the conclusion you know what you are doing)

but just in case you want some tips on polly reduction for a v_wep here ya go.
are you going to texture it? is it for any mod? or just for fun?
anywhoo good job and keep it up.

Well depending on the crossproduct of the two faces(whether they face each other or face away from each other) it'll create a bridge between the two faces or remove both faces and the space between them.

I wrote a mini-tut on how to use way back:
http://hl2.burstfire.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2425

In short I modeled the shape of the vent on either side of the model and then bridged each opposite face. It's a little time consuming but worth it, no boolean madness.

it is for a mod, POI:GC
someones going to skin it, not me i dont know how to make skins, or at least ive never tried.

im gonna change the carrying handle but thats all that needs fixing.

ive seen the bridge technique in the xsi demo.tut.movie things, its coo but just use boolean and dont mess it up... and check the triangualation afterwords to see if it created any unneeded polys

edit: besides, the vents on the front dont actually connect, they are just holes for heating you know and there are way too many so it would take too many poygons

i would jsut texture the holes in, then use a normal map to make them look indented :cool:

Originally posted by upbeat27

edit: besides, the vents on the front dont actually connect, they are just holes for heating you know and there are way too many so it would take
too many poygons

Yeah I understand that they don't actually connect, the thing is it looks correct from the out side of the model, you can see the barrel through them.

Barrett looks small if all the games ive seen one in so far, when you see this in real life its coolio. The pressure wave when this thing is fired is awsome you can feel it from acouple feet away.

Back