Best Bass Solo

hm, I haven't really heard that many Bass solo's but of the few I have I'd have to say Geddy Lee during the song 'Driven' live.

Cool, that Billy Sheehan guy played for Mr. Big, who sing the best song I can remember from my childhood - "To Be With You"

Anyway, I haven't heard many bass solos, but "Rancid - Maxwell Murders" is pretty cool at the end.

(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth - Metallica - Kill 'em All - 1981

by Cliff Burton RIP

Any of Jason Newsted's live bass jigs circa 1988-1994

Also, the bass riff in 'My Friend of Misery' by Metallica is pretty sweet

StardogChampion said:
Anyway, I haven't heard many bass solos, but "Rancid - Maxwell Murders" is pretty cool at the end.

Hmm, is "Maxwell Murders" some how related to The Beatles song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" per chance?

Anything Chris Squire has done in footage of Yes playing live, same goes for the live Tony Levin Band footage of Tony Levin doing some awesome work. Then again, alot of Tony Levin Band is soloing anyway.

Other than that, for specific songs... umm, I dunno, can't think of all that many now I think about it. Megadeth have a good lot of short solos in their earlier work, namely Take No Prisoners from the Rust In Peace album.

Pssh. Billy Sheehan is nothing.

Try anything by Jaco Pastorius. Flea from RHCP is amazing, as is Victor Wooten.

And if you ask me, the best bassist of all time was James Jamerson, from back in the motown days.

Flea's solo in 'Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt' by The Mars Volta.
Or Juan's own solo in that song when played live, which was pretty much always different, but still awesome.

Oh yeah, Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt has a pretty neat solo, I forgot all about that. In fact, I forgot Flea did the bass line for that aswell as he did the line for Televators.

Unfortunatly, no bass solo when I saw them live. :(

Primus - Tommy the Cat has a craaaaazy couple seconds of xtreeeem playing which I had forgot about completly until I dug out Sailing the Seas of Cheese yesterday.

another vote for Jaco Pastorius, Chris Squire, Les Clayppol, Geddy Lee ..but dont forget the grandaddy of them all bootsy collins and close second Larry Graham

..as well as John Entwhistle, Geezer Butler (black Sabbath), John Paul Jones (led zep), Tony Levin (studio musician, a musician's musician), Tina Weymouth (talking Heads)

Death from above79, im sure doesn't have the best bass solo's but their album You're a Woman, I'm a Machine is definately worth a listen.

StardogChampion said:

QFT, but Les Claypool is the daddy.

Back