Best cell phone for internet browsing?

arch5

Spy
Reaction score
Title explains the point of this topic.

I'm looking for the best internet-browsing phone, that has 3G.

I don't want one of those 'fake' browsers on those normal phones that only display text and stuff, I want a good, full, reliable one.

I currently have an iPhone 3G- is that one pretty much the best?

EDIT: I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G.

Meh.
-dabomb29

The iPhone is an excellent choice for a smartphone. There's the Nokia E71x for only $99.99. Great deal for what you get. No touch screen if you're into that though.

The iPhone is an excellent choice for a smartphone. There's the Nokia E71x for only $99.99. Great deal for what you get. No touch screen if you're into that though.

Well, it depends. Is the Nokia E71x internet browser fast (not in terms of bandwidth speed, I mean does it lag and stuff), and does it have a 'full' internet browser or one of those 'fake' ones?

I don't own one myself. I've only had hands-on experience with it from a friend. When I browsed the web for things I found the browser to be fast and responsive. Pages loaded quickly and looked great on the screen. No issues at all that I knew of. I'd say it's almost as good as the iPhone's, though I think navigating is a bit easier on the iPhone(or maybe I'm just used to it).

I got Blackjack II, which I'm happy with. The only downside so far are, a) the phone must stay on if I need the wake-up-alarm, b) its got Win Mobile 6, which like your PCs must be rebooted every now and then, and c) I must be thorough with emails for infections.
I dropped it on the floor, God knows how many times, so its rigid, the screen is pretty nice, but not as nice as Apple's, and keyboard little small for my fingers.
Its got Java, Flash, Shockwave and WMP, IE7 for videos, sound and surfing, but no Realplayer.
Overall I'm happy with it 80%

Good Luck.

I don't own one myself. I've only had hands-on experience with it from a friend. When I browsed the web for things I found the browser to be fast and responsive. Pages loaded quickly and looked great on the screen. No issues at all that I knew of. I'd say it's almost as good as the iPhone's, though I think navigating is a bit easier on the iPhone(or maybe I'm just used to it).

Can you steam Youtube videos?

iPhone 3G is the best you're going to get in a mobile phone - Alternatively the Nokia n810 is probably the best mobile web experience (although not being a mobile phone)

nokia-n819.jpg

Better battery life and an OLED screen worth the upgrade from a 3G tho? I'm tied into an 18 month contract :(

Also, I wonder if the digital compass is required for the tomtom sat nav app they are releasing this summer ...

I have read a few palm pre reviews and they say it is equal to the iphone regarding web page display. Some think it's text wrap for web pages is actually better. But that's sprint network atm and you already have an iphone which is at the top of the totem pole.

What about an itouch so you don't get interrupted with a phone call while browsing?

If you have the money, you should wait for the Nokia N97, it will come with a touch screen as well as a QWERTY keyboard. Nokia's browser is pretty good(on their high-end phones) and there are a lot available for Symbian OS.
nokia_n97_ubergizmo.jpg

I have read a few palm pre reviews and they say it is equal to the iphone regarding web page display. Some think it's text wrap for web pages is actually better. But that's sprint network atm and you already have an iphone which is at the top of the totem pole.

What about an itouch so you don't get interrupted with a phone call while browsing?

From what I've read of the pre the touch screen is arguably as good as the iphone's, but the interface is inferior. I'm actually amazed that the iphone has been around for nearly 5 years, and nobody has created a better touch screen yet. I'm doubly amazed that it seemed this forum is actually in positive agreement over an apple product.

My dad has a Nokia web device with wifi. Sort of like the picture above but no keyboard. Works really nice for him.

Im tying this with my new sony ericsson c705. Hl2.net looks the same as it does on my pc and conncted through my wifi

I did a lot of hands-on research before getting my new phone and can without hesitation say that the iPhone 3G is the best phone out there for just about anything, esp. when you take the app store into account. Brilliant stuff and the $99 USD pricetag was far to good to pass up. No reason now for everyone not to have one.

Im tying this with my new sony ericsson c705. Hl2.net looks the same as it does on my pc and conncted through my wifi

Ah, but notice the spelling errors...telling figures indeed. :p

well I just installed the 3.0 update, my favorite features:

-Copy/paste, very easy to use, it can copy text and images

-Spotlight, scrolling left from the home screen gets you spotlight, where you can search the whole phone. Typing "Se" gets me 2 people in my contacts, the settings menu, messages in my facebook app, a few emails, and a dozen pages from my internet history.

-Safari has gotten an upgrade, it's a bit smoother now.

Back