Best Debut Album

spinkitten

Reaction score
While artists/bands can change a whole lot throughout their career, it all starts off with their debut - most bands can't often match the success of their debut and get swallowed up by their sophomore efforts, while some artists go from strength to strength, anyhow here are some of mine:

Jeff Buckley - Grace (Sadly, his only studio effort)
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea (Alas, their only album)
REM - Murmur (after listening to their latest album, you'll really want to remind yourself why u like this band)
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Muse - Showbiz - there seems to be quite a few Muse fans on this forum, which is a good thing, they always get put-down as a Radiohead-like band, but personally i see their main influences are from the 70's - prog bands like Queen, Yes, Genesis etc.

Machine Head's "Burn My Eyes" debut is still their best album, and one of the heaviest I've listened to. Same with Korn's, without the "heaviest ever" comment. :)

I would have to say Linkin Park, because all of the songs on Hybrid Theory could have been singles. They were all top-quality songs, which is rare for debut artists.

However, the first album I bought from a debut artist was Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe". It was a differnt type of rock for that time, which made it unique.

Gomez comes to mind instantly for me. I was blown away by Bring It On, and while I still more or less enjoy each of their subsequent releases, I don't feel like any of them have that brilliant fusion and focus in sound that impressed me so much listening to their debut.

For me

Jeff Buckley - Grace

The accolades have all been sung about this album it's just superb. For such a young talent he's crafted an amazing album. From the tracks Grace, Last Goodbye to the cover of Cohens Hallelujah .. it's simply wonderfull and is a required album for any collection.

eels - Beautifull Freak

My personal favourite band , I loved this album when I first heard it and still love it to bits. For me they have their own sound that is apart from everything else .. *love it*

Pearl Jam - Ten

Rock.

Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium

Wow.

Bad^Hat said:
Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium

Wow.

YES.

Also,
The Postal Service - Give Up is very good for a debut.

Led Zeppelin - I
Jeff Beck - Truth
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

De-Loused in the Comatorium for me. Best album ever.

please make the distinction between 'best' and 'favorite' otherwise this forum will become meaningless.

Best debute album:

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley

Hot Soup said:
For me

Jeff Buckley - Grace

The accolades have all been sung about this album it's just superb. For such a young talent he's crafted an amazing album. From the tracks Grace, Last Goodbye to the cover of Cohens Hallelujah .. it's simply wonderfull and is a required album for any collection.

eels - Beautifull Freak

My personal favourite band , I loved this album when I first heard it and still love it to bits. For me they have their own sound that is apart from everything else .. *love it*

Pearl Jam - Ten

Rock.

What he said. But I'd also like to add Apple by Mother Love Bone (only studio release), and Third Eye Blinds debut self titled album.

'Oasis - Definitely Maybe' was the best debut rock album ever.

'John Mayer - Room For Squares' was the best debut pop/rock album ever.

A few albums that were close, but didn't quite make it:

Elbow - Asleep In The Back
Embrace - The Good Will Out
Kula Shaker - K
Coldplay - Parachutes
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

"Mother Love Bone - Apple" (didn't get promoted much since the lead singer Andrew Wood (top of pic) accidentally OD'd on heroin. 2 of the members went on to form Pearl Jam who also had an amazing first album called Ten)

best debut albums of all time (had most impact)

Led Zeppelin 1 or Van Halen 1

I think that Third Eye Blind's debut is a masterpiece that was unmatched by any other effort of theirs. You may hear their poppy radio hits (doo doo doo), but that album has some real substance and emotion. I highly recommend it.

Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Dredg - Leitmotif
Orgy - Candyass
Korn - s/t

Cerpin said:
De-Loused in the Comatorium for me. Best album ever.

a-****ing-men.

slipknot's self-titled debut was amazing and brought about this age of 'nu-metal'. nothing theyve made since then has been any good, but this CD was just pure energy... simply kick-ass!

othello said:
a-****ing-men.

slipknot's self-titled debut was amazing and brought about this age of 'nu-metal'. nothing theyve made since then has been any good, but this CD was just pure energy... simply kick-ass!

I'd say they helped bring it, not created it. Korn and the Deftones originally brought the style.

P-Lo said:
I'd say they helped bring it, not created it. Korn and the Deftones originally brought the style.

ehhhhh... kinda. slipknots sound is more hardcore. korn and deftones definitely brought about a new style of 'metal', but i would say that slipknot is a much different sound, and they sparked all these nu-metal bands (mudvanyne, murderdolls, hatebreed, mushroomhead, etc...)

othello said:
ehhhhh... kinda. slipknots sound is more hardcore. korn and deftones definitely brought about a new style of 'metal', but i would say that slipknot is a much different sound, and they sparked all these nu-metal bands (mudvanyne, murderdolls, hatebreed, mushroomhead, etc...)

Well, Hatebreed isn't considered nu-metal. They're actually considered Hardcore. Yes most of those bands can fit with nu-metal, so do bands like Disturbed, Papa Roach, Coal Chamber. Btw, Mushroomhead pwns. Too bad one of their singers left ;(

P-Lo said:
Well, Hatebreed isn't considered nu-metal. They're actually considered Hardcore. Yes most of those bands can fit with nu-metal, so do bands like Disturbed, Papa Roach, Coal Chamber. Btw, Mushroomhead pwns. Too bad one of their singers left ;(

papa roach? disturbed? both of those arent considered nu-metal imo. coal chamber is even contendable.

I don't see the importance of this lil discussion of ours anyway, so wutevah and Mars Volta kicks ass. \m/ ><

Korn, Faith No More and Deftones set the standard for nu-metal, while bands like Limp Bizkit, Disturbed and Papa Roach kept it alive. I'd hardly consider Slipknot nu-metal, they're in a whole different league, and appeared when nu-metal was starting to fall over and die. They pretty much helped get rid of the genre (along with all of this retro revival rubbish). And Mushroomhead formed waay before Slipknot were even able to get out of Iowa, so they weren't influenced by them (depsite the masks, fans of Mushroomhead even think Slipknot rip them off).

Meh, the genre's 90% crap anyway. :p And since when were Murderdolls nu-metal? They're a glam rock band, a genre that's been more or less dead since the 80s.

Back