Best Martial Arts?

Which art of discipline is t3h Pwn!?!?!?

• Kung...FU!

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Karate

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Judo

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Penis fighting...

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Drunk Boxing...

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, well, I personally would never risk shit with a gun involved. Too much of an easy way to die in my opinion. :p

Heheh, a little trick my thai boxin teacher told me was to give the wallet or mobile or whatever to the hand with the knife. That way they either have to change hands (Crack - them = dead) OR they cross hands (SMASH - them = dead)

Yeah, he was phyco ;)

Oh and on the note about stupid people running if they think your a tough taget couldn't be any more right :)

My teacher also told me a little story about him when he was in his prime in thai land.

And guy with a katana or similar came up to him and demanded his money.....

Master Lec (My teacher) said (in Thai) "Come on then!" "Bring it!!" (Or similar ;))

And the guy droped the sword and ran off :O lmao!
Heheh, scared the guy shitless. But then I expect it must of....

Master lec has also tought us about some of the interstyle meetings he used to attend. He said that once he spared with a tai kwon do guy and that he tried to kick him in the lower leg. Bad BAD idea. Thai boxers train there shins (Kung fu might too) They fell over and starting crying like a baby. Not to put a slur on tai kwon do but honestly. You think he would have known not to do that! lol :rolling:

Anyway, me go sleep now, I will bring the thread bk to life tomorrow :p

Haha... the irony in that is incredible...

I'm pretty sure he meant KUNG FOO'!

Farrowlesparrow said:
Invincible eh? Remarkable, although if someone hits you first your pretty buggered, and if they bring a knife, well you might as well just drop your pants right there and then.

Not really. I've watched part of the worldwide demonstration tour by Shaolin monks. In one component, a sharp sword is thrusted onto a monk's neck, and I watched it (the sword not the neck) bend and break into fragments. With sufficient preparation and warming up (let loose the flow of Qi), I don't think he can be harmed with any knife. A veteran in this type of Qi Gong can kill a healthy strong man with one punch.

Sorze said:
And katanas can slice through cars!!1!111!

Did you mean that Tai-Chi means the Ultimate Form or what? Because "tai" means body and "chi" means wisdom ;)

I hope you were joking :)

Your definition of Tai Chi is totally off. I guess you aren't Chinese. And yes, according to Yi Ching, Tai Chi does mean the Ultimate Form.

Guys keep 'em coming, this is a great thread! not like some of the others...

Zoorado, yeah I've seen shaolin monks do stuff like that as well, but like you said, they need preparation and warming up (I still don't understand how the hell they do it though...). No one man can take a knife thrust to his body without getting harmed, if just stabbed without warning on the street or whatever.

Marksman, about thai boxers.. It seems a whole lot of the time practicing muay thai is spent just trying to make your shins (and other stuff) harder.. Not my kind of training, I tell you that. Thai boxers are tough people, usually though.

Your definition of Tai Chi is totally off. I guess you aren't Chinese. And yes, according to Yi Ching, Tai Chi does mean the Ultimate Form.

No I'm not chinese, I'm swedish, and I practice Shorinji Kempo, which is a japanese martial art. I'm 100 % sure that's the meaning of (the words) tai chi, but that's in japanese..

Update: I thought I might've remembered it wrong when all you guys were saying differently, but I just checked it 2 mins ago, in a wordlist I got from back when I started practicing. And "thai" does mean body, and chi does mean wisdom.
In japanese :p

And about certain people being invincible... again, not because of their discipline, these are the kind of people who've practiced their art since they were small, and practice all day, every day (Shaolin monks for example), and that makes them damn good. I don't believe in some kind of magic style of fighting that makes you unbeatable....

Judo ownz :)

Unlike most martial arts it involves full contact (of course you have kick boxing etc - but very few ppl who practise this actually fight properly) which requires you to be extremely fit and flelxible (a 3 minute fight is harder than a 5 set game of tennis)

Karate bored the hell out of me - moving up and down a hall and practising kata for hours doesn't do it for me. Even when we got to 'fight' it was very unsatisfying - nothing compared to throwing someone through the air and watching them thump to the ground - or strangling them till they go purple \o/

I did JuJitsu for a few years aswell - bascially Karate mixed with Judo - but the grappling and ground techniques of your average JuJitsu practitioner is terrible ........... and why they always get slaughtered by Judo players in cross over competitions.

Street fights arn't about fancy kicks and punches - fights always deteriorate to rolling about on the floor, which is basically what Judo is .. plus you actually get to practise this - unlike most martial arts. To be real hard I can't think of a better basis than Judo.

Trouble with judo is that if the other person can punch and the judo guy can't. The judo guy is skrewed. Generally speaking.

I like judo. Its great but I would rather hit them than throw them on the ground. Even if they do land hard.

Anyone can punch :) And of course Judo alone wouldn't be enough.

I just meant that in real fights ppl don't square off and punch and kick each other ( Boxing/Kick Boxing/Karate tournies etc) There's usually one or two punches/headbuts/knees :) and then it's all close combat grappling stuff. This is where throws/holds/locks/strangles really make the difference. Judo is the best for that.

Yeah, you would be supprised at how many people can't punch lol.

Also, your right, judo owns at grappling. I did it myself for a fair while. Its helped alot with my other stuff. Its also great for footwork. :)

But thai boxing is great at self defence. It has punches, kicks, elbos, knees, headbutts.... (don't ask) and grappling too! :)

Best thing is it combines them all simply and effectively. Plus its the best bloody workout your'l ever get :p.

There are grappling techniques in thai boxing ??
I'm pretty sure they don't learn any grappling etc. where I live..

Maybe they're just not doing it right ... :eek:

There's alot of grappling in Shorinji Kempo, and I think that's just as fun as sparring and fighting. We don't do any grappling while lying down though, which is a shame, because that can be pretty useful..

Heheh, yeah theres grappling. My teacher tought us how muay thai is suppost to be tought. As self defence.
Admitadly the grappling is basic with few things like locks but there are some throws and some other little things that let you hold out against alot of basic techniques an oponent might know. In fact in thai boxing I even learn how to catch a kick and throw the guy over. Its possible believe it or not. Takes alot of timeing but it works.

Great times.... I had to move though. So I havn't actually done any martial arts at a club for ages. :(

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Heheh, yeah theres grappling. My teacher tought us how muay thai is suppost to be tought. As self defence.
Admitadly the grappling is basic with few things like locks but there are some throws and some other little things that let you hold out against alot of basic techniques an oponent might know. In fact in thai boxing I even learn how to catch a kick and throw the guy over. Its possible believe it or not. Takes alot of timeing but it works.

Great times.... I had to move though. So I havn't actually done any martial arts at a club for ages. :(

Cool about the grappling, I didn't know that. About your teacher, he seems like a cool guy. I think the thaiboxing going on around here is mostly for sport, and I don't believe sport is a good reason for practicing martial arts..

I feel sorry for you about not being able to practice anything now :bonce:
I've been sick for about a week and so I haven't practiced, and man.... I walk around my house kicking in the air and practicing my techniques, the urge to practice is so damn strong! just from a week of absence!

Disclaimer: not because I'm a violent guy, but because practicing is fun....

Back