Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Firefly/Serenity

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Stargate

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other (please say)

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters
Linklater's been hit for the most part. Slacker, Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, Before Sunset, After Sunset, School of Rock. And A Scanner Darkly is one of Dick's best books and you know Linklater is a fan of Dick so I'm not too worried. And plus, I've watched the trailer at least 20 times because I think its that good. That's gonna count for something.

I've never seen slacker, didnt like dazed and confused all that much (I lived through the tail end of that era and thought he got most of it wrong) ..I really liked waking life but was bored with before sunset ..although Julie Delpy makes me tingle

ya I'm mostly basing it on the fact that Keanu Reeves is in it ..he's rarely good ..despite the fact that I like him as a person

link for trailer please

I'll have to wait to watch it when I get home ;(

ah I didnt realise that it was rotoscoped like waking life ..a scanner darkly is one of the few Dick books I havent read ..think I'll have to pick it up before release

Anyone who doesn't like Uclasion Chronicles should be shot.

-Angry Lawyer

The Matrix? :p

Off that list, i voted Star Wars because it still makes me go al funny when i see light sabers and force powers and a child inside me is overjoyed with it all.

Noone has mentioned Dune, is that not science fiction? I guess the film is pretty long and not that great.

I am relaly into the new series' of BSG... but it isnt great, as in the background, story or even characters... its just entertaining to watch.

CptStern said:
didnt like dazed and confused all that much (I lived through the tail end of that era and thought he got most of it wrong)

I'm not arguing the merits of dazed and confused, but how old were you in 1976? I thought you were 30 and if that's the case you were born in 75 or 76, right? How could you possibly know what it was like to be a high school student in 1976 and furthermore tell people it's wrong?

What was wrong about it anyway. Wrong clothes, wrong cars, wrong language? I don't understand.

CptStern said:
edcrab stuff?

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=2079707

“YOU WILL TASTE MY WRATH!”

Ah, where would I be without giant killer robots imprisoned in ancient alien relics?

Thanks for the pimpage, AL :D :imu:

The only sci-fi series I watched religiously was Red Dwarf. I love things that don't take themselves so seriously- but I also watched quite a bit of Star Trek in my time, because it was the done thing.

I liked Star Wars as well- it's high-fantasy space opera, basically wuxia with droids and lightsabres. Star Trek is a lot more down to earth and... well, dull, basically, but the universe tends to be more political and less simplified.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid being killed by either faction right now.

But for "lower" sci-fi, the first Terminator and its sequel really resonated (and still do) for me...

I like Star Trek when it involves Patrick Stewart. ie, First Contact. With hilarious hippy space rocket designers and SHOOTING WITH A TOMMY-GUN.

What would you do if Patrick Stewart defected and became a Jedi knight?

"Make it so!"

* Jedi Master Picard performs a Force Push

Fishlore said:
I'm not arguing the merits of dazed and confused, but how old were you in 1976? I thought you were 30 and if that's the case you were born in 75 or 76, right? How could you possibly know what it was like to be a high school student in 1976 and furthermore tell people it's wrong?

What was wrong about it anyway. Wrong clothes, wrong cars, wrong language? I don't understand.

I'm older than 30 ..so is my brother ..I saw a lot through him. I cant pick specifics as I saw the movie years ago but I do remember that, as in most period films, everyone just looked the part ..they dressed exactly like someone who tries to remember what people in the 70's dressed like but doesnt quite get it right ..that 70's show does the same thing .. ..not too mention that everyone was pretty ..which is odd because the 70's is hands down one of the ugliest decades in recent history

oh and I thought the first terminator was by far the best one ..leaps and bounds better than the rest

no ..the simple fact that they had to make arnie a good guy puts it well below the first one ...it's a good action flick but it cant compare to the first one

Agreed. Terminator 2 is a great fun movie, but the original craps on it.

If Robocop qualifies, that's my fave sci-fi movie, closely followed by Blade Runner and the Star Wars series. I used to watch Logan's Run and West World with my dad all the time as a kid, and still have a soft spot in my heart for them too.

the first robocop was great

absolutely love westworld ..seen it at least a dozen times ..yul brenner creeped me out

logan's run was good for it's time ...but dont know if I could watch it now

anyone ever see Zardoz? ...yup that's Sean connery

ya it was silly but the movie wasnt all that bad

Zardoz was the weird movie with the aztec type masks and a big flyng stone head?

I watched Logan's Run again the other day and still enjoyed it - probably nostalgia, but I think it still has something special.

Warbie said:
Zardoz was the weird movie with the aztec type masks and a big flyng stone head?

yup that's it

zardoz.jpg

...dont forget the dancing pixie people who worhshipped the giant head

funny how ven that movie had social political undertones ...that's almost completely gone from today's sci-fi movies ..now it's all about fx, the plot/ideas is secondary

Not to drag it back into the discussion, but I've always held the second terminator movie in much higher regard. Not only has it aged better (the first now is so eighties-tastic it hurts), but I just find it generally more watchable and interesting.

well depending on how you look at it ..t2 is an action movie that hits all the right points in terms of what you expect out an action movie: it has "summer blockbuster" written all over it. T1 is a plot driven movie with action. It plays low key, in comparison to t2 and is far more tense as a result. Although I felt true menace from the real star of t2 (t1000) ..the movie focused more on arnie ..which I thought were some of the more duller moments. T1 in comaprison wasnt a star vehicle for any of the actors so they all got equal screen time ..it's arnie's best film and a role he could never reproduce after becoming a star.

I felt T2 had everything T1 had and much more. It had plot and it had action, satisfying everyone. Terminator, of course, is amazing as well, but something...clicks with T2.

Terminator 2 was cheesey as hell. I agree with Stern here - it's a great action flick, but lacks the tension and unrelenting menace that made the original. I mean come on, a nice Terminator who makes friends with a young boy and goes on an adventure. It's like they took the original and added a healthy portion of Short Circuit, with a side order of extra action and big explosions.

Very different movies.

firefly followed closely by the original star wars trilogy, the first two Alien movies and Blade Runner.

T2 is far far better then t1 imo, it's plot is far more complex and interesting, as is the narrative. Add to that the far more interesting nemessis. The first one is little more then an avrage B movie.

I think they're both just as good. It's a personal choice you make between a more complex, interesting, expansive film and a narrower, tenser, more menacing and nightmarish experience.

Sulkdodds said:
I think they're both just as good. It's a personal choice you make between a more complex, interesting, expansive film and a narrower, tenser, more menacing and nightmarish experience.
You're probably right, you know what i am going to watch the first one with a different set of mind a nd expectations, that improved the first matrix, maybe it will do the trick here.

I've already cast my vote, but I might as well throw out...

"Bebop...Beeebop."

*prepares to be vilified*

I'll actually agree with the "menace" part of T1 being much more intense. I think perhaps the problem comes in with my earlier statement about how it hasn't aged as well. A lot of younger viewers, myself included, who couldn't watch it until the mid nineties probably had some of it ruined by the fact that it seemed rather dated.

DeusExMachina said:
The budget couldn't possibly afford them.

Well, what about Terminator 3? That movie as pretty sweet right?

*okay, REALLY prepares to be vilified*

Greatgat said:
Well, what about Terminator 3? That movie as pretty sweet right?

*okay, REALLY prepares to be vilified*

*vilifies*
*feeds remains to orphans*

I just love Stargate, just the sort of thing I grew up with. I dont get why some people think its so crap.

cuz it stars mcgyer and the effects are kinda cheesey and so are the storylines (imho)

Ennui said:
firefly followed closely by the original star wars trilogy, the first two Alien movies and Blade Runner.

Yay except for star wars.

Back