Best Video Game Music/Theme Song

Without a doubt it has to be Chrono Cross. The best soundtrack for any RPG EVER!!...Maybe Dragon quest 8 is also pretty good, but Chrono Cross is the best.

You have got to be kidding me! A thread about the best game music and absolutely NO mention of the Monkey Island series??? You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

***Disclaimer: Just kidding, but it has easily my favorite game music ever.***

VictimOfScience said:
You have got to be kidding me! A thread about the best game music and absolutely NO mention of the Monkey Island series??? You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

yep, ya beat me to it. (seeing as Monkey island's main theme was the first song I taught myself to play on guitar)

also, C&C (all)
Crusader (both, no remorse, no regret)
Enigma force (c64)
Quake 1 (NIN), quake 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Mechwarrior: Mercenaries

el Chi said:
I want Psychonauts. SO badly. BUt it's not out over here until next weeek. I mean what the HELL? Stupid Europe.
On second thoughts, stupid publishers.

You think you've got problems. It's been out in Australia since November 25th, supposedly, but i've never actually seen it anywhere in stores and neither has anyone else I know or have talked to. Plus I'm 14, so no credit card.

Jintor said:
You think you've got problems. It's been out in Australia since November 25th, supposedly, but i've never actually seen it anywhere in stores and neither has anyone else I know or have talked to. Plus I'm 14, so no credit card.

Arg I can't find it either!

C&C: Hell March (rocks, I love those songs that bring back such good memories)

GTA1! (that women hairy song when you get in the pickup)

Diablo series
Deus Ex
Fallout series
Baldur's Gate

And plenty more :p

Tetris, Mario, and the Final Fantasy prelude - gaming music doesn't get more memorable than these.

Outcast - Moscow Symphony Orchestra, ffs.
or maybe that echoey Diablo guitar. "Shtay a while and lishen..."

-Viper- said:
No one's mentioned the Monkey Island series? ARGH!
If you look closely, I think this guy mentions it somewhere here in this post on page 3 of this thread:
VictimOfScience said:

Main Theme's of...

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Hitman 2

VictimOfScience said:
If you look closely, I think this guy mentions it somewhere here in this post on page 3 of this thread:
Dohnuts.

Westwood studios music is teh best. Red Alert series, Tiberian Sun etc had awesome music!

Also, Quake 2 had pwnage music.

Dont forget Diablo1/2, also great music!

Darkside55 said:

OMG, I thought I was the only person who remembered this, possibly the greatest Sonic game, and its ace soundtrack. I used to pump up the volume on my Mega CD and spin the game as a music CD quite often as a kid. Ridiculous Japanese rapping and drugged up techno ftw. CHOO CHOO SONIC WATER!

I second the people who mentioned:
FF7
Baldur's Gate
Hitman 2
Grim Fandango

Some of my own:
ROAD RASH!!
Rings of Power (megadrive...now, I KNOW I'm the only person who remembers this one)
Panzer Dragoon series
Planescape (was nice although it ripped off the theme tune from Speed)
Wipeout also always had something cool about it's music

probably the best music from a game, would have to be

Shadow of the colossus. Wholy **** is it amazing... no other game can compair with its style.. or even finess of building up tension within fights. (with exception of the final fantasy series)

PEACE

Mikey:eek:

Max Payne 2. Oh yes. And Mafia of course.

I think Zelda's soundtrack is overrated. Some good catchy tunes but nothing you'd want to listen to outside of the game.

System Shock II's soundtrack is pretty good. I usually despise Techno type of music but SS2's works.

Cannon Fodder

-EDIT- Some of the Zelda music I hold in high regard.

Most notably the Temple Of Time music. That was awesome. And I can't be the only person thats heard the orchestral versions of the Zelda music can I?

Because that was awesome too.

Legend of Zelda
Medal of Honour (Like it or not, this music absolutely kicks ass, anyone heard the theme from the level "Arnhem" in Frontline with the child choir singing? The best (and saddest) song ever made in a video game)
Call of Duty (still can't hold a candle to MOH though)

Doom1/2 (cant go wrong with the old doom music, have you heard any of the remixes? they are so freaking AWESOME! http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00580/ )
Unreal2k4
Half life 1/2
Mercenaries(has some really good music in it, which is interactive in the game)
Diablo 1/2 (has some really good background music)
F.E.A.R. had some really creepy background music, and the awesome theme song.

Quest for Glory 1 had really catchy music, considering the inherent limitations of the old MIDI sound cards. I can still hum the Dryad Music, the Title Music, and the Goblin Training Grounds music now, despite not having played the game in probably eight or nine years.

Oh, Tetris, especially some of the remixes you can find on the internet. For more modern games, the "Arrival at Stormwind" music from World of Warcraft is just amazing. Of course, Diablo's haunting woodwinds and guitars really capture your imagination, and I find myself humming the Terran Starcraft songs. So, hmm, let's recap: Quest For Glory I, Tetris, and anything from Blizzard.

Back