Best Voice Acting EVER!

amneziac85

Reaction score
Wow...just...wow. The voice acting in these demos is the best ive ever heard.

When you come down the elevator and talk to Dr. Eli Vance the voice acting is so real, you feel comfort in hearing and seeing him.
Then when I noticed he lost his leg, my first instant emotion was sadness quickly followed by the desire for revenge! Without thinking, I mumbled to myself, "Point me to the basterd", referring to whoever took the leg.

Let me know what you guys think about the spoiler and the voice acting.

EDIT: added spoiler.

Well emotional response is always a cool thing to have in an immersive game, I wonder how he lost his leg, and I wonder how he escaped blackmesa from all the way down in the test chamber, the crazy tales of black mesa.

I thought when all those citizens got mowed down by the strider under the pillars was quite a deppressing moment.

Yeah, it's great, I don't think they could have any more suitable voices.

I LOVE how the G-Man speaks, so mysterious and sinister. "Wake up Mr Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes..."
It sends shivers down my spine. :eek:

...he lost his leg?! I had no idea :'( Maybe that wasn't such a spoiler to people who've been following every detail religiously, but I hadn't seen that!

i agree the voices are superbly done, a hell of alot better than farcry's thats for sure

Even better than System Shock 2's voices, and thats a hard thing to do.

They'll probably show how he lost his leg in one of the expansions.

The guy who does Eli's voice is a real actor, and has done some work on TV. I can't recall the name but all the summaries of the movie seem to mention it.

ohh the voice acting is great

i have decided that atmosphere makes a great game and by the looks of it hl2 has quite the atmosphere :p

Half-Life 2 has pretty good voice acting... havent seen the high quality E3 2004 video yet though.

PS. I love your avatar Lukes Wall. :D

Maybe when they remake HL1 in source they will have eli with a limping leg injury when u meet him after the incident.

Interviews with the voice actors would be a good addition to the Collector's Edition.

dæmon said:
Interviews with the voice actors would be a good addition to the Collector's Edition.

I agree 100%. But they might want to keep the voices with the faces on the game, kinda how you dont talk because you are gordan, youll never see an interview with them because they are the character.

What I think is great is the way that they're making all the characters that much more real.

When you're walking through the building at the beginning, you feel as if the world would exist even if you weren't there, and the NPCs seem people I would be genuinely upset to see die.

What really gets me are the very human moans from the headcarb zombies - I amazingly actually felt empathy for them.

I really am looking forward to this game.

i liked the part where gordan is in the hallway of the apartment and theres a man hugging a woman on the couch,
she:what are we going to do?
he: dont worry, we'll think of something.

that whole scene is just powerful. the emotion in their voices is just right. made me want to find a gun right fast and start kicking ass.

Direwolf said:
The guy who does Eli's voice is a real actor, and has done some work on TV. I can't recall the name but all the summaries of the movie seem to mention it.

As if the other voices weren't done by professional actors.

the voice acting is out of this world!

I mean the lady and the man in that appartment room and he is comforting her! WoW

I should have said a famous actor. And with videogames you never know who the hell they put behind the mike. Hobos maybe.

According to Gamespy the voice of Eli is done by Robert Guillaume, apparently he is quite well know, never heard of this guy.

The last time voice acting blew me away in a game was in Grim Fandango. But that was an adventure game. Never saw outstanding voice acting in an FPS before.

Yeah I knew it was the black dude from sports night. The way he talks is a give away.

PvtRyan said:
According to Gamespy the voice of Eli is done by Robert Guillaume, apparently he is quite well know, never heard of this guy.

His filmography. He's done many voiceovers for large Disney productions, it seems. Heck, he was even in Big Fish. Impressive.

Oh shit...thats Benson, lmao. I use to watch that show wit my grandma when I was little. Yea he was also in the first movie I ever saw in the theater "Lean on Me". Yea hes a good actor.

I have only one question. . .

Who's doing Gordan's voice? ;D

Who the hell voiced Father Gregori.... his voice is so familiar.. its either some other game or a cartoon... but I just cant place it.

azz0r said:
Why does G-man speak so fragmented though?
its part of his manifesto, plus you usually only catch good ol G' when he had a few too many drinks the night before.

because he's an
ALIEN!!
just kidding. probably because he's a creepy all-powerful bulletproof man/being.

amneziac85 said:
Wow...just...wow. The voice acting in these demos is the best ive ever heard.

I don't know if it would qualify for the best ever, but it's top notch stuff.

Sideswiped said:
I don't know if it would qualify for the best ever, but it's top notch stuff.

Name another game that is better. And it can not be from a cut scene. It has to be in game

GMAN IS A ROBOTS!??!1 A COMBAYNE! WTF OMG

Yeh I know, how do I do it..

Yeah i was wondering why his voice was all funny, almost like it was computer generated.

I'd like to know the voice actor for gman.. hrm

"welllll mr. freeeeman, i speak like thissss because i suffer frrom a very sssserious disorder called voice imodulation dissssorder...."(you know, will farrell skit on snl)

:cheers: Very very nice voice acting, now you know one of the reasons why Valve wanted more time for the game... to perfect all the shits for our asses.

I think the gman has a stutter, a slight speech impediment. I like the touch, it's a little foible that makes him seem a bit more human, while adding a touch of menace to his speech.

Back