BF2 hardware thread

The Video Card Controversy Part 2

Popular Technology.net has posted an interesting article called "Battlefield 2: The Video Card Controversy Part 2":

http://www.populartechnology.net/

Battlefield 2 requires new hardware in order to even startup, while in the past games have required new hardware in order to run smoothly at higher detail and resolution levels. Besides the fact that the minimum supported hardware, a Radeon 8500 is slower then the non-supported GeForce 4 Ti. With the upcoming release of Battlefield Modern Combat on the Xbox making this all the more laughable. Battlefield Modern Combat will be the Battlefield 2 Xbox port. The Xbox uses a tweaked version of the GeForce 3 running PS 1.3 and is programmed for in DirectX. This is clearly showing that DICE can make the Battlefield 2 engine run on GeForce 3/4 Ti hardware.

Upgrading
Many users attempted to respond by telling people to upgrade their video cards. Claiming the issue was no big deal and an upgrade was only $50. These people obviously do not grasp the situation nor understand the economics behind this ignorant response. GeForce 4 Ti owners, especially 4600 and 4800 owners paid over $375-$400 for their cards back in 2003. At the time this was the top of the line card. It played Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam on the highest detail levels. Battlefield Vietnam was released only last year. GeForce 3/4 Ti owners completely understand that newer games will not be able to be played at the highest detail levels but being unable to even start the game is unacceptable.

AGP will be replaced with PCIe entirely. The latest GeForce 7800 is PCIe only and SLI can only be found on PCIe. When these owners upgrade they would obviously be going for a PCIe video card, requiring a new Mainboard, CPU and Memory. If they looked to run the game on the recommended hardware, this so-called "upgrade" is now pushing $1000. Not a $50 "fix" that would actually give them worse performance in other games

anyone know why the game might not be working on a Radeon mobility 9000 when the demo worked just fine on it?

i figured this was the thread to put this:

i have an amd3000+, i gig corsair select 2700ddr ram, xfx 6800gt, and bf2 runs in all high settings(and aa2x) except texture(medium). I had lag throughout the game, but turning down texture solved all my computer lag problems. just to let someone know if they have the same problem.

I've got a P4 2.8, 1 gig DDR400 ram, 9600XT...and I run everything LOW LOW LOW LOW!!
I get great frames that way, but when I go to medium, its only on certain maps that I lag. I am wondering if it is maybe the view distance... oh well..I don't remember the point of this thread...just me ranting :)

I just got this computer -

AMD 64 3200+
1gb pc3200 ram
Leadtek 6800GT pci-e
K8N4 Platinum mobo

I ran BF2 forgetting that I had to patch to 1.02...so naturally I quit and patch it. I patch and try to get back into BF2 and it just sits at a black screen doing nothing at all. It locks me up here because I can't alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, you name it.

WTF.

AmishSlayer said:

AMD 64 3200+
1gb pc3200 ram
Leadtek 6800GT pci-e
K8N4 Platinum mobo

I ran BF2 forgetting that I had to patch to 1.02...so naturally I quit and patch it. I patch and try to get back into BF2 and it just sits at a black screen doing nothing at all. It locks me up here because I can't alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, you name it.

WTF.
WAY TO GO! :thumbs: :)

AmishSlayer said:

AMD 64 3200+
1gb pc3200 ram
Leadtek 6800GT pci-e
K8N4 Platinum mobo

WTF.

Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it and patch it before you run it again. Something may have become corrupt.

I solved the problem. Everything was eventually locking up and it was pissing me off. My roomate mentioned ram and I tested out a stick of 256 I had laying around. Everything worked fine. So I popped in some other ram and everything's peachy.

How well would my. AMD 64 3000+ and 1gb ram and 6600GT run it?

Solaris said:
How well would my. AMD 64 3000+ and 1gb ram and 6600GT run it?

Medium to mostly high if u don't blow up the resolution too much.

Does anybody else's video card overheat when playing this game with max settings?

Yeah, I mainly did this so this subforum will revive.

Yeah, mine used to. Blown the dust out of your computer recently?

Oh, also, this subforum is as dead as Battlefield 2, which, I can assure you, is fucking dead. No </3 Pitzy, but you've gotta accept it. Battlefield 2 is dead to us. It's just. Fuckng. Dead.

Oh, also, this subforum is as dead as Battlefield 2, which, I can assure you, is fucking dead. No </3 Pitzy, but you've gotta accept it. Battlefield 2 is dead to us. It's just. Fuckng. Dead.

Don't be mad only because we're still having fun playing BF2 ^^

BF2 has more people playing now than ever - it's freakin' scary
but seeing as I'm a vet at this stage, more fun for me :D

BF2 is good.

It's just the fact that it runs like shit regardless of your set up.

Bad coding and optimisation me thinks.

Same here. 1280x1024, all settings high and 4 x AA, and constantly running silky smooth.

Back