Big Yellow All Over Screen

rex64

Reaction score
My screen has huge yellow areas all over making it hard to see. This happens sometimes. I happens on my older computer, but it only happens on the maps I make. I would like to fix it. Please see the screen shot.

Attachments

• dm_siege0002.jpg
    dm_siege0002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 262
Wtf kinda map is that?

Looks like you're missing a skybox or parts of it though. Bad screenshot.

I could go for a BSP. Freaky screenshot, though.

Try disabling the 3d skybox via console "R_3dsky 0" Only works with "sv_cheats 1" though, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

LOL i have never seen that before once.....you screwed up royal kid.....try evaluating all the things you added since the last time you compiled and tested and see where that gets you.

Dead-Inside said:
Wtf kinda map is that?

Looks like you're missing a skybox or parts of it though. Bad screenshot.

ya thats kinda what i said but i wasnt sure so i didnt say anything.

works fine

It works 100% perfect most of the time on that computer. And I have 2 other computers it works on. But sometimes it just gets mad. However, on one of my computers I do notice a similar effect coming out of one of my torches when I am climbing down, however it only lasts for about a second and does not happen all the time.

My skybox is fine normally. I have never seen any problems with my skybox. That big white/yellow is the effect I am talking about. The view you are seeing is from a tower looking down twards the ground, however you can not see much due to the effect. Normally, I dont know if you have seen my normal screenshots but the map looks perfectally normal.

Take a look at a screenshot
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83310

Also, I was just looking at it from a work computer. It is super dark!!! Let me know, because on my home computer it is like daylight compared to there screenshots. I would like to make sure I just do not have my monitor at home/gamma turned up way high. I want to have a level that is not just a giant black spot.

not a leak

It is not a leak. I have no point file. Besides that would be like a huge mammoth hole, not a leak :)

not necessarily. i mean....you had that problem with your water and you claimed not to have a leak....when in reality you did something real f***ed up instead. there are some technicalities to leaks that cant be found via the pointfile. try to run across your map and check anything that you think might be causing the problem....something along the lines (perhaps) of what you did to cause the water to not work way back when.

Couldn't be a light with a HUGE radius and an overly high ambience?

Or perhaps one of the lights is leaking through a wall, and it's creating that effect somehow?

Other than that, I don't really know

video card

Maybe the video card is overheating, but why only on my may and why only sometimes? On the light with a huge radius or ambiance, wouldnt it look the same on all the video cards (or similar)?

When this effect occurs and you move your point of view around does it stay on your screen in the same location or does it move out of view? If it moves out of view then it is a problem with the map. If it stays on your monitor in the same location it is more likely that your video card is having problems such as overheating.

Next, based on the fact that the screenshot in your other thread is displaying the dark skybox properly I think it is safe to say that the problem resides in your skybox. I would suggest deleting all the brushes (should only be 6) involved in your skybox and reconstructing them. You also need to make sure that the brushes making up your skybox are defined as structural (the default setting) and not detail. Using detail brushes for your skybox will create a leak.

Bsp

what is a BSP?

Also, the when I rotate the yellow changes but it never goes away fully. I will have to play with it some more next time it happens. If is is a broken light, is there any way to find out which one?

A BSP is a playable map generated for HL2 by the compiler from Hammer's editable VMF. It's so named because the file extension is .bsp. Stands for binary space partition.

smallest definition i can think of:

file > run > ok = get a playable .bsp map file.

beat that.

Yeah, I guess not. I could easily see a question about where to find mapname.bsp. Because taking a moment to look in the most obvious places is too hard, or something. Meh.

Back