Bit of a problem...

DarkSonic

Reaction score
I have a problem. My current Steam account has a 5 year ban on it that is going to end on January 30th (don't ask, long story.) Anyway, I know that if I install and register HL2 on this account that I won't be able to play online until that date... I have a different account, but I know if I register with that one that I won't be able to register it to my other account... Is there any way to have a game registered to one account, then remove that registry and register on another account?

no...all of the registration of games is done server-side at valve. Not on your computer.

Sounds like a question for Valve really. But I am very intrigued into how you got your ban... :p

DarkSonic said:
I have a problem. My current Steam account has a 5 year ban on it that is going to end on January 30th (don't ask, long story.) Anyway, I know that if I install and register HL2 on this account that I won't be able to play online until that date... I have a different account, but I know if I register with that one that I won't be able to register it to my other account... Is there any way to have a game registered to one account, then remove that registry and register on another account?
Ha Ha, you have been a bad boy....

I (<---emphasis) did not get banend for cheating. But really,if I explained the situation none of you would believe, so why even explain it? Anyway, so I can't register, and tell Valve I'd like to take it off one account and move it to another? That sucks...

DarkSonic said:
I (<---emphasis) did not get banend for cheating. But really,if I explained the situation none of you would believe, so why even explain it? Anyway, so I can't register, and tell Valve I'd like to take it off one account and move it to another? That sucks...

Let me guess? Your brother/sister/friend/dog downloaded the hack, and you didnt know it was on your computer....right? heard this one a million times

I am so curious why you got banned. Try us just for stories sake if not for anything else.

Um, I don't see how he could get a 5 year ban that ends on JAn 30th. Hell, Steam hasn't even been out for more than 2 years....

5 year ban? That's like a life sentence on Steam....

*pulls out some logs, lights a fire*

Now that we have a fire, tell us your story DarkSonic... the time and atmosphere are now correct. :)

that dude's right, steam wasn't even out 5 years ago so how could you have been banned on it?

lmao Panda you really are drunk :LOL:

He's recieved a 5-year ban! He hasn't had one for 5 years!

if he has a 5 year ban that ends next january, that means he has had the ban for 4 years already..............

Sorry, I didn't think that was January 30th of next year (although he didn't say) :p

It is sorta dodgy.

I mean what ive valve screw up or some crap and your steam account dies?

Its happened to me twice with 2 Hl1 games (real version on both accounts bought by me twice) and i swear i wasnt even playing MP at all with either....

still bought the silver package through steam a hour ago though.... :rolleyes:

Dougy said:
It is sorta dodgy.

I mean what ive valve screw up or some crap and your steam account dies?

Its happened to me twice with 2 Hl1 games (real version on both accounts bought by me twice) and i swear i wasnt even playing MP at all with either....

still bought the silver package through steam a hour ago though.... :rolleyes:

these stories keep coming
and valve doesnt seem to care about it

You´re probably a cheater or someone who tried some credit card haxxor thing.. I dont think you deserve any help if you´ve done that..

Now, and you guys wonder why I didn't post why I'm banned? Look at this shite - "You cheat, you don't deserve any help." You don't even know the situation, yet you flame me and curse at me. Anyway, the ban ends next year, January 30th. I hoped that you guys would understand that, seeing as how it's PAST January 30th of this year, meaning I wouldn't of needed to make this thread. Anyway, that means I got it January 30th, 2000. Look here, please:

Question
How long does a VAC ban last?
Answer

Currently VAC issues bans for 1 year.

If you were banned before December, 2003 then you received a ban for 5 Years.

You can check for when your ban will be over by connecting to a VAC Secure Server. A message will be displayed in your console that tells you the date when your ban is finished.

Repeat offenders will be banned permanently from playing on VAC Secure Servers.

The specific cheat that you were banned for is never disclosed.

NOTE: Please do not ask what you were banned for.
If you do, your question will not be answered.

Happy people?

Here is what it says in my console when I try to connect to a secure server
Because of past cheating violations, you have
been banned from playing on all secure servers
until 2005-01-30 09:46:1

To answer your original question, no, I dont think it's possible to register your copy to one account, then move it to another. If you try, I imagine it'll tell you, "That copy is already registered".

By the sounds of it I'd say dont let anyone else touch your computer, or perhaps find a better password for your steam account. The fact that *you* didnt cheat but someone on your account did doesn't float with Valve. Don't let people cheat on your account, and you should be okay. If someone hacked it, I'd say make a plea to Valve.

No, there was no hacking. I don't really want to get into it, I just got really pissed off when people flamed me for something I didn't do, but they seem to think so. Thank you for being one of the more intelligent people here...Someone already posted a link saying CD-Keys can't be transferred from one account to another, which sucks...Guess I'll just rebuy half life...it's what, only 20 bucks now?

Well, if you're unprepared to divulge details, I'm afraid you're going to have to take the presumptions and wild accusations as they come.

Feel glad, though- at least you have a ban, something palpatable. I just have such a horribly pendulous relationship with Steam that half the time it seems I can't download or play anything.

I've already sent Valve an email begging to get off of the list, but never got a reply...It's really sad, I used to like them until they started Steam...

Yea, that happened to me.. After 3 months of not playing, I come back to find myself banned by vac, although I still see tons of hackers and such on steam, and they never go away.

P.S And you people.. my goodness, I can not imagine, you are going to get away with your ignorance! I cant not believe that!

I'm sorry to say that the vast majority of VAC "victims" are in fact cheaters. Accidental/unjust bannings are possible but far rarer than you'd think.

If someone was to explain that they'd gone to jail for apparently abusing children, nine out of ten people would condemn them there and then. It's a delicate subject, but Steam has the added benefit that you can appeal a fair bit more easily.

Actually if you buy HL2 Silver pack on your new account, you automatically get HL and a bunch of mods with it... If you want to use that other non-banned account at least. Will you be able to switch it over to your banned account though? More than likely not.

DarkSonic said:
...Guess I'll just rebuy half life...it's what, only 20 bucks now?

Less, you can find one for about 10 euro as a sierra classic and if you really want to get cheap find a copy of gunman chronicles since the serial code works on steam as well giving you half life, opposing force etc.

By the way there was only one person who accused you, the rest didn't.

Bah, there was more than one, I'm just too lazy to go through the thread...

correct me if i am wrong...but werent all vac bans reversed when steam came into effect? Vac isnt used by any servers any more right? so there arent any vac secure servers thus no more vac bans?...right?....if that makes sense

Quad said:
Let me guess? Your brother/sister/friend/dog downloaded the hack, and you didnt know it was on your computer....right? heard this one a million times

Let me guess? You signed up last month, just to start flaming everyone who you think is ghey. I think you should stop trolling you smart ass!! :rolleyes:

Just register it to a new account. Sucks to be you if you have bought other Valve games and registered though :p Actually no it doesn't suck to be you. You get all of Valve's games for free when you register/buy HL2 from Steam. Bet it's similar for retail?

Back