Black Girl identified only as "Black Girl" in yearbook

if the story is true and they meant it only as a placeholder and it was never supposed to be published due to the fact that she was the only black person in the year, i dont really see this as being that bad. certainly not racist.

if it was done on purpose as some kind of jibe then that is obviously horrible.

Cons Himself said:
if the story is true and they meant it only as a placeholder and it was never supposed to be published due to the fact that she was the only black person in the year, i dont really see this as being that bad. certainly not racist.

if it was done on purpose as some kind of jibe then that is obviously horrible.
That's not the point; if it WAS a placeholder then that's still a stupid one to use, and a stupid oversight to let it be printed if it was unintentional (which I presume it was).

sounds like a mean and stupid joke of some senoir who edited the yearbook

why would it be a stupid one to use if you dont know the person's name. she was black right? and black is the accepted term these days is it not? if it was never meant to be printed, but was, it was indeed a stupid oversight on someone's part. nothing more.

Cons Himself said:
why would it be a stupid one to use if you dont know the person's name. she was black right? and black is the accepted term these days is it not? if it was never meant to be printed, but was, it was indeed a stupid oversight on someone's part. nothing more.
oh, come on, if some one printed "white guy" (or whoever you are) under your picture in a yearbook, you would be pissed too

and i do think it was intentional joke by one of the students who worked on that yearbook

It's Texas. It was more likely intentional than not.

not really. i would be 1 of many white people. if it was simply a way of distinguishing her as she was the only black person in the class then yeah sure that is simply a placeholder. if it was meant as a jibe or slur then that is obviously unacceptable.

fair enough Ennui. you are probably right. even me from the uk, i know how much they hate blacks (in general) in the south of america. slavery and all that.

Cons Himself said:
fair enough Ennui. you are probably right. even me from the uk, i know how much they hate blacks (in general) in the south of america. slavery and all that.
You have a bad image of America if you honestly believe that. The are racists everywhere, be it the UK, New York or Texas. The south in the US does have a lot of racists but there are a lot of good people here too.

I can not see how this was a mistake. Every student in there had a name under their photo; the only mistake just happened to be the only black girl? Prank? Maybe. However, that is no excuse for a year book to go out like that.

well, the general view of the southern states here is the confederacy, slavery etc, the KKK. you have a lot of history over there - and fairly or unfairly history is hard to shake off, even if your generation had nothing to do with it.

just look at young germans today - theyre still having to apologise for the holocaust.

Cons Himself said:
not really. i would be 1 of many white people. if it was simply a way of distinguishing her as she was the only black person in the class then yeah sure that is simply a placeholder. if it was meant as a jibe or slur then that is obviously unacceptable.
i don't think it's acceptable to call anybody by anything else but their name, don't you think it's mean (not racist) to yell out "Hey, black girl" or "hey, mexican", it's like she doesn't have a name because she is black, if i was her i'd sue

Yellow car identified only as "Yellow car" in car showroom.

My oppinion.

Cons Himself said:
well, the general view of the southern states here is the confederacy, slavery etc, the KKK. you have a lot of history over there - and fairly or unfairly history is hard to shake off, even if your generation had nothing to do with it.

just look at young germans today - theyre still having to apologise for the holocaust.
i've noticed that a lot of americans are either "secret racists" or "black wannabe"(trying to talk like blacks when they speak to them and shit like that), it's hard to find a person who is right in the middle, meaning that they don't care about blacks and dont change their act around them,(i hope you know what i mean)

I hope people do realize that one person can cause a situation like this, it doesnt necessarily mean the entire school was in on the prank. Suddenly, one person's actions speak for all of Texas according to some people.

She said the district is having the four pages affected by the mistake reprinted as soon as possible.

seinfeldrules said:
I hope people do realize that one person can cause a situation like this, it doesnt necessarily mean the entire school was in on the prank. Suddenly, one person's actions speak for all of Texas according to some people.
no one ever put it like that, at least i don't look at it that way, it's some asshole's actions that's it, doens't have to do much with the state itself

no one ever put it like that,

Why doesn't Texas finally just seceed from the Union, first you give us Bush now this:

People are doing what they can to fix the situation. The response seemed quite appropriate to me condsidering how much it will probably cost to replace all those pages.

sorry, i forgot about the first post, but it's such a minor thing, and people liek the starter of this thread, blew some jerks joke into something it's not and brougt it to a political forum

if they really didnt know her name and it was just a placeholder, i really dont have a problem with this.

Farrowlesparrow said:
I thought it was quite funny...
I thought it was funny too, but don't tell anyone or I will have to go into exile...

In my yearbook somebody added "Loves to suck cock" in white ink under somebody's name as a little joke. In the previews it was invisible because it was white on white. Little did they know it ended up becoming visible in the final product. To replace all the yearbooks it would be 45,000$.

seinfeldrules said:
In my yearbook somebody added "Loves to suck cock" in white ink under somebody's name as a little joke. In the previews it was invisible because it was white on white. Little did they know it ended up becoming visible in the final product. To replace all the yearbooks it would be 45,000$.
Hahaha that is awesome.

seinfeldrules said:

$45 000?

In the yearbooks in my school, it would have cost £100 probably. Cheap trash that they were, I didn't even buy one.

They only put 1/3 people's personal quote in, and so mine didn't show up.

But I sure showed them.

My friend's girlfriend is the person in charge of it so I can vouch for that number. They're 50$ a pop with full color and all that shazam.

I laughed when I read it...

What is so bad about saying a person is *gasp* black? When did that become politically incorrect? I hear sayings like "cracker ass white boy" being thrown about all the damn time. Every application I’ve ever filled out for a job, school, or whatever has had a "White" checkbox underneath the race section sitting right next to African-American, Native-American, Mexican-American, and so on. I don’t hear anyone shouting about that. It was a mistake on the part of the editors. I don’t see how it can be taken in any other way.

qckbeam said:
I laughed when I read it...

What is so bad about saying a person is *gasp* black? When did that become politically incorrect? I hear sayings like "cracker ass white boy" being thrown about all the damn time. Every application I’ve ever filled out for a job, school, or whatever has had a "White" checkbox underneath the race section sitting right next to African-American, Native-American, Mexican-American, and so on. I don’t hear anyone shouting about that. It was a mistake on the part of the editors. I don’t see how it can be taken in any other way.
Shut yo face, cracka ass white boy.

MjM said:
Even as a place holder thats pretty bad
Better than ******, slut, whore, negro, afro-american, bitch, or ape. If they wanted to offend her there were many other words they could have used.

exactly. and calling someone who is black, black, is not racist. lets at least set out that groundrule for the sake of my own sanity.

I guess I'm a racist because I laughed pretty hard when I saw the thread title. You learn something new about yourself everyday kids!

On a side note, if I where to be called "White Boy" in my yearbook I'd show it to everyone at school with pride.

<_<
>_>

Black people!

/me runs.

Cons Himself said:

what a dumb thing to say. you don't just put "black girl" as a placeholder. Its like putting "jew" or "******" or "gayboy" ffs.

The Dark Elf said:
what a dumb thing to say. you don't just put "black girl" as a placeholder. Its like putting "jew" or "******" or "gayboy" ffs.

But she's black. It's like saying "Blonde hair". If wasn't used in a racist context it's not racist.

Back