Black Mesa: Source Update

A

Azlan

If you were like me, you were happy that Valve gave you Half-Life: Source, but still disappointed that the entire game wasn't rebuilt using the Source engine. The team at Black Mesa feels the same way and have decided to do something about it. Black Mesa: Source is a completely faithful redone Half-Life 1, using all of the technology that made Half-Life 2 so revolutionary. They have released some WIP's of a few levels today, and I'm excited to release these great looking shots![br]
tn_1109704953_power_up_1.jpg
[br]​
tn_1109704993_wevegothostiles1.jpg
[br]​
tn_1109705072_human_grunt_model.jpg

[br]To support their website, click here.

looking very promising, that hgrunt model is absolutely awesome.

website kicks major ass too... hope that they use the same pic for the steam background.

Looks great! The Grunt's kneepads look a little low, but that might just be me :)

Am I the only one who thinks that those are actually quite meh
Needs alot of work methinks

Looks awsome! But one question? Is this a free mod? I mean if you buy retail HL it still costs money, but will this be free of charge?

ypu can tell they're doing an amazing job when you can actually recognize where in the game each of the shots are!

(btw - yea its gonna free! wewt!)

Awsome! I can't wait for this mod now! Their website is awsome also.

Great news! That's a poo load of work they're gonna have to do, but well worth it! Keep it up lads you have my support :)

The levels will look a lot better in later stages, since we're still waiting for props, decals, new textures... etc, but I'm glad you like the pictures.

john3571000 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that those are actually quite meh
Needs alot of work methinks
I think it looks okay but noting special. I'm a little disappointed that they've gone with those HL2 style textures i.e. everything covered in rust, Paint peeling of the walls .......... Everything in decay basically. I was kind of hoping that Black Mesa would be portrayed as a more modern looking facility that was in less disarray in terms of decor! As with HL2 & most of the other mods we've seen the place just looks like it's falling apart! I'm being nit picky but I am getting a little bored with those decaying textures. Looked really good in HL2 but I fear other mods will take that onboard & go texture overkill!!

Those map shots look rather weak to be honest. The brushwork looks overly simple even for HL1 standards if you forget the curved surfaces. Lighting is rather flat and undefined.

The models look nice as they usually do.The level design lacks character and depth.

dogboy73 said:
I was kind of hoping that Black Mesa would be portrayed as a more modern looking facility that was in less disarray in terms of decor!

^^This guy has a point. It doesn't make sense to portray black mesa as a decaying science facility. You even encounter cleaning buckets/wet floor signals/mops etc...

Still, I like the shots and I hope the road to completion will be a pleasant and easy one. And also a fast one.

Greets

We're using HL2 textures while we wait for the updated HL ones to be created... :\

Grunt model looks really badass. Has newscript been fixed or have you been able to post more than 3 shots for a while now??

YAY ANOTHER M4A1!!11
Never seen that weapon before D:

Damn people need originality.
LR300 or something would be cool, or just an remake of the real weapon (something like an MP5 with RIS).

And what Stratesiz said.

arms are too short and kneepads are right below the knee imo

Question for the blackmesa team
The game could look like a god made but i want to know about the ai
Will you be using the old routines, hl2 combine ai, an entirely new set of ai pathways and instructions or a premade commercially available code?

As Mendasp as said, we are using the Half-Life 2 textures simply as placeholders until we complete our own sets for the seen locations. Power Up is also one of the more abandonded and less modern parts of the facility, so it would be imagined that such areas would seem rusty and older. Thanks for everyone's comments, good and bad, we appreciate them all.

EDIT: In response to the AI, what would you say if we a special position (already filled) known as "Aritifical Intelligence Programmer"?

Another Edit: The m4 was part of the high-definition package and after much discussion, we have decided to include both weapons AS AN INSTALLATION OPTION. This will allow those who enjoy the mp5 to use it, and those who enjoy the m4 to use it as well. The weapons will not appear together ingame.

OMG this is awesome..!!!!!!! Can't wait !!! :D:D:D:D WOOOOW!

Can we see some shots of xen if you have started working on it yet? I want to see how the alien planet looks in source

Great to see some interest :) But as my teammates said, they are still early WIP's, we just wanted to get some shots out rather than wait months for our decals, textures and models to all be finished off.

We really need those last few positions filled.

Keep tuned for more.. ;)

Mendasp said:
The levels will look a lot better in later stages, since we're still waiting for props, decals, new textures... etc, but I'm glad you like the pictures.

Am I the only one who didn't skip past this post?

Edit: Oh, and what was it exactly that made you guys go crazy and act like small children, or whatever it was you said(in the "easter egg" newspost on the site before any media was up)? Things you explain aren't close to how good-looking you hope they'll turn out doesn't really seem like something a team would be all that excited about.

Somebody ought to make new textures for those containers. "Northern Petrol" is everywhere.

I agree. Superclean would be nice, with various levels of decay as time goes on. Plus, did we ever know how long it took Gordon to teleport in the very beginning? Things could have started rapidly decaying......who knows?

I think this mod looks awesome. I can't wait to play it.

Thought of quickly redoing Uplink and releasing that as a sort of demo to tide people over?

Just out of curiosity...have you checked in with valve about this? I could imagine there being some problems, after all they are using hl1:source as a selling point for the silver edition. Would be a shame to see all this work flushed down the drain (as with DukeNukem3d...that one really bothered me).

.syL said:
Just out of curiosity...have you checked in with valve about this? I could imagine there being some problems, after all they are using hl1:source as a selling point for the silver edition. Would be a shame to see all this work flushed down the drain (as with DukeNukem3d...that one really bothered me).

Agreed...

Sharrd said:
Edit: Oh, and what was it exactly that made you guys go crazy and act like small children, or whatever it was you said(in the "easter egg" newspost on the site before any media was up)? Things you explain aren't close to how good-looking you hope they'll turn out doesn't really seem like something a team would be all that excited about.
Kalash likes to exaggerate things a lot, so we're making sure he doesn't get to write news posts again :rolleyes:

So far all comments of worries and comments have been discussed immensly on our forums... we have a million things to do just yet, we just coudn't hold any media out any longer.

We are a very ambitious team - have faith in us! :)

Just go over all the discussions in our forums, we have gone over every little detail you can possibly think of, yes including the looks and feel of the complex... we have a clear goal ahead of us because of literally hundreds of small discussions with other enthusiasts on our forums...

I understand this raises all those questions again, so please read our FAQ at our site, and drop by our forums to read if you are interested. Also ask any question or ginve comment there.

Eeeeeeeeeek! 1.5 years estimated it says in your FAQ! I want it now! :(

Seriously though, nice work. I can see this being one of the best mods for HL2. (it's abit strange calling it a HL2 mod TBH. :D)

In the FAQ is the statement from VALVe about the whole IP issue. Have you heard back from VALVe? It would be a shame for you to have to drop the project now. :(

We have been in contact with Valve and they have expressed no such reason to really shut us down. However, we still need to be careful not to get on their bad side or cause an intellectual property right infringement

Back