Blizzard Bans Single Player Cheaters

Well, I was pondering whether the single player would be offline by default, or if it'll be integrated into b.net like SCII and still let you earn achievements. I can't imagine the advantages of that besides giving players the freedom to avoid multiplayer if they want to, since single and multiplayer are functionally the same...

I'm very very very sure they will have D3 be just like SC2 in the fact that by default, you will log into the game through Bnet, then go to Single Player with an "Offline" option. What I really wonder is if your single player character will be allowed to play in Multiplayer somehow......? Questions that won't be answered for another 5 years when they give us a release date.

What a dickish company move. But you expect that from companies these days.

And I don't want to hear shit about how Blizzard is in their every right to do this and be assholes and blah blah blah... it's a dick move and you know it, quit covering for them.

I mean come on, suing people for making ****ing cheats? Give me a break. Cheats have long been a strong element in single player video gaming, whether through trainers or cheats programmed in by the designers themselves. Changing that rich legacy is bullshit and doing it through such malicious ways is bullshit.

That's so ****ing stupid. In what way did those trainer makers harm Blizzard? All it did was enable people who wanted to use trainers to enjoy the game more. If anything it was a help to Blizzard. And if those trainers worked in online mode, then it's Blizzards own damn fault for not making a better anti cheat system. What the ****ing is taking money from them going to do?

Well, to be honest, the article said those people were selling the trainers.

So I dunno.

How do hacks breech copyright? Infringing on the licence I understand, but not breech of copyright.

How do hacks breech copyright? Infringing on the licence I understand, but not breech of copyright.

When users of the Hacks download, install, and use the Hacks, they copy StarCraft II copyrighted content into their computer's RAM in excess of the scope of their limited license, as set forth in the EULA and ToU, and create derivative works of StarCraft II.

DISCLAIMER This is not my opinion but Blizzard's.

But surely when you play any of the files being used, the engine, units, models, maps etc all have to be loaded on to the RAM anyway?

But surely when you play any of the files being used, the engine, units, models, maps etc all have to be loaded on to the RAM anyway?

You missed this part: "In excess of the scope of their limited license."

This is kind of bullshit on Blizzard's end, but why/how were they selling them? Jesus christ people will go to some stupid measures to get achievements now...

Edit: Oh, um... this doesn't have anything to do with the single player cheaters, heh. This is in response to them banning 5000 players for cheating online (presumably in multiplayer), which happened a week or two before this incident.

Link is in the article: http://kotaku.com/5652731/thousands-of-starcraft-ii-cheaters-busted-by-blizzard

Edit 2: Also not the first time Blizzard has taken people to court for messing with their online games. See: Blizzard vs. gold sellers in WoW. That was a good call on their part, honestly. Not 100% sure about this one, but if these guys really are selling trainers to hack the multiplayer, then again it's hard to feel sympathetic for them.

Only on a bandwagon hate fest will people complain about a company doing what they can to stop hacks. This forum amazes me sometimes.

Sorry can't make out what you're saying pitzy your tongue is too far up blizzard's ass

Please tell me one reason why this is a terrible idea? People who sell multiplayer hacks........they are just trying to make a buck, they are good guys?

Sorry if you feel handcuffed to the bandwagon, but some of us keep some common sense on matters.

*EDIT* I'm under the impression that they SOLD these hacks. If that's the case, then that's good they are getting sued. If they just gave it away, I'm not gonna call Blizzard a bunch of dicks, but that would put me more on the fence about this...

*EDIT* I'm under the impression that they SOLD these hacks. If that's the case, then that's good they are getting sued. If they just gave it away, I'm not gonna call Blizzard a bunch of dicks, but that would put me more on the fence about this...

They sold 'em. This is basically the same as when Blizz was going after gold sellers.

Not sure why it's such a big deal they were selling hacks for a game. It's barely different from trying to sell an Encyclopaedia based on the world in someone's novel.

Were they directly selling the hacks or was it one of those setups where you pay for membership of a site and get access to a whole bunch of different trainers for a range of games?

Not sure why it's such a big deal they were selling hacks for a game. It's barely different from trying to sell an Encyclopaedia based on the world in someone's novel.
I was going to point out how flawed this analogy was, but then I remembered that Blizzard are suing these people for copyright infringement. I'm still not very sympathetic towards those selling the hacks, but it seems like such a slimy, backhanded way to go about it. I mean, "copying the game to their memory in excess of it's limited license?" What the christ does that mean?

OH NO MY COMPUTER IS A PLAGIARIST.
attachment.php

I mean, "copying the game to their memory in excess of it's limited license?" What the christ does that mean?
Well that bit just means that when you buy the game, you're buying a license to play it as it came from Blizzard's servers. By changing your program, you're stepping outside of the license.

I think that since the cheat creators are selling their cheats, they're altering the content of the game as it was provided, and that's how they're committing copyright infringement.

Or some shit.

Back