Blue Screen Crashes

Javert

Tank
Reaction score
I've recently received Blue Screen crashes at start-up time for XP Pro. It's random too.
Though not the usual "blue-screen-of-death" message, it says something about checking new hardware connections (I have none) and then
"dumping physical memory to disk" with a counter going up. I cannot ctrl+alt+delete it. Does anyone know the cause of the problem or experienced it? I did go into setup (F2) once and it did start afterwards, but I didn't change anything, so doubt it's that.
My system is Intel P4 from Dell. I do have a USB wireless internet, but doubt that's the problem either.
Help?

I've seen this happen on systems that needed either a full format and reinstallation of the OS, or had a defective hard drive.

check all your connections in your computer, (ram, ide cables, everything). then boot again, if it still happens boot into safe mode, if it DOESNT happen in safe mode, go to run, type msconfig, then click startup and get rid of everything you dont recognize or anything not in a windows folder. then go to services, click hide all microsoft crap, then unclick what u dont need, then reboot.

if you do all that, still happens, reboot into safe mode again, run the chkdsk and let it do its thing, then reboot. If it STILL doesnt work, follow someone elses on heres advice or just send that peice of crap back.

haha, man ive had this problem jsut toooo many times.

Thanks for the tips, did you ever manage to fix it?
Just by sheer irony, it did it again when I submitted, so this is my second time typing this. :flame:
I turned off most unneeded services, I'm gonna try the chkdsk thing soon.
It also happens when I shut down. And I've re-installed XP before, though it was a couple of months ago.

The memory dump is normal, but I'd suggest turning it off (check MS's knowledge base), because its a waste of time unless you're an MS programmer. :D

Unplug your wireless Internet. I had no end of problems oweing to this, and all of which resulted in a problem like the one your describe.

After unplugging, restart the computer and then plug it in. Uninstall it properly via device manager then start from scratch: unplug it then put it back. Try to get some signed drivers for the hardware - wifi devices are one of the few classes that actually seem to benefit from them.

Javert said:
actually, ive had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. i needed to format unfortunately D:. oh well, good luck mate, but i cant really reccomend anything apart from the fact that i had to format.

I found an MS knowledge base for the problem.
Windows Stop Messages

At least that's what they're called. My error hex msg. is 0x000000c5, which means faulty drivers. Alas, I'm sure they're my wireless drivers, so I'm gonna update them, run verifier.exe, and see what happens.

*Update*
Verifier.exe screwed it up even more, not even allowing me to log-in after boot. Had to turn it off in Safe Mode. Will see if updated drivers (of hell) will alleviate the problem somewhat. Once again, definitely Netgear wireless internet drivers.
DON'T get Netgear.

When I got infected with Sub-7 that happened to me.. horrible memorys!

Sometimes when I am asleep at night I sorta flashback to that day like I was in the middle of vietnam and my friend bob just got his limb blown off.. AGH THE PAIN, MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP!

Back