Companion Cube
Reaction score
Specs (again):

Intel D845PESV mobo
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Palit 6800GS (128MB/128bit)
1,5GB RAM
FORTRON FSP400-60PFN 400W PSU

You may remember that I had problems with my 6800GS some time ago. In the end I gave it back and ordered a new one.

Stock settings - about 3850 3DMarks05
OCed(1310/510) - about 4150 3DMarks05

Not great, but it's a 128MB/128bit version, so you could expect it to perform worse than a regular version. Still OCed score lower than my mate's 4500 on stock, but let's blame the CPU (he's got a 3200+ Barton), it's probably like 2-3fps difference anyway.

However, despite getting over twice as much points in 3DMark05 as I did with a R9600pro, I do not notice that much of an improvement and that is where I think that maybe it's not my GPU to blame.

I've played a few games since I've got my 6800. FEAR is finally smooth and I could even go up with the settings. Hitman: Blood Money was finally smooth with SM 3.0 effects and settings at high. I could not compare my results with someone with a similar setup though (ie. my 4500-score-mate) as he didn't play these games. He had I guess about 10-15 fps more in CS:S though.

Now we get to the games that indicates it might be some bottleneck in my system causing worse performance - Battlefield 2 and 2142 (same engine).

Quick comparison - mate gets about 15fps more on high settings (geometry, textures medium) than I get on all medium.

Then again, there's only a slight difference between all medium and all high for me. Setting lightning and dynamic shadows/lightning to low, what is supposed to give a boost, does pretty much nothing. Atm I'm playing BF2 at high (terrain, textures medium) with mediocre performance, cause at least it looks better and lowering the settings gives me nothing in exchange. Still playing mostly at about 25-30 fps and going down to 20fps and less in heavy combat REGARDLESS of medium/high settings (low gives some improvement but cmon I'm not running a 9200 with 512MB RAM to play like that). As I said, I had similar performance on all medium with a 9600 which scored half of what I score now in 3DMark05 (1800 or so).

I noticed that the performance depends greately on the number of players. They do not need to even be on the screen. With 8 players Karkand I had 40-50fps. With 32 ppl on, in the same place with no one around (no models to render) it was more like 25ish. Why do I drop FPS when there's no additional strain on the GPU here? Is it the CPU that's pulling me back here? 64 player maps are unplayable, it's just too choppy and again, you do not need many players on the screen to get jerkiness on a 64 player server.

My second bet would be my PSU - it's a 400W Fortron, but it has only got 15A on the +12V rail - I heard 6800's may need more than that. On the other hand, if it was getting not enough power, my 3DMark score would show that, right? And it would not be twice as much as on the previous GPU.

Last fact, quite shocking tbh - my other mate has got a 2,4Ghz Pentium, 1GB RAM and 9800SE with unlocked pipelines. He scores about 5500 points in 3DMark03, I score about 10200. We joined some BF2142 server. He had his settings at 800x600, medium (lightning and dynamic stuff low), I had them at 1024x768, all medium. I asked him what his FPS was, he said "about 40". Mine were more like 25-30. As predicted, lowering my settings to the level of my mate's still did not give me "about 40" fps. I score TWICE as much in 3DMark03 and I can't even get to the performace level of his PC? Something is so wrong here.

I'll end with a 3rd guess - mobo? After all everything is connected to and it's the base of a system.

Please discuss, suggest, help. I want the performance I paid for ;|

The answer here is simple.

The BF2 engine is utter shit.

I got my new computer and all it did was give me about 10 more fps.

not a very good arguement but bf2 ran great for me even on a 5700le it ran fine.

Does sound like your cpu could be creating a bit of a bottleneck. A stock 6800GT tends to score around the 5000 mark on 3dmark 05. I ran one in my old P4 system, and whilst oc'ing and benchmarking i found that the cpu causing a bottleneck until 3.3-3.4 at which point the score no longer increased when i increased the clock speed as far as 3.7. So it is perfectly conceivable that your processor could be causing a bottleneck.

does his 9800 have 256mb of ram?

128. Not that it would matter in 800x600 anyway.

Still, my mate gets more fps out of his rig with supposedly half the performance of mine.

Does sound like your cpu could be creating a bit of a bottleneck. A stock 6800GT tends to score around the 5000 mark on 3dmark 05. I ran one in my old P4 system, and whilst oc'ing and benchmarking i found that the cpu causing a bottleneck until 3.3-3.4 at which point the score no longer increased when i increased the clock speed as far as 3.7. So it is perfectly conceivable that your processor could be causing a bottleneck.

3.3-3.4k score you mean (3300-3400)? What Pentium was that? It's possible that it's the bottleneck (considering slowdowns with the increased number of players), but 2,8Ghz still doesn't sound that bad (at least that's what I thought). Can going up to a 3200+ Barton (my mate's CPU) cause that much of a difference? And what's up with my friend getting good fps on a 2,4Ghz Pentium? :/

No, i mean the clock speed of the P4, 3300-3400 Mhz. I know 2.8Ghz doesn't sound too bad, but the pentium4 architecture was never the best for gaming, and honestly i would expect a bottleneck at 2.8. As for the barton core, i'm not sure but i think the barton core cpu's were better as far as gaming is concerned. And the 2.4Ghz P4, hmm, lol. Well, he is running a 9800, not a 6800, so the results aren't really comparable. Is it possible for you to overclock your cpu 200-300 mhz and benchmark the card to see the difference ? That's the only way you will know wether the cpu is in fact causing a bottleneck.

No, i mean the clock speed of the P4, 3300-3400 Mhz. I know 2.8Ghz doesn't sound too bad, but the pentium4 architecture was never the best for gaming, and honestly i would expect a bottleneck at 2.8. As for the barton core, i'm not sure but i think the barton core cpu's were better as far as gaming is concerned. And the 2.4Ghz P4, hmm, lol. Well, he is running a 9800, not a 6800, so the results aren't really comparable. Is it possible for you to overclock your cpu 200-300 mhz and benchmark the card to see the difference ? That's the only way you will know wether the cpu is in fact causing a bottleneck.

Unfortunately, no. You can't overclock AT ALL on older Intel boards.

BTW, I tried all high in 2142, except for textures (I got only 1,5GB RAM) and terrain. In the uncap, quite far from the action I got 35 fps or so. In action the fps was similar to thse on medium settings but it did feel a bit more choppy. Still, you'd expect a game running high settings like that, to run good in medium settings and like a dream in med-low lightning and dynamic stuff.

Unfortunately, no. You can't overclock AT ALL on older Intel boards.

BTW, I tried all high in 2142, except for textures (I got only 1,5GB RAM) and terrain. In the uncap, quite far from the action I got 35 fps or so. In action the fps was similar to thse on medium settings but it did feel a bit more choppy. Still, you'd expect a game running high settings like that, to run good in medium settings and like a dream in med-low lightning and dynamic stuff.

you should be able to play all high in bf2 with 1.5gig because im able to and my performance is great.

you should be able to play all high in bf2 with 1.5gig because im able to and my performance is great.

Yeah, might as well set it to high, would probably get a little stutter on start. Doesn't matter right now, though, cause low fps is not fun, even if I don't get the stutter (what I mean is the low fps makes the game choppy, but thanks to the RAM I don't get any noticeable additional pauses).

I'd like to play comfortably (with fps not going below 30) at least on medium in both BF2 and (more demanding) BF2142. I thought I should be able to with my hardware, turns out there might be this bottleneck (though the recommended for this game is 2.4Ghz, so my 2.8Ghz should not be a problem on medium settings ><).

Bleh, that does suck man, and i know it says that it should be fine, but i can't see what else it would realistically be. The psu should be powerful enough for a 6800GT, plus fortron are a decent quality brand, so i'd be surprised if it was that. I know you probably don't want to have to spend money to sort this out, but you could maybe try and find a decent socket 478 board on e-bay or something equivalent ? Would probably only set you back 20-30 pounds and then you should be able to squeeze 3.2-3.3 out of that processor. I'm afraid that's the only advice i can give, as i'm honestly not sure what else it could be.

Bleh, that does suck man, and i know it says that it should be fine, but i can't see what else it would realistically be. The psu should be powerful enough for a 6800GT, plus fortron are a decent quality brand, so i'd be surprised if it was that. I know you probably don't want to have to spend money to sort this out, but you could maybe try and find a decent socket 478 board on e-bay or something equivalent ? Would probably only set you back 20-30 pounds and then you should be able to squeeze 3.2-3.3 out of that processor. I'm afraid that's the only advice i can give, as i'm honestly not sure what else it could be.

I think that if I don't find a magical way to fix this, I will save up for a socket 939 (if I'm not mistaken) mobo + a 64bit AMD processor (3400+ maybe). I'll have to look for a mobo with both AGP and PCI-E slot, cause I don't want to change that 6800GS for now. My clanmate has one and has no problems with it, so I guess it would be a good choice. Still, I don't have a job, so I'll have to wait a bit with that purchase or find a way to both successfully study and work oO. Meh ;/

:(

Suckage. The following board is a socket 939 board with both agp and pci-express and has shown decent performance in many reviews: Asrock 939Dual-SATA2. And btw, the 3400+ was a socket 754 amd64 processor (i think), and is now the name of both a socket 939 and socket AM2 sempron. You'd want something like the 3500+. Hope you find a way to get all of this sorted out man.

OK, thanks for the suggestions :thumbs:

If anyone has any more ideas, I'd appreciate it, feel free to post :p

Back