Votes: 67 62.6%
  • Not, yet.

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • No, I am going to go retail.

Votes: 25 23.4%

• Total voters

LeXo5

Reaction score
I am just curious as to see how many people here actually bought it online, on steam, or not.

yup, purchased the Gold package.
i will also be getting the CE since i need a second copy for my other PC.. and well.. i'd like it to be in DVD format.. so...yeah, that kinda narrows down my options :)

Well to give you some idea, there're 3000 people playing right now.

There was a lot more last night... They've made a lot of money from this...

Chris_D said:
Well to give you some idea, there're 3000 people playing right now.

There was a lot more last night... They've made a lot of money from this...

hmm ...... 3000*49.99 = $147,000 ..... assuming valve gets 75% of that, that is $110,250 in only two days :p ...... not too shabby :cool:

of course a lot more people will/have bought it, but those are just fun guesses

I personally am getting it retail. I don't know what it is, but that ride home with having the actual box in my hands crying as a drive down the highway is a great feeling ;)

7hoR said:
I personally am getting it retail. I don't know what it is, but that ride home with having the actual box in my hands crying as a drive down the highway is a great feeling ;)

yea i am going retail too ..... just can't beat that "its in my hands" feeling ..... :cheers:

LeXo5 said:
hmm ...... 3000*49.99 = $147,000 ..... assuming valve gets 75% of that, that is $110,250 in only two days :p ...... not too shabby :cool:

As far as I'm aware, Vivendi gets nothing for Steam sales.

I belive your right Chris. Also, I mean if Half-Life 2 wasn't the most anticipated PC game EVER then maybe I would download it through a service instead of getting it retail. It is so tempting to be able to play CS:S but I did play the beta so I can't complain too much.

but you have to keep in mind, that many of those playing now are holders of ATI-coupons, so i doesn't nessesary(sp?) mean, that they paid for HL²

LeXo5 said:

Valve gets all the money for Steam sales, but if they greatly eclipse the retail sales, some of the money gets funneled to Vivendi.

Eat Fresh said:
Valve gets all the money for Steam sales, but if they greatly eclipse the retail sales, some of the money gets funneled to Vivendi.

Where did you here that then? Sounds a likely scenario though...

Oh, I bought Silver btw, and am soo impressed.
CS: Source is class, and the Source engine runs like a dream!
timerefresh gives average of 160 fps on a 128Mb 9800 Pro, 3.5Ghz P4, Gb of Ram.
Was planning to go Athlon 64, PCI Express route soon but think I'll hold out and see what the next generation of cards throws into the mix...

Nice one Valve, I owe you a pint :cheers:

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Dear Daniel Schaffer (Steam account name: ************),

Thank you for your recent purchase. Half-Life 2 Silver is now available in your Steam "Games" window. To play, just double-click on the name of a game in this list.

Your credit card has been charged as detailed below. This email serves as your receipt.

DreamThrall said:
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Dear Daniel Schaffer (Steam account name: ************),

Thank you for your recent purchase. Half-Life 2 Silver is now available in your Steam "Games" window. To play, just double-click on the name of a game in this list.

Your credit card has been charged as detailed below. This email serves as your receipt.

You are willing to share your name but not your Steam account? That's...strange.

::shrug:: i dunno... You could probably figure out my name from my email address... which is available on my website if it isn't from here. ...Don't want people tryin to h@x0r my steam account, right?

DreamThrall said:
::shrug:: i dunno... You could probably figure out my name from my email address... which is available on my website if it isn't from here. ...Don't want people tryin to h@x0r my steam account, right?

Don't worry, here just nice folks! Or well...

You people caved...I thought more would wait for retail.

I'm not giving valve any extra money since they haven't even finished one of the games they have released.

uh they finished it alright...
I'm not giving the publisher any money who won't release a finished game..

I didn't buy it over steam.

49.99 U.S. for CS:S, nah uh. Once its out i'm gettin mine from a store.

sure did mate, i bought gold. Cost me a rather large sum of $135 (by the time tax and postage got me).
Nevermind though, only live once, and it is half life 2 after all :D.

Adam.

Call me sad but im gonna buy the retail collectors edition too :D.
Im working overtime to pay for it. :bounce:

Yea I bought silver though the transaction didn't go through at first cause it was backed up. I went and played some CSS and came back and it told me it went through.

Not yet, but I'm planning to.

I will buy the Raising the bar book to fill up the empty spot on my shelf (every game I bought is there, even those who I don't really like, and I'm not gonna have something of my most anticipated game? Not gonna happen!)

And maybe I'll buy retail if the boxes are nice (if it's just a DVD case I won't). Although I don't grant VUG a cent of my money. A well, a necessary evil.

Not yet. Tonight if I can force my dad to understand using credit cards over the Internet isn't as dangerous as he likes to think...

I've got the ATI voucher, I was going to upgrade to gold... but I found out the p&h is $30US! thats bloody unreasonably expensive.....

so i'll just be getting the silver version... I hope that in the future I don't miss out on any games :(

Alec_85 said:
Not yet. Tonight if I can force my dad to understand using credit cards over the Internet isn't as dangerous as he likes to think...

Join the club.

Since I'm a consumerist idiot, I'll likely buy the Standard (or even CE) and then download the Gold package anyway once I get broadband. To quote a friend, the HL2 hat is worth $90 alone! :LOL:

HAT! HAT! HAT!

Is it me, or is the CE awful compared to the Steam packages? :hmph:

I bought the silver. Cost me $59 + $13 in taxes (;()... Oh well, it was still a whole euro cheaper than buying the regular retail package. Plus I like the fact that my money goes to Valve instead of Vivendi "I-like-to-sit-on-finished-games" Universal.

Back