bowling for columbine

Controlling guns is not the solution.

Criminals, thugs, gangsters, etc will not turn in their guns. You know what that does? It leaves law abiding citizens defenseless.

"Justice Department studies show that armed citizens are much less likely to suffer losses or personal injury from thieves" -- Washington Post 1/7/92

You know what type of people are afraid of an their citizens having guns?

"Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." -- Heinrich Himmler

"This year will go down in history! For the first time a nation has a full gun owners registry!" -- Adolph Hitler

There's a little saying I like-

First they stole the forth amendment.
I said nothing because I don't deal drugs.
Then they took the sixth amendment.
I was silent because I know I'm not guilty.
When they came for the second amendment,
I kept quiet because I don't own a gun.
Now they've come for the first amendment,
and I can't say anything at all.

RakuraiTenjin said:
Criminals, thugs, gangsters, etc will not turn in their guns. You know what that does? It leaves law abiding citizens defenseless.

some facts

The rate of firearm death of under 14-years-old is nearly 12 times higher in the U.S. than in 25 other industrialized countries combined

Firearms are the second-leading cause of death (after motor vehicle accidents) for young people 19 and under in the U.S

In a study of inner-city 7-year-olds and their exposure to violence, 75% of them reported hearing gun shots

In 2000, 1,776 children and teenagers were murdered with guns, 1,007 committed suicide with guns, and 193 died in unintentional shootings. A total of 3,042 young people were killed by firearms in the U.S., one every three hours.

Considering that fact site has only negative statistics (hell, it's from the Brady Campaign itself, anti gun lobbyists), and lists only 10, I suggest you check THIS fact site

http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm

* Washington D.C. enacted a virtual ban on handguns in 1976. Between 1976 and 1991, Washington D.C.'s homicide rate rose 200%, while the U.S. rate rose 12%. (1)

* In 1996, Dr. John R. Lott of the University of Chicago Law School published the results of a crime study conducted using FBI data for all 3,045 U.S. counties from 1977 to 1992. (15)

* The study sought to answer the question, "What happens to crime when states adopt right-to-carry laws?" (15)

* Between 1977 and 1992, 10 states adopted right-to-carry laws. Dr. Lott's study found that the implementation of these laws created:
-- no change in suicide rates,
-- a .5% rise in accidental firearm deaths,
-- a 5% decline in rapes,
-- a 7% decline in aggravated assaults,
-- and an 8% decline in murder

for the 10 states that adopted these laws between 1977 and 1992. (7)
* Using 1995 numbers, this amounts to:

-- 1 more accidental gun death,
-- 316 less murders,
-- 939 less rapes,
-- and 14,702 less aggravated assaults

in these 10 states annually. (16)

Bowling for Columbine is pretty old...

Love that site Rakurai, been using it as a reference for a while. I do however believe that they list some data that is contrary to those results too. Thats probably why we haven't been able to stop gun violence yet: no one is definite over what is causing it. I'll wager that its something deeper than simple availability though. When we talk about inner city violence isn't it just as likely that other weapons (knives etc) would have been employed if they didn't have guns? So what is causing them to kill others?

As for Moore's legal liability: he does most of his magic through misdirection and omission, not outright lying. Heston actually said all that stuff. The problem lies not in the content, but rather in the context. I've done some of my own research trying to find the most unbiased sources myself, and I've never seen anything that totally abdicates Moore.

For an example, here is a transcript of Hestons Columbine speech:
http://www.freedaily.com/articles/990504n1.html
Heres a comparison of that to what is in the movie:
http://www.hardylaw.net/Bowlingtranscript.html

If you dont like Michael Moore because of his tricky editing, and media influencing tricks, then... you should hate the US in general, because it's full of it....everywhere.

RakuraiTenjin said:
Controlling guns is not the solution.

"Justice Department studies show that armed citizens are much less likely to suffer losses or personal injury from thieves" -- Washington Post 1/7/92

You know what type of people are afraid of an their citizens having guns?

"Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." -- Heinrich Himmler

"This year will go down in history! For the first time a nation has a full gun owners registry!" -- Adolph Hitler

There's a little saying I like-

First they stole the forth amendment.
I said nothing because I don't deal drugs.
Then they took the sixth amendment.
I was silent because I know I'm not guilty.
When they came for the second amendment,
I kept quiet because I don't own a gun.
Now they've come for the first amendment,
and I can't say anything at all.
You are so right, i'm crying

You outlaw guns and the only people with guns are outlaws.

Nuff said.

Back