British police look to Formula 1 for help

Crash

Reaction score
Police in the UK could soon give speeding crooks a bit of a shock by chasing them down in 200mph Formula 1 supercars.
The space-age looking machine, the Caparo T1, is a two-seater 200mph car that is designed by the same engineers who made the McLaren F1 car driven by Lewis Hamilton.
According to the Daily Star, the Metropolitan Police are looking to use it as a rapid response vehicle to react to 999 calls after the car was given the all-clear to be used on UK roads.
A police source said: "The Caparo would ensure officers can get to the scene of a crime faster. It's certainly something we'll be looking at getting."

caparo-t1-cop-car-2.jpg

caparo-t1-cop-car-1.jpg

Story from here
Pictures from here

Formula 1 cars on narrow UK roads? Sounds like a bunch of accidents waiting to happen.

Yes, because you really need race cars to chase down most perps, even those in high end sports cars.................

You don't have to go that extreme. lol

Wow...uhh...yeah...

Bad idea written all over it.

what a waste of money. Maybe they should look into getting GUNS.

This reminds me of the Simpsons where jet fighters attempt to take out that old biplane that Sideshow Bob is on.

We've got a lock on target, target is gone.

This seems like a overreaction to the amount of sheep being stolen.

I'll return them though, don't worry.

So that's what they are pissing away all our tax money on.
Just one problem what happens if the 999 caller lived on a road with Speed humps and those annoying things that narrow the road so only one car can go though i forget there name. I'd like to see that F1 cop car on that.

That's amazing, but I cannot see it being practical.

That's absolutely fantastic. If I was getting chased, I'd just drive into a traffic calmed zone, where that thing wouldn't get over any speed-bumps.

HEY PIGS LOL

It looks like it could break if you hit it lightly.

the cops in the states in their cruisers can drive up curbs, almost always catch the bad guy, and shoot you. Plus they know exactly how to make you spin out. And with the vast technologies and advancement in anti-crime, I really don't think a race car is the ticket.

This idea borders on ridiculous. To the Batmobile!

I don't think a faster car is really going to make much of a difference when there is traffic to be cautious of. I mean we are talking a few seconds here and there. A standard police cruiser here can hit about 180 MPH anyway.

what they should make is an EMP weapon to shut down the ignition. Don't we have those yet? Other ideas are an unmanned drone to track the target, and the ability to shut down roads or lay tack strips.

Reminds me of how the police in Rome bought a Lamborghini to catch the people who were speeding on the motorways in their sports cars.

Italian drivers are ****ing crazy.

It's getting silly how much money police are spending on cars like this and Subaru’s to get a faster response car. Especially, when most of the time the police aren't even allowed to pursue due to 'health and safety'.

A fleet of Subaru's would be a better idea as they are great on road and off road. Funding a police heli would be a better.

The crims will use roads that have speed humps to counter our statistical police force.

Btw arming our dick head police force is not a option, I do not want to live in country that has trigger happy cops.

Guy's this car will NOT be used for pursuits, just for attending emergency's.
We have Subaru's for pursuits even if they can't go off road, apparently it's not safe to go off road in pursuit in a rally car. Actually like Munro said we can't even get into a pursuit due to Health and Safety and the criminals usually get away. The police are not allowed to interfere in anyway except of the use of Stingers, we really suck here compared to you Americans.

It's a publicity stunt, nothing more. We already have vehicles that no-one can outrun - helicopters.

In America, the police turn seized high end sports cars into cop cars. I've seen a Corvette police car that says on the back "this vehicle was seized from a drug dealer"

Wait a minute...

'British Police look to Formula One for help?'

So they're getting their wives to dress as nazis and whip them as some kind of morale boost?

In America, the police turn seized high end sports cars into cop cars. I've seen a Corvette police car that says on the back "this vehicle was seized from a drug dealer"

Yeah, I just saw a Dodge Viper in police paint prowling the streets with "SEIZED VEHICLE" on the license plate. Needless to say, everyone around was obeying the speed limit and were maintaining a distance of at least 20 feet from this vehicle.

So they're getting their wives to dress as nazis and whip them as some kind of morale boost?

I may be the only other person who gets this Kupo...but very nicely said...nicely said indeed...;)

Back