Bro's Map Won't Change

S

Slew

I've been looking everywhere and can't find a solution to this problem, so I signed up here to see if anyone knew what's causing it.
My bro has been working on a map for a few days now, but for some reason, when he compiles it any changes he has made are not visible. It isn't just entities not appearing (we've already encountered and solved that one), nothing he does at all is being reflected in the compiled map.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

What are his compile settings?

is everything set to normal or fast?

did he try compiling a diffrent level, one of the demos, to exclude his compiler as the code.

One thing i do and it has literly saved my sanity, is like every half hour i save AS a diffrent name. Hammer corupted my save file 3 times in the corse of making DM_Subway, thats 3 times i would have lost everything, thankfully i was able to fall back on elier versions, (belive it or not the last time id dies was when i was about to mail for the competition, even hammer its self stope working, was not cool belive me).

it does this when there are errors in the compile. the final copy process doesn't overwrite the old map with the new when the compile fails. so when the game is run with the "-map blahblah" it just runs the old version of the map since its still there. Check your compile for errors :s

(at least this is what I think the problem is)

Other maps compile and run fine.
There's just one error in the compile log that we can see:
Code:
Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported

Thanks for the quick replies.

The case in 99% of the times people experience this on a singl map is that the compile log TELLS them they have a fatal error and, usually BSP (or old CSG/BSP combo) bombs out. If BSP doesn't complete you HAVE NO MAP. It never gets compiled and nothing gets updated. BSP errors are always bad because they mean you are failing to build valid construction--often your world has dipped into non-euclidian space.

All errors and warnings will result in map failures or slower maps, longer compile times, visual errors. Understand the errors and get rid of them and then you will have made a map that CAN compile.

You must remember that this is the first time either of us has used this. We don't know what the error is.
If you could explain exactly what it is we're looking for to fix that error, that would be great.

Sorry about the double post, but we've worked it all out.
It seems that some toxic sludge coming out of a truck used the toxic sludge material.
I'm guessing that the displacement on this was causing the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
Damn, looks like that wasn't the problem. 0_o?
The error is still there even after fixing that...
Is there some simple way of finding what's causing the error?

Check all your displacements, especially the ones that you tied to something. I had this same exact problem last night. I had created a sphere using the dispacement tool. I then tried to tie it to a fun_physbox to use to throw around with the gravgun.

It gave me that error when I tried to compile. Once I got rid of the func_physbox, the error was gone.

Timech

Back