Budget Speakers

Killing2Live

Reaction score
Hey guys I was hoping you can help me on purchasing some budget 5.1 speakers. I've been doing some research and have found some that I may be interested in, but I would like some of your input first. Anyways, three models that I have been looking at are the Logitech Z-640's, Logitech X-530's, and the Altec Lansing 251. I've heard that the Z-640's have been discontinued and the X-530's took over but I am not sure if that is fact or just a rumor. As of right now I'm looking at the X-530's and would like to use these speakers for games, listening to music and movies. I would like decent sound quality and good bass but does not have to be the best.

Here are some links to the speaker information:

Logitech Z-640 : $39.95

Logitech X-530 : $53.00

Altec Lansing 251 : $68.00

These are just some I'm looking at, if you have a suggestion, freely give it. Although I don't want suggestions for like the Logitech Z-5500 which is way out of my pricerange.

Thanks for the input :p

look at this, it reviews a few 5.1 speakers that are under $100, but since the review is a little old all of them are probably under 80.Speaker Review

640's for sure dude. They totally own. I'd say they're worth $100. They're freakin' awesome.

Foxhound888 said:
look at this, it reviews a few 5.1 speakers that are under $100, but since the review is a little old all of them are probably under 80.Speaker Review

Thanks Foxhound888,
I read over that and swayed my decision, and now thinking that the Creative T5900 are a better buy but I can not find them anywhere.
So I was wondering if they got replaced or if there is an equivalent to them.

I like the X620s...about the same cost as the Z640s with 6 speakers instead of 5.

Killing2Live said:
Thanks Foxhound888,
I read over that and swayed my decision, and now thinking that the Creative T5900 are a better buy but I can not find them anywhere.
So I was wondering if they got replaced or if there is an equivalent to them.
Ha, i came to the same conclusion after reading that also. I just looked for those speakers also but i can't find any, and all of the people that had them had websites in a foriegn language, so i would say go with the Creative T5800, being that it is also creative which gets good reviews from thier consumers and because the only t5900's i could find were close to 200 dollers, and unless you really wan't to spend that much on 5.1 speakers i wouldn't suggest them. But if i were getting speakers i would get the t5800.:)

Thanks agian Foxhound, I think I will be settling on those. I was searching around the internet to find a review on them but was unsuccessful. Im sure they will work for me and I figure they are not much different the the T5900's.

I like the X620s...about the same cost as the Z640s with 6 speakers instead of 5.

Same! I got them for about $150AU at the beginning of last year. They are soo cool!

Killing2Live said:
Thanks agian Foxhound, I think I will be settling on those. I was searching around the internet to find a review on them but was unsuccessful. Im sure they will work for me and I figure they are not much different the the T5900's.

well, i just found my reviews on newegg.com, i'll give you the link: T5800

One more question, Do you think the T5800 are better than the X-530's and if so (which I'm assuming) by how much and in what. ie. loudness, bass, clarity, quality etc?

x530 only have 70 watts of power, while the z640s pump out double hat with 140 watt total. I can atest to teh z640s being good as I won a set. Great speakers, havent had a problem at all. Best set Ive ever owned.

The Terminator said:
x530 only have 70 watts of power, while the z640s pump out double hat with 140 watt total. I can atest to teh z640s being good as I won a set. Great speakers, havent had a problem at all. Best set Ive ever owned.
wouldn't you need a pretty massive power supply to run 140w speakers?

I wish someone had experience with the creative speakers because I don't know if I should go Z-640s or the T5800's or even the X-530 even though they aren't as powerful.

the z-640's are incredibly good value. i was going to get them, but for an extra $50 i could get the x620's, which are also incredibly good. the logitechs are said to have much better subwoofers, owing to a "patented double chamber design". i've had them for over a year, and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Thanks for your opinions, I think I'm gonna settle with the Z-640s because they are more powerful than the X530s and they have a better Subwoofer and I really want the good bass :) But if anyone has any experience with the bass and loudness the X-530s have, please tell me because the X-530's are suppose to have better sound quality but lower bass. But if the bass wasn't too much lower and still hit pretty hard I would go for the newer X-530s.

unless you are going to have your new speakers playing deathmetal on full volume for the next 3 hours, i don't think you will notice too much of a difference in the power

ranga said:
unless you are going to have your new speakers playing deathmetal on full volume for the next 3 hours, i don't think you will notice too much of a difference in the power
i dont think he would notice anything, the power difference is 1.2 watts according to those links

Back