Bugs, not Vivendi, Holding HL2

When did people on this forum start to concern themselves with sources and credibility? People here have jumped on every HL2/Valve/vivendi rumor or misinturpretation that happened across the net for the last 18 months.

BTW thats aimed at noone in particular, just in general.

seeing the name of the leaker - dubious quality, was enough to throw me off on this, something about this smells, no matter how true it may sound

Actually "dubious quality" is NOT the name of the leaker (he's just "anonymous").

Dubious quality is the name of Bill Harris's blog site.

Edge said:
This is a contradictory statement. Three show stoppers... nothing huge? They are SHOW STOPPERS hehe
It depends entirely on how you define "show stoppers".

Sprafa said:
I wonder if the shadow bug is one of those :)
This is technically not a bug, it's an engine limitation.

Keep in mind RC5 is usually the lucky number for the release candidates. If RC5 goes through as planned, a gold statement may be made as soon as week's end. If not...see ya in 2005.

I recall someone talking about how bugs were rated, with frequency being just as important as extremity. The 3 showstopping bugs might only occur on particular hardware set up.

What I don't understand then is what exactly did the magazines review? If there were 3 "show stopping" bugs, how could they play the game all the way through and give it an honest review?
Because reviewers ALWAYS play unfinished code for reviews, they are used to bugs, and usually write under the assumptions that the bugs will be fixed.

By three showstoppers I'm sure they mean 'with this hardware config the game crashes here', if you do this bizarre thing here you get stuck in the collision', and the like

Just make 2004 and i'll be happy.

yeah about the bugs, it would be particular setups, you cant tell me valve would send a RC knowing full well you cant make it past lvl 2 because of some bug...

Actually the main show stopping bug involves a particular part where Alyx just walks around nude for the entire level.

That bug just "stopped" the VU playtesters for about 10 minutes or so. :p

Ghost Freeman said:
Keep in mind RC5 is usually the lucky number for the release candidates. If RC5 goes through as planned, a gold statement may be made as soon as week's end. If not...see ya in 2005.

Rubbish. It'll take as many RCs as are required. There's no "lucky number"

To add more useless and not likely speculation... The bugs could´ve been in a, by magazines, untested and secret component of the game ;)

Vivendi doesnt want to miss xmas sales. will be out in 2004. Id bet anything it will.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Rubbish. It'll take as many RCs as are required. There's no "lucky number"

PMR - can you tell us if the "los res textures in huge outdoor areas" will be solved ? :eek:

It's not a problem that requires solving.

When you compile a map (at least in HL- I'm assuming that it works the same way in HL2), the compiler breaks the brushes up into chunks the same size as the texture covering them. If you have a large outdoor area, you want it to have as few polys as possible, so you stretch the texture to create less splits. While it improves the polycount, it obviously doesn't look quite as good.

Chris said he was going to check the reliablity of the RC post....any status on the legitimacy of this chris???

Seriously I'm on edge now after reading this thread.

Yeah! Just think of all the pointless little things you'll be able to find fault with in HL2!

Pi Mu Rho said:
It's not a problem that requires solving.

When you compile a map (at least in HL- I'm assuming that it works the same way in HL2), the compiler breaks the brushes up into chunks the same size as the texture covering them. If you have a large outdoor area, you want it to have as few polys as possible, so you stretch the texture to create less splits. While it improves the polycount, it obviously doesn't look quite as good.

TRUFORM/temporal Anti-Aliasing should deal with the issue very well. Of course, you need about a 75fps rate to start with, but we will have to wait and see.

It really doesn't matter, as from the US pcgamer review, it's outside, when you are in the buggy, like in the recent coast bink, that the texture quality drops. Well, that bink looked ok to me..

Sprafa said:
I wonder if the shadow bug is one of those :)

I was wondering the same thing. I think that is a major bug which should be fixed, but it's in CS Source too...

the shadow thing is not a bug...just something they have done to prevent online lag. physics object casting shadows on other physics objects can lead to huge slowdowns. binding the shadows to walls/floors leads to less netcode, i think. And the netcode rocks. Complain all you want, but in MY OPINION, CS:S is great.

Mr. Redundant said:
Bug free in 16 days!

(heh, someone had to do it)
To be fair, this was only in refernce to Valve's in-house testing. Vivendi's QA department may be more thorough, or perhaps these bugs relate to various hardware configurations that Valve was unable to test.

Mountain Man said:
To be fair, this was only in refernce to Valve's in-house testing. Vivendi's QA department may be more thorough, or perhaps these bugs relate to various hardware configurations that Valve was unable to test.
I thought that Valve's In house testers had been playing the game for almost a year.

didn't they say they started testing in like october of last year?
... then again theres not only bug fixes to be made, but game-ballance and pacing (big thing with pacing I believe) to be considered.

regardless that is a moot point, for some reason (probably valid, unless vu are dicking around with Valve) the game is not in our hands.

thank goodness Valve rock hard enough to have given us CS:S to nitpick and bitch about.. oh and play :D (Im being sarcastic I don't nitpick or bitch about cs:s)

Pi Mu Rho said:
We actually get quite a lot of information from various sources. We're just not always allowed to share it.

So, how can I join the staff at HalfLife2.net then? :)

Methias said:
So, how can I join the staff at HalfLife2.net then? :)

Hehe. Yeah. Tell me too :D

On-topic:
Maybe we will hear "Gold!!" in a couple of weeks then ?

I just got back from bird hunting a couple of days, and halflife2.net is filled up with news. It feels like I've been away for months.

cadaveca said:
TRUFORM/temporal Anti-Aliasing should deal with the issue very well. Of course, you need about a 75fps rate to start with, but we will have to wait and see.

It really doesn't matter, as from the US pcgamer review, it's outside, when you are in the buggy, like in the recent coast bink, that the texture quality drops. Well, that bink looked ok to me..

Wtf does temporal Anti-Alizsing have anything to do with the polycount of the map?...You might want to research what Aliasing is and how Anti-Aliasing "fixes" it... Then worry about what temporal AA is...

Pi Mu Rho said:
Yeah! Just think of all the pointless little things you'll be able to find fault with in HL2!

This man gets my vote. :naughty:

Where is she? this is her momment...

Back