Bullet effects

gokumike

Reaction score
I don't know if i should of started a new thread about a new topic i want to discuss but i want to talk about bullet effects..., I don't know about you but ive played games that had shitty bullet effects. like battlefield 1942, it looks like you are shooting a BB gun on that game, you shoot a wooden wall and it bounces off and you see a little spark, same when you shoot the dirt, its ridiculous. Ive shot guns in Real life and i know how it should look like when a bullet of a releative caliber hits water or wood or dirt. The new counterstrike video for HL2 for bullets hitting the water was dead on for realism i think. but what about concrete, dirt,walls and etc? and debris flying up as you hit these objects, ive seen games where you shoot the dirt and no debris flys up, in Real life you shoot the dirt you see dirt and a little grass fly up, If you shoot a dirty wooden plank you hear the wood make a snaping sound and if it was a little dirty you see some dust fly up as well.

With their material system I'm sure every surface will produce a different effect.

One thing I'd read that cheered me up (and damned if I remember where I saw it.. possibly the valve email thread here) was that the different weapon calibers all made correspondingly different sized effects.

e.g. a .9mm will leave a smaller hole than a .223 round. Sounds trivial, but little things like that make the game sound a lot more appealing. If you never notice things like that it's no biggie. But when they finally get to adding little touches, you start noticing them more often, and say to yourself "heh, that was pretty cool!"

Anyways, it does indeed look like HL2 will have better weapons/particle effects than we're used to seeing.

Yes bullets will kick up debris based on the caliber. Go read some CS: Source impressions.

For christ sake, battlefield isn't focused on small little things like that.

HL2 looks fine, same with Cs:S.

Battle field was stupid, ive shot a people like 15 times in the chest and they didn't die, and basicly seen a shelll from a ship hit right next to a guy and he didn't even get a scratch.

Back