Buying through steam & using the hl2 disc.

M

MaJ

Hey Guys,

Iv finished preloading HL2 but have a question.

If i purchase HL2 on the net & then format my machine, that would require me to download all the files again. If my mate purchases HL2 from the stores & I make a copy of that cd, should there be any problem with using the key I purchased over the net with a burnt copy?

Just to save some time in the future.

Thanx for any help.

:cheers:

You could just back up through steam what you have now and have essentially the same thing as a retail copy. But should you copy a retail disc I believe your plan will work.

Well, you'd think so, but we wont really know until we see the install proccess. Durring the install it could ask for a steam ID, check it, and if HL2 is flagged on that account it'll let you install. But who knows. It might not allow retail installation for a steam-bought HL2.

You can just drag the archives off the disc in any case. I installed a retail copy and there is nothing that happens during the install. You just have to go in steam and type your cd key after it is done. Then wait of course.

So it doesnt actually do the authenticating durring install? When does it do it? first time you try to run it?

You have to do it before running the game. You install, put your key into Steam, then you have to DL from 99-100% (meaning 1%). Then you just sit and wait for activation. No idea why only 99% comes on the DVD.

Actually you DL alot less than 1%, thats just what the meter says.

So this means that there is definatly one file we need to download, as opposed to just aquiring the key?

Well it might just be the progress in percent, and activation is the last step that takes you fully to 100%... unless it actually shows files being transfered, which would be interesting to see what they left out :p

I wonder if you can pre-load through steam and then when you get your retail copy through the post or however you have purchased it you can enter the key from that copy to unlock it. Saves installing from the DVD and particularly for the poor americans who have all those CDs. Bless ;)

MaJ said:
Hey Guys,

Iv finished preloading HL2 but have a question.

If i purchase HL2 on the net & then format my machine, that would require me to download all the files again. If my mate purchases HL2 from the stores & I make a copy of that cd, should there be any problem with using the key I purchased over the net with a burnt copy?

Just to save some time in the future.

Thanx for any help.

:cheers:
You would have to if you dont back up the files before you reformat...
just backup the files before you format... steam allows you to do that...

steam://backup/ is the commandline command you need to use

ou also have to remember if you got a steam package with Dod:s you wont be getting that with the retail versions
and depending if it was not the ce that your friend has you wont even get hl:s

and another thing the keys for retail and steam is slightly different... as if you give steam the key to the cd copy it will actually ask for the cd

Alyx said:
I wonder if you can pre-load through steam and then when you get your retail copy through the post or however you have purchased it you can enter the key from that copy to unlock it. Saves installing from the DVD and particularly for the poor americans who have all those CDs. Bless ;)
Sorry to rain on your parade but it has been discovered you will need the cds or dvd to install the game

Tkmaster said:
Sorry to rain on your parade but it has been discovered you will need the cds or dvd to install the game
Source? That's what I thought.
Quit posting bullcrap.

Back