C++

H

Habitual Scorp

i want to learn C++
what is the best way to start learning it
and f anyone knows any sites that can help me i will really like it
thanx

Reading is the best way, find a book or a webpage ;)

:cheers:

yes it is
but i dont know if i can at my age im still in high school
i hope my school has it
i took cumputer science i think that might have it

A lot of high schools, had C++, but many are switching to JAVA.

The reason being is that he college board, changed the Comsci AP to JAVA ( it formerly was C++), hence JAVA can be taught as an AP
Class, and C++ isn't.

If you can't find a class, get a good book (C++ for dummies). Learning the concepts of a programming is kinda menial through internet tutorials, but to each his own, I suppose.

why did they change it
and what is betetr java or C++??

Better for what? :) If you're thinking about programming 3D stuff (DirectX or OGL) C++ is the answer. If you'd like to code smth and then forget about it (some tiny little applications, servlets or snippets) go ahead and learn Java.

And one more thing:
"A lot of high schools, had C++, but many are switching to JAVA."

Well, why not learning both (as it is at mine)? Java is suitable for different tasks than C++. That's all. :]

Used to be C++ at my uni, but the buggers switched to Java the year I got there. Now only second year students can learn it.

Still, the point isn't to learn a particular language, apparently, but to learn about object-orientatedness. Or something.

I'd suggest The Complete Idiot's Guide To C++, by Paul Snaith, published by (Alpha Books) Que. Apparently you can look it up on www.mcp.com .

Quite a good book for a beginner. Importantly, it doesn't assume a prior knowledge of C, as a lot of other C++ books do.

Hope it helps.:thumbs:

I learned java-script through internet tutorials at www.pageresource.com when I was trying to build a webpage. It taught me all sorts of programming fundamentals, like functions, looping, and all that good stuff. It really prepared me for CS and gave me a head-start on all of the concepts that we went through in class. I wouldn't advise learning CS through a book. Take a course and supplement with reading. I think that's the most thorough way to learn it.

edit: I don't understand why they're switching to java! C++ is so powerful! It's the only language that allows you to manipulate individual bits! I just don't understand why they'd want to switch to Java :-\

BTW: For C++ I recommend Thinking In C++ (for free).

Sandman: 'cause Java is a good option for some type of tasks. :)

ya i hope that i will learn C++
and so there are good stuff that invoves java and some good stuff that is better to do with c++

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Still, the point isn't to learn a particular language, apparently, but to learn about object-orientatedness. Or something.
This is true, syntax is easy, what is hard is the concepts of programming, once you know them, then learning a new language is a matter of learning new syntax, which takes a week or two max.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
I don't understand why they're switching to java! C++ is so powerful! It's the only language that allows you to manipulate individual bits!
C does as well (yes it is a different language!)

Ive got the C++ for dummies, but i wonder what program are they using in the book? I haven't seen the name mentioned anywhere

At my high school the offer c++ as a course. and they also have java which is bundled with visual basic 6. I am currently taking the visual basic course and it is the easiest thing ever.

When I was in high school 4 years ago (in Ontario Canada) I took the second highest level computers course there and we spent 3/4 of the year learning C (not C++) and the last quarter Java. I have been going over my old C stuff and I Just started to move to C++. The java helps because its also object orientated. Try learning C first it helps teach the basics. Once you have done enough C then migrate over the C++ which isn't all that different.

C isn't that different, C++ is just a superset of C. The primary differences are C++'s dynamic memory management, strong typing, and the use of classes.

Taking a C course right now at Uni. The text is C Program Design for Engineers and would highly recommend it. All the concepts (loops, functions, pointers, arrays, structures etc..) are explained well and there is a section at the end which transitions to Object Oriented Programming in C++. I've been to about 5 (including the 2 that I slept through) lectures all semester because the book does such a good job of teaching the C language. I'm told learning C before C++ isn't necessary but, for myself atleast, it has been very useful for building a good programming foundation.

Originally posted by henrym

C does as well (yes it is a different language!)

C++ is a superset of C, meaning that C++ is based off of it and includes the entire C language, and it adds things that can only be done with C++. I can compile C code in a C++ compiler with no problems at all. So when I say C++ is the only language that can do something, I really mean that C++ including C, with the exception of those things that only C++ can do, is the only language that can do something : )

That's not true Sandman, C++ does some things differently than C, it's not simply "C with classes"

Yeh, C++ is not just C with classes, but C++ is still a superset of C, so all good ANSI C code is also C++ code.

Sure, the two do generally have a different style, for example when writing a Hello World program, but the C Hello World program is still valid C++.

Back