Caliber News

A

Azlan

Every once in awhile, I'll get news of an upcoming mod that just blows me away. In terms of sheer completion, I am most impressed with Caliber's progress. Included in this release are skinned model renders of the acumen, the cohort, the autorifle, and the small machine gun.[br]</br>In addition, they have a fantastic Video Engine Test showcasing actual working models, both player, weapon models, new sound effects, a custom built level, and more. You can download their Video Engine Test in three formats:
http://www.calibermod.com/media/Caliber_enginetest_verylow.wmv[br]

[br]
</center>[br]To visit their brand new website, click this link.

Glad to see its not Resident Evil.

edit: just watched the vid, amazing work!

Looks good, I thought they may have just been models and not players but I was mistaken :)

Finally something brand new......
Looks very cool,downloading the engine test right now.

My curiousity is peaked.

Its reassuring to see a mod this far along.

Do you think some mod teams hold back what they have completed until they are certain they want to share it perhaps?

those are some amazingly creative weapons. Nice job.

As for the video. FINALLY!!!!! IN-GAME MOD MEDIA!!! AWESOME!!

Looks great.

I have a feeling several mods are at this stage already but they just have kept it under wraps.

Kudos.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Just watched vid.. looks very nice, i like the whole "more than 2 teams" idea... should be very intersesting..

Well done

I noticed that the muzzle flash is too high on the guns; seems like 2 inches above where it should be.

It's pretty amazing what they've accompished in such a small ammount of time.

It's good to finally see a real mod in action, all these "mods" that are really just new levels and modified existing weapons were getting old.

Definitely looks promising. Can't wait to try it. Interesting concept as well.

Simply Put- Incredible. If I am aksed for ANY criticism, all I could say was the logo in the beggining and a B and an I too close together. That's all.

WhiteZero said:
I noticed that the muzzle flash is too high on the guns; seems like 2 inches above where it should be.

It's pretty amazing what they've accompished in such a small ammount of time.

I noticed that too, but maybe that is where it is supposed to be, they are wierd looking guns.

I thought it looked pretty nice, but the thing with the ingame shots is I had no idea who was blue, who was purple, and who was red.

looks promising indeed! only crit: the music in the video SUCKS! but.. it LOOKS good.. i guess that's what it's all about.. hehe

Now THAT is an excellent way of showing off mods. I hope a lot of teams take notice that this is how you should announce your stuff, not with a couple model renders.

looking good, but are the textures on the models unfinished on purpous?
(or is it some weird kinda stylized approach)

I look forward to seeing more from this mod, but why is the bubble armor futuristic cop look from ghost in a shell such a popular design choice nowadays between mods?

btw Tiesto rocks baby!
even at this early point in developement, the mod actually looks fun to play heh.

I also like how you made sparks emit from the player models as they slide along the ground.

I had a gut feeling that video would have a techno track...

Why do they insist on calling it an "engine video" ?

Looks amazing, it really captures how a shooter should feel.

I like how the enemies have metal armor and produces sparks when shot, and also when it slides along the floor.

I think particle effects are important with games like this, the impacts on the carpet looked good already, but I think the stone walls need to produce a bigger puffs of dust. Exaggeration is a must here.

DM. With 3 teams. And a couple of new player models. And a couple of new weapon models.

Yeah.

I am really mad I didn't get any credit for the work i did on the mod. My name is Martin, I know my name on here says voldro, that is cause some one already had martin. You see those staind glass windows. I did those. I also did the normal maps for the player model. Hand painted some detail. I got almost all of the materials in game. So why was I removed from the list completely. I took a leave of absenece for a while to work on something else and I told the team this but now I have been removed completely. So what is up?

Wow if thats true, that's f'd up.

I'd ask them to remove your work, which is your right unless you signed something up front before starting work for them.

conflict has been resolved guys. Got resovled in about 1 hour.

Voldro said:
I am really mad I didn't get any credit for the work i did on the mod. My name is Martin, I know my name on here says voldro, that is cause some one already had martin. You see those staind glass windows. I did those. I also did the normal maps for the player model. Hand painted some detail. I got almost all of the materials in game. So why was I removed from the list completely. I took a leave of absenece for a while to work on something else and I told the team this but now I have been removed completely. So what is up?

They didn't state credit to anyone else either... So you aren't being singled out or forgotten. You are still on the team list (under inactive members of course).

Wow.. a mod made by the guys who run NSArmsLab.com and their NS servers.

I'm looking forward to it.
Good luck, Al Gorge, Ryan, Wozer, and all you other NSAers I missed. :)

wow. that video made me wanna cry. Its so AWESOME to see a mod this far along and it looks great. kind of a UT or Halo style but still looks great. how in the world did u guys get so much done so fast? o ya, the techno in the video is awesome too

Thanks for the kind words, the staff is really working hard on this project. The video is designed to show that we are real serious about this mod and to show what we have gotten in the engine so far, it does not show gameplay elements whatso ever. We are working on more models, textures and gameplay elements at the moment. We have gotten a real good response from the media release.

Just to kinda clear up something, the Acumen has a vampire in it, the Cohort has a Vampiric spirit that drives the machine. There are lots of other cool things coming out so stay tuned and check out our site for constant info, videos and high res images.

We are def looking for talent, were looking for level designers, texture artists etc, see our site for the list of openings.

Thanks for the positive feedback, we are def looking to do something different from whats been done so were doing the best we can.

:D
<AL Gorge

This video is so much better than the Stargate: The Last Stand door video, which showed a door being opened...for like 2 minutes...
This mod is far along. Whether or not it's high quality on release, they'll fix problems and add things even before other mods realease their half-finished mods.

georgeblunt said:
looks promising indeed! only crit: the music in the video SUCKS! but.. it LOOKS good.. i guess that's what it's all about.. hehe
I noticed that too!

u guys dont like music from Global Underground? OMG, its only the best electronica artists from all over the world, next video Ill throw in music from house of pain or something to keep it real, Brooklyn style :D

Or if you guys have any suggestions let me know. Expect some German industrial some time soon also! :devil:

Yes, this would've been an alright Engine Test Video. If it had been released as a promotional thing for HL2 in early '04. The video doesn't really show much more than the model shots do. I can't be sure of this since I haven't worked on a mod, or even toyed around with any programs they might've used, but I'd think most mod teams that release finished models like those(are they really finished? they seem to lack a good deal of detail on the torsos and backs, some stuff also looks to smoothened out) don't have much left to do before they'll have brand new weapons to blast off at their home-made skins. The "level design" doesn't really deserve any applauds either. So yes, it's very much like how Pi Mu Rho described it.
(what's up with the "engine test video" name anyway? it's not like you've made the engine. also; less techno, more custom sounds)

engine test probably refers to the fact that they have got their own player models, weapons and probably a bit of code too, into a map they are working on.
engine denoting that they have content up and running in source already, test denoting that the content is very much in it's infancy.
a more appropriate name would have been "in-game" / "in-engine" test.

looks promising, not impressive. promising.

Back