Can you remember/find and link to the first ever post you made on these forums?

The Dark Elf

Reaction score
I know mine is still somewhere, I think it was a typical show off post where I was put down pretty quickly (considering I was saying the stolen version buggy pic was fake.. how wrong I was haha)

Can you remember your first ever post you made?

Because this thread means looking up old topics.. It's not an excuse to drag up old threads and start posting in them again, we'll just lock them and tell you off, so don't do it :)

Infact.. just copy/paste your first post into this thread and not link to it.. that'll be better :)

no, but it was probably something really noobish :) i browsed the forums for awhile before i joined, i couldnt think of anything to say.

Icarus said:
I would like to see someone try to do something like the geo-mod in red faction promised to do. like shooting a hole in a pipe and having water flood the room...ect

Yeah, that was over a year ago

and techniclly, that wasn't my first post...I had one incredibly stupid post before that, on a different screen name...although the post wasn't by me...but one of the first things I did as a mod was delete that post...

My thread was justa thread asking a bunch of questions about HL2.

Not sure..
I did rant quite alot about the beta being fake and the game definitely being released 30th september back then, though. :D

EDIT: I found this post pretty amusing. :)
Letters said:
Hm,
A time like this calls for reflection... so, here, we have CrazyHarij's first post here EVAR!

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...22&postcount=38

Okay, so that wasn't a very good reflection... anyway, here's another from that fateful first day...

CrazyHarij said:
*drool* *drooooooooooooool*

Arughhhhhhhhhh......... You guys know exactly what i mean.
Aye... we did little CrazyHarij... we did... and still do...

CrazyHarij said:
Not sure..
I did rant quite alot about the beta being fake and the game definitely being released 30th september back then, though. :D
lots of people thought that :p

Dux said:
In relation to all the theories and speculation to the G-Man. I was browsing all the Source Code for Half-Life and came across the Code for the G-Man and one of the titles within the code has this:

//=========================================================
// GMan - misunderstood servant of the people
//=========================================================

Daves legendary HL2 Theories Thread !

I don't think it says DISTR... as someone has said it's a lower-case t whereas the rest are upper-case. Looks like someone started to write DISK with a K, did the vertical line of the K and realised...

I was lurking for a long time before this, but The Tests were too much and I was sucked in ;)

Icarus found my first post (I couldn't be bothered looking myself ha)

---

Originally posted by Syphoon!!
The condemning fact about this is that we have only seen one screenshot from the supposed demo/leaked art. And not a _hint_ of any videos. Why don't we see a demonstration of them walking around or shooting the buggy? Because it would instantly reveal that even if this is a mockup in another game, its not HL2.

Second, why if its HL2 art, are the textures so poor compared to the model? Compare the buggy video picture on the sand, the ground textures look a LOT better, where this fake's ground is pixellating like any old game.

Someone posted a "so called" video of the stolen source, compiled and running some very basic map. I saw it and frankly if thats the HL2 engine then I'm a three legged monkey. It was clearly using HL1 files, the Player behaved were exactly how it used to be, I couldn't make out any fancy mapping, there were no shadows atall. The water behaved exactly like it did in HL1 when the player fell into it, but wasn't even transparent. It just screamed of a HL1 map, or one of the more basic sourceforge 3D engines. It would have made sense to me, if someone wanted to try prove it was a real video of the game, to put something in there other engines couldn't do. I didn't see anything new. Granted the textures being bad was likely down to them not having the resources from HL2. I find it hard to believe though that the source engine would mimic HL1's so closely in player behavior

As for that buggy pic, well. seems like a fake, A good clue is the shadow, thats a pre-rendered soft area shadow (XSI can do shadow maps in that way and I think Max and Maya also) a real time shadow while soft, would still be like a stencil of the model, it wouldn't spread out like in that pic, and no other legit screenshot from HL2 has area type shadows, just basic stenciled soft shadows. As for the buggy being partially in the ground, thats probably their attempt to make it seem more "real" in the game, adding little mistakes and such. It is well done for a fake though. But as I've seen others saying, it wouldn't take long to model it, and I imagine a lot of people, after seeing clips from the game have tried their own, lots of fan pics. Heck someone has even made an actual life size Combine suit (which looked really good btw) And that would give people a long time, many months to put fakes together

Thats my thought on it anyway, and this is my first post so hiya everyone, this is a neat place and a nice site, hope I haven't annoyed anyone too much, would be a bad start first time posting eh :)

---

See how nice I was back then.. then I became a mod and you all went straight to hell! :p

The Dark Elf said:
Icarus found my first post (I couldn't be bothered looking myself ha)

---

Someone posted a "so called" video of the stolen source, compiled and running some very basic map. I saw it and frankly if thats the HL2 engine then I'm a three legged monkey. It was clearly using HL1 files, the Player behaved were exactly how it used to be, I couldn't make out any fancy mapping, there were no shadows atall. The water behaved exactly like it did in HL1 when the player fell into it, but wasn't even transparent. It just screamed of a HL1 map, or one of the more basic sourceforge 3D engines. It would have made sense to me, if someone wanted to try prove it was a real video of the game, to put something in there other engines couldn't do. I didn't see anything new. Granted the textures being bad was likely down to them not having the resources from HL2. I find it hard to believe though that the source engine would mimic HL1's so closely in player behavior

As for that buggy pic, well. seems like a fake, A good clue is the shadow, thats a pre-rendered soft area shadow (XSI can do shadow maps in that way and I think Max and Maya also) a real time shadow while soft, would still be like a stencil of the model, it wouldn't spread out like in that pic, and no other legit screenshot from HL2 has area type shadows, just basic stenciled soft shadows. As for the buggy being partially in the ground, thats probably their attempt to make it seem more "real" in the game, adding little mistakes and such. It is well done for a fake though. But as I've seen others saying, it wouldn't take long to model it, and I imagine a lot of people, after seeing clips from the game have tried their own, lots of fan pics. Heck someone has even made an actual life size Combine suit (which looked really good btw) And that would give people a long time, many months to put fakes together

Thats my thought on it anyway, and this is my first post so hiya everyone, this is a neat place and a nice site, hope I haven't annoyed anyone too much, would be a bad start first time posting eh :)

---

See how nice I was back then.. then I became a mod and you all went straight to hell! :p

You've... changed.. TDE. ;(

:p

"Sorry, but I think you are a retard. What the hell does it matter when you announced your mod? Nobody really gives a f*ck, and I doubt your mod will be the second to be released. Your mod is NOT official. Ask valve."

What a first post eh? :D
Those were the days etc, hehe

It's easy for those with less than 500 posts, but I don't remember.

Seems Munro has been slapping me from the beginning, 35 minutes after my first post to be precise :D
"/me slaps Onions"

Farrowlesparrow said:
Im just gonna buy them all!

How am i gonna last until september 30? ive watched the movie so many times ive lost count.

I actually remember making that post now. It was a striking summers day, the milk man had just made his rounds, and his horse was trooting down the cobbles off to the next road. The children were already out in the street, playing games, laughing and most importantly...being better in those days than now. Women were standing at their door while the horse tongue, random leftovers and "make it bland" juice were cooking.(We ate breakfast at midnight because we were working 38 hours a day, and had to be up and ready for work 12 hours before bedtime.)

*At this point FarrowLeSparrow got bored...

Edit: Oops, that wasn't my first post, this was:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=292963
Neutrino said:
No they have not been proven. There have been studies and such that show evidence one way or the other but there is no proof either proving them nor disproving them. Mostly I think they are thought of as just superstition by the scientific community, because most of the time these phenomena cannot not be repeated in a controlled experiment. If you can't repeat something consistently then it is far more likely that it was an isolated incident caused by something other than ESP powers.

While I think these are interesting subjects and there is a possiblity that some of these things exist, any report of such things should be taken with a grain of salt.
i don't have any official links but it was NEVER proven... it was proven that we only use 10% of our brain power... but it was never proven that the other 90% really has psychic powers

LOL

No it was not proven that we only use 10% of our brain power. That is a myth that has for some reason been taken for fact. It is an utterly baseless misconception that has no evidence to back it up. If you don't believe me here's few links I just googled for you:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html
http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

no way man, oranges easily blow away apples.

then again...apples are deliciously crunchy.

yeah...pointless poll... they both win

Er, yeah. Aren't I constructive?

It's weird. Some people use perfect grammar, spelling and form on their post and then it all slowly degenerates.

I believe mine (without looking it up) was in response to someone asking the name of the Stephen King tale (The Mist) Half Life is based on, or inspired by.

At the time I didn't post in any forum, this was my first post ever, but when the delay after the 30th of september started to become more evident, and you were hearing all kind of contradictory information, I posted this:

I'm going to cry...

This i just like in Melrose place, when everybody thought Andy was dead from a motorcycle accident, and then suddenly it turned out he was Gina's father, even tho they were lovers, and evil Tony tried to stop them, but then now it turns out Tony was the doctor who performed experimental brainsurgery on Andy, thinking he really was Mitch. But then Gina came and everybody was everybody's father, and nobody knew what the hell was going on, so they had a funeral, but there was nobody in the coffin(?!). And the police arrested the murderer.

Yeah, this is just like Melrose place, only more twist and turns.
And you know what? It pisses me off!

I'm kinda proud really :)

Its weird seeing the names of all the people that used to post, and have now drifted away. Most interesting is the fact that in some of these old threads there were really great guys about before the "good old days" which people keep talking about. Just goes to show that the site is always changing really. There are those that speak of times getting worse and the site going down hill...well those that say that should know that their golden times were the "site going down hill" back in the day.

I hope you all understood that...it doesn't make sense to me :)

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=73427#post73427

Feath said:
Hmm, there are quite a few misconceptions in this thread.

A few months ago there was a rumour of a delay reported on Boomtown.net. This was attributed to an anonymous source. People frantically e-mailed Valve and he sent e-mails back saying that the release date had not been changed.

And all was calm.

Then Vivendi Universal said to at least three seperate news sites that the game will not be out on September 2003 but will be out sometime in Holiday 2003.

A few points about this:

1) This was NOT from an anonymous source. Vivendi Universal did say this. A few people seem to think that it was an anonymous source, like the Boomtown article. Just because the articles didn't give the exact name of the person doesn't mean they didn't know the name, or can't say the name. They probably didn't think it was important.

2) These were respectable news sites. They would've checked this before posting. They are reporting news not reporting rumours. People should stop being so cynical about these site's motives.

3) Vivendi Universal did say this, but they later claimed that it was due to a "Miscommunication". This implies that they did say something along the lines of Holiday 2003. Therefore, Gamespy, Gamespot et al did not make it up.

It's also interesting to note that the only thing done to contradict this news report are a few e-mails to fans. There has been nothing totally official that's denied the delay, besides from that Phone call from the Vivendi PR Lady. A lot more effort in denying the rumour could've been undertaken.

Even though I've written all of this, I'm inclined to believe that there is no delay. I'm just clearing up what happened to people and giving my opinion.

I can remember my first post.. I'm pretty sure it was on the very first HL2.net thread :O

I think my first thread was an introduction in the Newbie section.

Back