can't get shadows to work

gokumike

Reaction score
ive placed a light evironment, set the pitch to all kinds of settings, i have a skybox and a no leak map, but i can never get shadows to work, ive tryed reading stuff and people say light env should cast shadows, but it doesn't, ive heard people mention VRAD and i have no idea what that is. anyone help pls?

This is going to sound stupid but do you yourself have shadows enabled in your advanced video options?

I had a problem like this because I was only adjusting the pitch. Instead of adjusting the pitch, try using Pitch, Yaw, Roll. Then maybe make Pitch match the same pitch for good measure. Then when you compile, make sure the third setting is on normal. (VRAD is the light compiler, and if it's not on normal, your lighting might turn out off kilter.)

thanks, what would be a good pitch yaw setting to set to see some shadows, and i have shadow detail set on high in advanded options.

You can click the point at button and then click the ground below the env_sun. You'll probably want to try and line it up with where the sun will be. If you want more contrast, lower the Ambient setting.

do you have to have a env sun to have shadows to work?
cuase it would look weird to have the sun and the extra one already on the skybox?

Back