Can't get the console down.

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
I've created a file named autoexec.cfg and written this in it: bind "\" "toggleconsole" as told in another thread. I've also activated it in advanced keyboard options. And I still can't get it down. Now what?

i think you should try

Code:
bind p toggleconsole

like that, with no " marks, another thing is i dont know if it will recognize a /, but i know itll work with a letter, so just picka letter you dont use.

Hey try going on steam and right clickin' on "Half Life 2", now "Properties" and in the new Tab "Launching options". In the edit insert the string "-console".
Push "ok" and launch the game...
Now everytime u open the game the console will be already open ! :p

and what to do when i dont want the console any more? just press ^ or what? ... dont want to play with the console open the whole time.

Lol .. "console already opened" don't means IN THE GAME but when u push Esc ... The in-game is Normal-look and in menu-mode u can exit the console anytime as it's a window i think... :)

I still haven't solved this. Can someone that had the same problem but fixed it tell me exactly who you did it?

Have a look in the control options in HL2 and look under "advanced options"

What sort of keyboard do you have?

^Ben said:
Have a look in the control options in HL2 and look under "advanced options"

What sort of keyboard do you have?

Yes, where you can choose different keyboards? I saw that one in CS:S, but it isn't there anymore. In that file there are only "Enable fast weapon swich" and "Enable developer's console". Trust me, the second one is turned on.

You might have a differnt keyboard standard then me, but try.

@ " ~ :¬ `

Also do you have your language and keyboard setup as sweedish?

^Ben said:
You might have a differnt keyboard standard then me, but try.

@ " ~ :¬ `

Also do you have your language and keyboard setup as sweedish?

Now this is getting onteresting. it was the keyboard setting that I found before, but now I can't see it. Where can I choose it?

In windows not in HL2.

I can't actually find were to change it in windows.

i 2 have this same problem. i have Modified the Cfg file and added
Code:
Bind "p" "toggleconsole"

But that didn't work. i took the -console text and put that into the shortcut which made the console appear when i start HL2 but that's not what i want. i want to be able to tickle with the console anytime which i cant do now because im unable to get it to work/show up.

I've also tried to bind the letter "p" to the console in the console which didn't work that either. and i've got the Developer console box marked.

This is some weird shit

I will drag up this thread every once in a while, either until I fix or a mod close it. Will you pleeeeeeeeeeeeease help me!

I tried this, you are correct in that it doesnt work, I binded l to toggleconsole and pressing l produced an l in the console.

For my keyboard, there is a button right next to the button for 1 (not the num pad) which works, it is the default button. For me is has a ` and pressing it with shift produces a ¬.

Open up your config.cfg and look at your bindings (alternatively do key_listboundkeys in the hl2 console, which i presume you cant). What buttons are bound to "toggleconsole" ?

xiphrex said:
I tried this, you are correct in that it doesnt work, I binded l to toggleconsole and pressing l produced an l in the console.

For my keyboard, there is a button right next to the button for 1 (not the num pad) which works, it is the default button. For me is has a ` and pressing it with shift produces a ¬.

Open up your config.cfg and look at your bindings (alternatively do key_listboundkeys in the hl2 console, which i presume you cant). What buttons are bound to "toggleconsole" ?

Where is my config.cfg? I created a textdocument in the Steam-steamapps-*user name*-half-life 2-hl2-cfg called "autoexec.cfg". There is wrote: bind "p" toggleconsole

I've tried to change the the document's name, change the content in the file in all ways possible and it still doesn't work.

There's also file named "config" there, but that I can't open. There is also a RC-file there called "valve", but that I can't open either.

Right, forget all the .cfgs.

The way i've done it in CSS, HL2, HL2:DM is this...

Add -console to the launch options.

Start the game.

Once ingame type, for example "bind F3 toggleconsole", without the ", This will bind the console to F3. Happy gaming ^__^

MaxiKana said:
Right, forget all the .cfgs.

The way i've done it in CSS, HL2, HL2:DM is this...

Add -console to the launch options.

Start the game.

Once ingame type, for example "bind F3 toggleconsole", without the ", This will bind the console to F3. Happy gaming ^__^

It worked! I love you MaxiKana!

"Add -console to the launch options.

Start the game.

Once ingame type, for example "bind F3 toggleconsole", without the ", This will bind the console to F3. Happy gaming ^__^"

not working for me
questions:

* I check the dev console in the advanced setting for keyboard
* cant get concole down (swedish keyboard , dont know where to push)

Dont know where to type the bind command?

help me

Back