Can't run on multiple machines; why?

A

abie1

Can I install hl2 on more than one machine. I've never had this problem before w/ any software. But I have hl2 installed on my pc & then I tried to install on my mobile workstation; the installation went fine but it won't accept the key; it says I'm using it on another machine. Why can't I run the software on both? Is there somekind of workaround that I don't know about.

I'm running it on my laptop and a pc. We can't both play online at the same time, but everything else works.... Another friend of mine is having your problem as well. I'm not sure what the problem with it is.

It worked for me, you have to use the same Steam account for both computers but you can't be on at the same time or it won't work. It didn't even prompt me for the cd key when I installed it on my laptop because it's registered under that Steam acct.

V

If you use the same Steam account and don't have both machines logged into Steam at the same time then it should work, I'd think.

Having both PCs logged into Steam at the same time might make them think someone has given someone else a copy and could cause you big problems, so I'd only ever have on logged in at once.

For convenience, I've got it running on 2 machines on my LAN. Just don't try and run it on both or login to STEAM on both at the same time.

Back