Can't uninstall Steam!!

chili pepper

Reaction score
Damn this Steam won't let me uninstall it!! Or am I missing something??

Worse, there is no option in settings to disable the "start with windows" option!! This is worse than spyware! Who is the idiot who wrote this program?? I can't believe this shit is made by Valve.

Anyone know how to uninstall it?

Install Kazaa... that's spyware.

I would tell you but I won't because you're criticism is too constructive. Honest.

EDIT: bah

C:\Program Files\Steam\UNWISE.EXE

It uninstalls for me. Just go into the directory its installed in

C:\Program Files\Steam for me, and double click on unwise.exe

As for not starting up in windows yes it has an option.

If you have to ASK someone how to uninstall a Windows program then that program is screwed up.

And yes, Steam is listed in control panel but when you click to uninstall it, it gives you a weird error message, the whle thing disappears from the add-remove programs list, and Steam is still running when you start your computer.

Anyone else tried to uninstall it? I'm using Windows ME and have never experienced this problem with any program before, beta or not.

You say there's no setting to disable "Start with Windows"? Look again. In fact, I'm looking at it right now.

And before you try to uninstall it, shut it down first. It's all common sense.

No actually it is common sense that a lot of uninstall files are called UNIWSE.EXE. Search your HDD and I bet you find more than one. You just didn't know, therefore the program isn't ****ed up. And it's beta. Must be a bug.

Originally posted by chili pepper

Worse, there is no option in settings to disable the "start with windows" option!! This is worse than spyware! Who is the idiot who wrote this program?? I can't believe this shit is made by Valve.

I can do that with my steam :p

You can uninstall it. Go to the control panel and uninstall it, and then search for the Steam folder in Program files and delete the folder.

wrong forum group maybe your problem is you dont read everything...?

It finally uninstalled with unwise.exe. I always uninstall with the control panel so its odd that it wouldn't uninstall that way.

Stupid thing drove me nuts trying to get off my system.

Click START then move your mouse over to CONTROL PANEL, click on it, a window should come up. look for an icon with the name ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS. Select steam and hit remove.

follow the on screen instructions and you will be on your way to uninstalling games

Yeah Ray, I think 4 people have explained the different methods to him already and I think he's got it already.

Its not the program that sucks, its the person that uses it. Steam is the farthest thing from spyware, chili.

Actually, Windows programs tend to be riddled with problems and bugs, both minor and major. Which is a major weakness of the PC platform when running the more complex stuff such as 3D games. I like online games which I can't get with consoles which are a more stable platform.

At the same time I have to put up with many inherent potential problems and frustration of the PC platform. It's a tradeoff.

consoles crash and they also have bugs. there is no tradeoff
pc is superior in every aspect.

Console games can crash and burn but not nearly as much as PC games. Hopefully there will be less probems and headaches when I get Windows XP and a bigger hard drive to run it..

Hate to break it to you, but XP will most likely only add to your troubles.

Valve better give us all free copies of half-life 2 for putting up with steam and its many quirks, i tell thee.

Nah Mountain Man, for me XP works very good, only game where I had crashes is Morrowind, but than again, who didn't?

Back