Carmack crashes out of X-prize race

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
"While Armadillo Aerospace will continue their work it seems unlikely they will be able to launch a vehicle before the timeframe runs out."

"We had telemetry all the way to the time of impact, which matched the video perfectly, landing eight meters from the launch point. The vehicle hit the ground basically sideways, a little tail first. The bottom manway flange broke off the tank, and the 450 pound tank with 180 psi pressure still in it got punted about 200 yards away by the gas release. $35,000 of rocket is now a whole lot of primo Armadillo Droppings. "

here's what happened

here's the video of the crash ...ouch!!!

EDIT: The X-Prize race is a competition to get a privately owned manned spaceship into space

Yeah i heard about that. Its a shame. It would have been pretty cool if they had of won...

maybe he should have worked on the phsyics systema little more... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahah AHAHAHAhahaha ahem!, excuse me, i'll go now.

further proof splitting your time between building a rocketship and making a game isnt a good idea. At least it was an unmanned flight ...bet the real pilots are getting nervous :)

It looks like it overcompensated for a gust of wind... bad code Mr Carmack!

Ah well, trial and error. I just hope they sort that out before they put someone up in it.

FIRST DOOM3 NOW THIS?!?!!? OMFG POOR MR. CARMACK!??!!
quick to the carmack-cave to hug some large bags of cash.

:)

but seriously.. that sucks.

omgz!! did you see the physics on that rocket crash!!

Clearly it was too heavy and didn't have enough propulsion. and this is clearly the reason why NASA uses fuel based rockets.

Funny video :thumbs:

did they really expect that thing to go into space?

Its just a test...it wasn't supposed to go very high that time.

it's funny in the article he states "It's a good thing that doom3 is selling very well" lol

Back