Character

simon

Spy
Reaction score
This is a character i did for our mod www.off-limits.be it's the Vanguard character, still not 100% ready, need to fix /adjust some things, it's about 3980 triangles.. (i should check)
hope you like it:

vanguard-large.jpg

(There was a mayor newsupdate by our MOD just now aswell, skinned guns + concept art + news vehicle, check it out on our forum: http://www.off-limits.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2603 )

looking very nice for a mere 4k tris. And the rig doesn't look half bad either :)

He looks to have a very long torso, I only mention it because It's a problem I often encounter myself when modeling, but it's only really prevalent when he's in the T position. The shoulder pads feel a little large, and it feels like his arms are connected to the pads rather than his body. Mostly nit-picks though, nice model, reminds me of the vacuum bobs from Marathon.

thanks guys!

1. the torso is correct, i took 2 references, both matched, in fact, every part of the body (underneath the armor) is in proportions as it is in real life :)
2. the shoulder pads are pretty large yes, but that's to protect from alien beatings, the character if made for the mod, that's why he's pretty heavy looking
3. the arms are connected on the body, i 1st modeled the small armor below (like cops have today) and then modeled the heavy armor on top, everything is in order, the reason why it might look that way is because of the shoulder pads on his lower vest, but once he is textured, this should all be cleared out

but still, i need to fix some things around the shoulder part and weist, since i have some parts that don't move 100% the way i like them to move when animated, but that's for later, now i need my rest :)

looks excellent :)

the angles looks a bit hard... but texturing might make that less noticable.

the hand looks a bit funny looking in the posed shot.

minor quibbles. not much to crit. :D

If you are happy with it then it's fine, I do want to give a general warning about following references, there are no infallible reference images, there are no orthographic lens to capture images, there are no garuantee that some odd highlight isn't a trick of the light. If you can, use artistic rules of propotion and your own eye rather than try to follow a reference image point for point. If you are using concept art as your reference be aware that the artist may not be paying any attention to the structure underneath. If you don't have any background in art it really is a vital skill to at least understand figure drawing if you are going to try modeling something. Anyway I think the shoulder thing is just an artifact from the T posing for the inital model, an his torso length looks fine in the posed shot so it may just be the general flow of equipment that makes it look odd.

well, just spent till 5am making this media list for our mod

* our weapon selection = complete (still need to finish texturing/unwrapping some)
* still need to add the characters
* more vehicles, some are NOT playable (mood pieces)
* the rest of the ammo still needs to be done
* some more equipment
alot more ... etc etc ... :)

hope you like it:

http://users.pandora.be/simon.wt/medialist/

nice! looks like you're on the way to a very nice mod. keep it up!

I don't have any issues with the proportions, personally. Do what you think is best.
Still, my advice: listen to the crits. Even if the models accurate, if it looks odd to some people, there might be something worth changing, just for that reason.

Whatever. Can't wait to see a finished version :)

Back