Character's looks in HL:S

Don't really know.

I think HL:S will be more of a direct port, and so the characters will look exactly the same as in HL.

Yeah i think it takes sooo long to do the characters that they'l do what they've already said and just add physics.

They're not even revamping textures :(

chriso20 said:
Yeah i think it takes sooo long to do the characters that they'l do what they've already said and just add physics.

They're not even revamping textures :(

hey they already have models for eli and kleiner and barney.

they could just import them to hl:s

just like some weapons:
glock from cs:s
mp 5 from cs:s with an grenade addition
crowbar from hl2
magnum from hl2
shotgun from hl2
rpg from hl2
crossbow from hl2
grenade from cs:s

they already have most of the models for hl:s so i just don't get it. why wouldn't they put new models in it, they only have to make a couple more. most of the models can be get out of half life 2 and counter-strike:source

For the last time, they are not revamping anything. it's a direct port, they're not making models, sounds, anything. The most important thing you'll see is physics, lighting and the water.

They DID change the bullsquid though.

Actually things from HL2 that exist in HL1 are just put over.

Zombies, headcrabs, bullsquid etc.

Cant can we, its from the leak. The eyes are amazing.

The leak is NOT HL: source. Valve has specificly said they're not going to port the HL2 models in HL1. (Which was followed up with them saying that they wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising modder went ahead and did it...)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Do you have a specific day? I don't see anything on a quick glance with the Search feature.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

The problem with porting the character models from Halflife2 to Halflife is that in Halflife2, they are 10 years older, 10 years can do a lot to the way a person looks.

Razor said:
The problem with porting the character models from Halflife2 to Halflife is that in Halflife2, they are 10 years older, 10 years can do a lot to the way a person looks.

. :)

The version of Half-Life: Source in the stolen build is not a representation of what it will look like upon release.

Plus if they jsut import HL2 models

Eli will have on leg, which wouldnt make too much sense

Plus if they use the same models, they wont have ragdoll physics

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
Plus if they use the same models, they wont have ragdoll physics

Actually, under Source they will. The zombies, headcrabs, bullsquids etc should all ragdoll just as in HL2.

Why would they replace the HL models by the HL2 versions? HL:S is a direct port, nothing more. If you want the HL2 models, play HL2. Personally i'd prefer if they keep the HL look and feel rather than importing HL2 models, that wouldn't make sense.

Ti133700N said:
Why would they replace the HL models by the HL2 versions? HL:S is a direct port, nothing more. If you want the HL2 models, play HL2. Personally i'd prefer if they keep the HL look and feel rather than importing HL2 models, that wouldn't make sense.

if you want everything the same go and play the original hl. its about the source engine. the looks of half life 2 on half life 1

KillaH said:
if you want everything the same go and play the original hl.
W3rd.

I'd love a totally revamped Half-Life, but I dont really expect them to do this. If they did, it would just be outdated again in a few years, and everyone would expect them to update Half-Life one and Half-Life 2 for the new and improved Half-Life 3 engine. ;)

KillaH said:
if you want everything the same go and play the original hl. its about the source engine. the looks of half life 2 on half life 1

I think the idea of HL:S is to get the look of Source, not HL2. HL:S is good for those who didn't play the original HL because they will get HL:S free with HL2 so they will have the opportunity to have the whole HL experience. There is no reasons to put HL2 models in HL if you buy HL2, it would ruin the feel of the original game (a bunch of low poly monsters with some high poly/textured characters).

UndercoverBob said:
HL3 is on source
I would have to assume it will be an improved Source engine,.

Technology is going to continue to improve,. there will be a new shader model, etc,. if HL3 is going to be once again cutting edge, then its going to have much more over HL2 besides higher rez textures and more polys.

HL2 *will* become antiquiated.. so my point still stands.

do you think the HL3 engine will be like the quake engines toatally changeble

HL3 engine will just be an improved "Source"

Sorry to be ignant, but isnt Source really just an improved HL1 engine? (forgot its name). I know its vastly improved, and quite possibly mostly different, but they didn't really start from scratch did they?

The HL engine was a customized Quake engine. Source was build from scratch.

fluke2k?! Son of a b*tch!

With ukfluke, that makes three of us...

Whats that all about?

(fyi, I've been using this handle for about 6 years)

Well i knew the connection between HL and Quake,. didnt realize this was all new tho. I guess VALVe wanted to release themselves from owing anything to iD.

fluke2k said:
The HL engine was a customized Quake engine. Source was build from scratch.

Half-Life 2 wasn't built from scratch, but it isn't based on Half-Life 1 either - it's a (very) modified Havok engine, but very large amounts of it are valve goodness.

The Havok engine is just used for the physics.

I imagine that Source shares a fair bit of code with the HL1 engine but stuff like movement, saving and network code. Stuff that already worked about as well as it was going to before.

JimmehH said:
The Havok engine is just used for the physics.

I imagine that Source shares a fair bit of code with the HL1 engine but stuff like movement, saving and network code. Stuff that already worked about as well as it was going to before.
Actually they redid all the network code too. I'm not sure about the rest.

Yeah, Havok is just physics,. pretty much a plug-in for game engines. Alone it does nothing. The Source engine may use parts, but if Source is not a product of the original HL engine, then I consider that starting fresh.

I suppose if Source really is plyable enough, Valve can just keep updating it and (hopefully) spend a lot more of their time simply creating games rather then reinventing the wheel.

Revamping HL1 media for HL:source would be a good community mod, too bad they are already doing it over at MapCore.

Well textures anyway and probably just for fun rather than to put into HL:source

There are three possibilities. They might use the models from the first HL, which were good, the updated versions from blue shift, or the best ones that came from the PS2 version, which had good facial animation and actually modeled the eyes.

ZoFreX said:
Half-Life 2 wasn't built from scratch, but it isn't based on Half-Life 1 either - it's a (very) modified Havok engine, but very large amounts of it are valve goodness.

You'd better start thinking before you post....

Havok is a physics engine, nothing more. And yes, Source was made from scratch...

Havok is the fysicengine (spelling?)

the HL engine was built out off the Q1 and Q2 engine and Source is built out off the HL engine, right :S

Depends on how you look at it.

The things used from the old HL are as far as i know: the BSP format and the netcode. The BSP format has been revamped and so has the netcode.

So if you look at it like that, if you use those 2 parts are a starting point then Yes, the Source engine is based on the HL engine.

However if you look at it like this: They started making the engine and THEN used the older bits, then you could say it was made from scratch.

Havok is a physics engine which calculates the physics and ragdoll effects for the source engine to display. Havok was created by a different company. Valve bought the Havok engine and implemented it into their engine. So it's 2 engines working together.

UndeadScottsman said:
Then what engine is it based on then? Hmmm?

And Havok is not an FPS engine, by the by. :)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Yes, I'm well aware of what Havok is. :)

As for source, yes it is certainly a brand new engine. However it was not build from scratch. It shares too many similarities with the HL1 engine.

Couldn't we just delete the old scentist/barney models, and import half-life 2 models? The thing that I dont think will work is the voices, but from the info I have read, the half-life source will be running in the half-life 2 source engine.

So essentially, half-life source is like a mod for half-life 2, using the same textures from the original half-life.

Back