Cheat Protection?

N

Nutzack

hi,

i posted on the other hl2 forum, and really didnt get any feedback on this issue...i was curious as to what type of cheat protection hl2 will have to offer? will VAP continue, or will there be a 3rd party invovled?

also, regarding cvars...imho, i would rather play a game that is locked down reasonably well and have solid cheat protection, versus an engine that can be tweaked and explioted like q3. seriously, i dont care about scripting, custom shizzle...i would prefer a game that keeps hacks and work-arounds out.

does anyone have any info on this? thx

edit: spelling dammit

only comfirmed info i can see on anti cheat is this email from gabe

Originally posted by hLABS]tryptefan
1. Has much effort been put into anti-cheat technology, and if so what method was used?
1) Yes. None of your business. (insert smiley face here)

VAC is going to be the main cheat protection system (integrated with steam). Half-life as an engine was poorly designed for preventing cheaters. All recent games are much harder to hack. Half-life 2 will also be much harder to hack (compared with HL1). If someone really wants to hack/cheat, they will find a way. Nothing is cheat proof. Cvars, and aliases are still in Half-life 2 (aliases are even easier to make) so making useful scripts is still possible. The chances that someone will be able to exploit a glitch using scripts are much lower than it was in HL (but still possible).

Ya that's what I heard. Steam is going to be everything behind HL2 as far as online play goes. That's for anti-cheat protection as well.

I'm happy now that Joolz who pioneered the making of cheats has now retired, maybe a few more cheat makers will give up the battle with valve when hl2 comes around.

/me crosses fingers

i know...joolz gone, VAP retired him from what i read...very nice.

It's about time. But I'm sure someone new will step to the plate with HL2.

They still make MetaCheat... not exactly out of business yet.. but slowly losing

If they really wanted to stop cheating they could stop all third party programs like in battle.net. But that would mean HL2 would be less customizeable and less fun.

Originally posted by Nutzack
i know...joolz gone, VAP retired him from what i read...very nice.

What is VAP? Do you mean VAC? VALVE ANTI-CHEAT. And no, VAC didn't retire him. In fact, he wrote a big letter stating how much VAC sucks. VAC did not stop him or his cheats. He just grew up. His cheats still work, VAC doesn't stop them.

Also stop being so naive, people. Cheats have been and will always be around. If you make something to stop the cheat, the cheaters will make a new cheat. Repeat forever. It doesn't help that we are working with a completely insecure crappy OS like Windows to begin with. VAC could be the jesus of anti-cheat, but it can't fix Windows. HL2 will never be completely secure. People will make cheats for it like crazy and will never stop. If one guy gives up, another will start.

my fault...VAC.

Also stop being so naive, people. Cheats have been and will always be around. If you make something to stop the cheat, the cheaters will make a new cheat. Repeat forever.

i am concerned about how aggresive valve will be in providing cheat protection. i read joolz's letter of retirement, and i think it was of the forced variety. if valve keeps this in the forefront of priorities, the multiplayer will be in good shape.

giving joolz's credit for "growing up" is going too far, considering how he has ruined the game for so many.

boy, i cant wait till steam lags me to death with cheat protections and/or any other thingy there useing :D

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
boy, i cant wait till steam lags me to death with cheat protections and/or any other thingy there useing :D

so what would be ur alternative? let the cheaters run freely everywhere? clearly after what we have seen with HL1 and its mods, something really needs to be done.. and if that means a little lag, then so be it.

hell we get lagged thanks to crappy ISP service, crappy servers and <insert other lag reasons here> so a little cheat protection lag won't kill ya.. literally i mean :p

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
so what would be ur alternative? let the cheaters run freely everywhere? clearly after what we have seen with HL1 and its mods, something really needs to be done.. and if that means a little lag, then so be it.

hell we get lagged thanks to crappy ISP service, crappy servers and <insert other lag reasons here> so a little cheat protection lag won't kill ya.. literally i mean :p

lmao, the lag is what makes people look sus :D

Uh no, I think you read the letter wrong. His cheats still work and VAC is completely ineffective against it.

It was NOT of the forced type at all. VAC didn't even come close to stopping his cheat and it still has yet to be stopped.

VAC is obsolete. Cheating Death is more effective than it.

Back