Children in HL2??

yadalogo

Reaction score
Is it me or do i actually se a kid in hl2?? Ive never seen a kid in any pic or footage of hl2, before!

Attachments

• lowtidekidwithbucket.JPG
    lowtidekidwithbucket.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 821
I don't want children in HL2. What happens if you accidently kill a child? I wouldn't feel comfortable about accidently killing a child. Not to mention what Congressmen and various media outlets would say if a computer game allowed such a thing to happen.

weve had this discussion before, and the argument that "the government wouldnt allow a game that has children able to be killed" isnt valid. games have kids that you can kill, deus ex being one of them.

Who cares, when you come down to it, it's just a bunch of coding and a model

kaf11 said:
weve had this discussion before, and the argument that "the government wouldnt allow a game that has children able to be killed" isnt valid. games have kids that you can kill, deus ex being one of them.

well mabey its just some random character u see but cant kill, like the g-man in hl but only not as important of a role!

blahblahblah said:
I don't want children in HL2. What happens if you accidently kill a child? I wouldn't feel comfortable about accidently killing a child. Not to mention what Congressmen and various media outlets would say if a computer game allowed such a thing to happen.

I would grab the manipulator and beat down bad guys with him ;)

I don't see anything wrong with it... although being able to shoot the kid is pretty bad... the sims is WAY worse... it shows them going poo and taking baths... that wacky chris sawyer... what will he come up with next

but you wouldn't be able to anyways because it lowers your gun on friendlies

aeroripper said:

No i believe it only lowers on characters that are important to the storyline.

IE you cant kill alyx in the first level as it would ruin the entire game.

oh... well then don't buy the game or let your kids play it

slap a M sticker on there so you can't complain about relgious types saying its evil and going to kill the world (look around, worse things happen around the world... admit it, humans are sadists inside after you take away the layers)

its just an issue that is going to have to be dealed with because games are just going to get more and more like real life... children are a part of real life so they are there 2

if you draw the line here, why not movies? tv? Release that this game isn't real and if it bothers you that much use the content control provided

:cheers: Yes, I guess there will be children in Half Life 2, it's possible. Don't ask why.

I don't think that's a child. It could just as easily be someone standing further back on the deck and appear shorter from the perspective. Besides, there isn't really any point to adding children to the game unless there is a child that somehow fits into the plot. It terms of gameplay, no purpose for a child except a smaller target.

I am not going to debate if it is indeed a child or not, but I want to go on record saying, that it doesn't really matter. I think children should be in the game and you should be able to kill them. It doesn't mean you have to, but it still should be allowed. The one thing I hate in my video games is PC (political correctness) restrictions. There are hookers in GTA 3, but that doesn't mean i spent 20 minuets banging them all. A game is what you make of it.

Maybe you will only meet kids in the beginning, when you don't have any weapons...

Gahh what does it matter. They are just models. Slightly smaller ones than the regular people who you will sometimes smash their brains out for a laugh.

aeroripper said:
I don't see anything wrong with it... although being able to shoot the kid is pretty bad... the sims is WAY worse... it shows them going poo and taking baths... that wacky chris sawyer... what will he come up with next

Chris sawyer? Don't you mean will wright?

blahblahblah said:
I don't want children in HL2. What happens if you accidently kill a child? I wouldn't feel comfortable about accidently killing a child.

Well, you'd better not use your weapons, then.

alan8325 said:
Besides, there isn't really any point to adding children to the game unless there is a child that somehow fits into the plot. It terms of gameplay, no purpose for a child except a smaller target.

In that case, isn't it pointless to add adult NPCs as well?

People who don't want children in games are in denial of reality.

In that case, isn't it pointless to add adult NPCs as well?

People who don't want children in games are in denial of reality

I don't care if there are children in the game or not, I just don't see a purpose for them gameplay-wise. Clearly, the adult NPCs that we see in the game have a purpose, so no, it isn't pointless to add them. Child NPCs would serve the exact same purpose except they would be smaller.

I think it would add a nice level of realism. It would make a lot of people watch their fire.
I don't have a problem shooting piles of pixels. What does it matter if there are just fewer pixels?

aeroripper said:

Will Wright is the creator of The Sims (along with most of the other Sim game franchises). Chris Sawyer did Roller Coaster Tycoon (along with Transport Tycoon, and another early Tycoon game (before all this Tycoon this that hogwash) that I can't quite remember).

There's propably no kids because there's not a whole lot of people in city 17 to begin with, atleast from the videos, and if not many people are surviving or free then the ones that do are propably mature.

Machiosabre said:
There's propably no kids because there's not a whole lot of people in city 17 to begin with, atleast from the videos, and if not many people are surviving or free then the ones that do are propably mature.
But there are bound to be children in the city, not many but there has to be at least a few. City 17 must have say around 2, 3 thousand inhabitants?
And Omni, that's what I was saying.

Maybe its a midget, but hes really 35?

..I don't know why a kid would be in there though...maybe its just for entertainment?

I don't quite get the whole "OMG there's kids! What if I kill them!!?" idea. No one seems to have any trouble braining barneys or scientist for laughs. If you're worried about being mentally broken, it's too late :)

AJ Rimmer said:
But there are bound to be children in the city, not many but there has to be at least a few. City 17 must have say around 2, 3 thousand inhabitants?
And Omni, that's what I was saying.
a city like c17 has 200000-2000000 inhabitants...but i think most of them already left the city ?!

Sauerkraut said:
a city like c17 has 200000-2000000 inhabitants...but i think most of them already left the city ?!
That's what I meant, the city seems to be the size of stockholm almost but it's been partially abondoned

TST_Devgru Seal said:
Or have been killed by the combine, striders, or have been turned into zombies by headcrabs.
well
if they just left the city..where have did they go? btw i dont think c17 is the only place with aliens on the earth...
if they where killed...where to put 1000000 dead ppl? and why should the combines kill them?

Sauerkraut said:
well
if they just left the city..where have did they go? btw i dont think c17 is the only place with aliens on the earth...
if they where killed...where to put 1000000 dead ppl? and why should the combines kill them?

1. They were relocated
2. The Combine obviously have some technology. Vaporizing '1000000' won't be hard.
3. If you kill a childs father, chances are it will grow up and seek revenge..

I wanna pick up kids with my bare hands!

manipulator anyone?

i mean where is the difference if you can pick up teh rollarmines? :dork:

There will be kids in the game.. atleast thats what i read in a preview (don't know wich one)...
They said that a kid came up to gordon (you), and he said that he used to play there or something...

Lol this game is going to be so sad... i can't imagine a kid walking up to me saying he used to play here, then you see all this rubble and shit. ;/

Well, you can't shoot them... their allies remember... (your weapon goes down)... and besides, this event was in the intro...

i'll try to find the interview/preview... This has been discussed before...

The last thing Valve needs is to have a game that allows you to shoot and kill kids. It would be all over CNN and BBC when they review violent video games and how it makes people homocidal.

More on topic... About that "I used to play here" thing, you have it all wrong.

When some gaming magazine was playing the demo, in the City 17 level, walking around, he saw a young man, not kid, saying "I used to play here" or something. The player proceeded to push the realistic swings and stuff. :) (He was at a small little playground)

EDIT: Bottom line, it was a young man who used to play at that playground when he was a boy. (Before the Combine take-over thingy.)

Might I simply note, that it is likely that there will be children in the game, because of Valve's enfasis on human interaction. A question for you sick freeks who kill something just because its there, Is it the the fault of the bridge that you jumped off it, NO, its your fault. Therefore the headline would be:

SICK MINDED TEENS KILL CHILDREN IN HALF LIFE 2: WHERE IS THERE SENSE OF MORALITY AND SELF CONTROL?

Putting children in a game makes it more real, and killing allies is not what is inteded, if it happens, then it is based on the personal problems of the player. Its not like Valve is lining kids up in a shooting gallery and forcing us to shoot them as part of the game, that would be sick and demented.

It would be fun to kill kids in a game just because it's still such a taboo these days. But hey, you could do all sorts of fun stuff to 'em in Black & White. :devil:

Back