Choice Of Gun For Next Video Tutorial

IchI said:
Ye I nkinda noticed :p I was actually quite lucky to find such a high res image of the weapon. I don't even think its been released yet anyway... I dunno I don't really follow weapons etc... I read something on a forum about it been the new American Army rifle, but people always say that for every single new rifle.

It was recently selected as the new rifle for U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM). SCAR stands for Special (Operation Forces) Combat Assault Rifle.

I suggest you do a nice SMG, maybe an MP5SD, or a Colt 9mm SMG (kinda like a 9mm M4) http://www.colt.com/law/smg.asp

It's not a Glock

The gun from gkanga is v-sweet, it looks like it is from about 20 yrs from now and is better than any gun i've seen in a game!

I still have to make my choice, I might make it in the next couple of days and start development in my time off school (2 weeks study leave).

Oh an L85A2 (SA80 or whatever you brits call it).
You probably know what it looks like, since you are british.

I'd say a nice pretty colt M4.....cliched....but a nice standard weap thats not too hard to model......keep it simple, or maybe a P90 SMG??

Can't wait for the animation part, animation > modelling for me, sorry :p Although I do little modeling, I love love love animating!

Okay for the weapon, I found one page, lots of info and pics, and once you find the weapon I'm sure you could find side/front/perspective pics

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/sr25/sr25.htm (With this, its a sniper, however it is very close looking to a M4 so thus if people wanted they could go off on their own and modify the weapon to make it into a M4... I mean you want people to experiment, if they just copy-cat whatever you do, they won't learn as fast, so this really gives them an oppurtunity to experiment... be sure to mention this in the VTM tho)
sr-25.gif

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/barrett/barrett.htm (kick ass sniper, I'm sure lotsa people would enjoy it, and it could easy replace the AWP IMHO... it is very powerful)
82a1.jpg

Meh 3dbuzz is okay, but it doesn't go indepth at times, and really doesn't help you out in the art of modelling, more like showing you the tools and at times expecting you to do things with them... I mean it's like an artist showing you a paintbrush, then they show you making awesome art, and then they expect you to be able to do some of those things... It's okay in getting the general idea, but not if you want to truly learn it.

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/guide.htm

Lots of other great guns on there, it's organized into categories like SMG's, Rifles, Snipers, Rockets, ETC ETC

I personally think a new sniper would be best, don't see extreme ammounts of those... Plus you could also maybe show how to do that cubemap effect on the lens of the snipers, and truly make it for Source :D :cheers:

An SR25 would be cool, although I think M16 variants are a bit too common.

I was thinking that too, but the thing I was really pushing for was experimenting on their own, not so much how common they are... Because the M4A1 is quite a popular gun in the game, thus if you tell people they could make their own version of it if they experiment, BANG out the door, and into experiment and tweak land to get it going, just for the satisfaction they could have a popular gun modded.

I really think replacement sniper would be a grand idea :)

Incase you havent started yet, you should model a Walther P99 :D

After watching your (awesome) tutorial on the Beretta i started modeling it so... uuh... YEAH! :imu:

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 260
Hmmm, well I started development of the video tutorials but I am always running into problems modelling the FN SCAR-Light I mean... I really like the weapon, but I just don't think its good for video tutorials. I noticed the weapon that Grass just showed and I am thinking about this one, I really want to start the video tutorial proprly tomorrow I am getting sick of setbacks. I badly need a new weapon. I might go with the one grass posted, it would also be an excilent weapon for normal mapping.

Hi, I'm pretty much a noob here and I'm learning to model by tutorials. I'm looking forward to making some models for HL2.

Anyway, IchI, just incase you haven't decided maybe a Spectre M4 perhaps?
S39.jpg

:\ go with the f2000 bro, would be more helpful imo. another pistol? boorrinnggg... the modeling part wouldn't teach anyone anything new, it'd be just a rehash.

yes, but a lot of people need to be shown that before they get it through their heads.

This video tutorial is not about just making a pistol at all, infact the modelling part will be the smallest. I am only doing this so I can also do a unwrapping, texturing and animation video tutorials along with it. So stop complaining. If you think its boring then don't watch it. I am making them for free after all. This is mainly be made/remade because the Nerve website will be up soon (games development website) and the b9000 video tutorial just isn't good enough for the website. simple.

Why the hell have I got 4 warnings? I didn't do anything?

didn't mean to antagonize.. just trying to point out what might be most helpful to some people, but if you don't have the time, i don't really care i guess, because ill be watching them for the parts you just mentioned.

pr1est said:
didn't mean to antagonize.. just trying to point out what might be most helpful to some people, but if you don't have the time, i don't really care i guess, because ill be watching them for the parts you just mentioned.

ye sorry, i went off a little. I am in a bad mood, as usual :p

hey man either way i really enjoyed ur baretta video and i cant wait for this one. ive really been wanting to learn how to texture.

Well, I have started the video tutorial I am about 100minutes into it and I have managed to get 1/2 of the model finished. It started of quite slow since I need to take into acount newbies but after I have explained a lot of the basic stuff it begins to move faster.

Cool :) Good luck with the rest of the video!

Incase you decided to model the P99 I got a lot of reference images at home (I'm at school now :sleep: )
I had some trouble getting a good view of the bullet ejection... hole( ?). but found some nice onces.

If you're modeling something else or dont need more, nevermind me ;(

Grass said:
Cool :) Good luck with the rest of the video!

Incase you decided to model the P99 I got a lot of reference images at home (I'm at school now :sleep: )
I had some trouble getting a good view of the bullet ejection... hole( ?). but found some nice onces.

If you're modeling something else or dont need more, nevermind me ;(

ye that could be helpful. Add me to msn [email protected] make sure you explain who you are or I will proberly end up deleting you.

Back