choppy now?

Tyguy

Space Core
Reaction score
I stopped playing hl2 for a while and i tried today and its too choppy to play....I uninstalled all my other games, reinstalled the windows updates, and even installed the game again. I never had this problem, ayone have a clue?

pentium 4
512 RAM
2.0 ghz
Radeon 9600 Pro

thanks

Well it could be a great number of things.

To begin with, maybe you changed your video settings to something more demanding.

come on, im a little smarter than that .......anything else?

Alright alright...you were really vague.

Well if you want something smarter:

Make sure your graphics card is working as specified: eg. operating at the proper clock speed, operating at an 8x AGP transfer speed, etc.

edit: Oh and moreover, you should make sure you have the proper drivers installed. Being an NVidia user, I don't know much about Catalyst or any of the other ATI drivers except that they can be giant pains in the ass.

Turn your texture settings from High to Medium, and turned off any AA or AF. That usually solves a large portion of the stuttering.

my setting are all medium or low, and those are both off, I even played in window mode with teh same problem......whenever I get to a point where there alot of action, it goes choppy and stays that way even if im in a small room......People are telling me to buy more ram, but Im not gonna spend the money if its a problem with my computer or video card.....If anyone has had this problem,, please let me know

Thanks

Save your pennies and upgrade your graphics card.

I'm not sure what could be causing the problems tbh, I have a machine with a similar spec, and I don't see any of the stuttering you're referring to. Have you dropped the resolution to 800 x 600 to see if this improves performance? Perhaps even turn down the sound settings. It could also be the famous stuttering bug whioch is caused by the auto save routine built-in to HL2, although I thought this had been fixed :(

I tried playing with the lowest setting possible and it still is as choppy as if it was on the high settings....the only thinkg i can think of is I reformatied a little while ago and havent palyed since........i updated my video card drivers, anything else needed?

i have service pack 2 and everything.......

do u have latest sound card drivers and motherboard drivers and bios?

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php#download

Download that utility and go to the 'Mainboard' tab and make sure that the AGP is working as it should be. A similar problem just happened with my friend whose motherboard keeps making his 9800 Pro use 2x AGP, and everything is extremely choppy for him.

There are a few commands i know that reduce the choppiness but as a result the sound becomes out of sync. I'm afraid i can't think of them right off the top of my head but one command that could really help you (which wont alter the sound either) is mat_forcetextureintohardware 1 or something along those lines. I really wish i knew the actual command, but if you enable the console and type something along those lines a command line similar to that should pop up in the drop down window below the console. If you get me.

anyway, turning this on/off should help some of the stuttering/choppiness. Let us know if that helps at all.

Back