Chrome effect

Sanada

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a sort of chrome effect for some pipes I'm making but I can't get it the way I want it (if it's even possible).

pipes6di.jpg

ATM, it's ok but could be better. I'm trying to make an effect like this:

http://www.extrel.com/cms/program/image/Pipes and Tanks Loe res.jpg

My VMT:
Code:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models/props_pipes/gaspipe01_chrome"
	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
	"$bumpmap" "models/props_pipes/gaspipe01_normal"
	"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
	"$envmapcontrast" 0.5
	"$envmapsaturation" 0.8
	"$envmaptint" "[ 0.38 0.38 0.42 ]"
}

I don't really know what I can do to get the effect I need. I've looked for models in HL2/CSS that use a similar effect. The closes I've got to is the hand bars you see in the train at the start of HL2. They're a bit to shiny, though I might see if you can tone it done.

It's most likely the base texture. ATM, I'm just using a basic metal texture I made in PS but I don't know how I should make it.

You should be able to at least approximate that using the environmental reflection mapping, ie. the envmap vmt commands.

First thing I'd try is increasing the $envmaptint values, as that will increase the general amount of reflection. Increasing $envmapcontrast nearer to 1 should move the reflections from reflecting the world like a mirror to more contrasted light/dark reflections. Lowering $envmapsaturation towards 0 should make the reflection more greyed instead of coloured.

Cool, changing those settings made it better. Thanks. :)

I think with a better diffuse map it should look better too.

could you maybe post a pic of what it looks like now? i've never been able to get a decent chrome in hl myself

pipe9lf.jpg

That's what it looks like now. Not great but I can't get it any better. I'll have to keep trying different diffuse maps to see which one works best.

There is another chrome effect but it's a bit too much for what I need. I might try and lower the specular to see what it'd look like on my pipe.

Here's an example of it:

barchrome4qx.jpg

You could just paint the chrome as a base texture then define a 50% reflection in the vmt. Also the result will look better if you put your object in a real map, so the environment can be reflected. I made pipes similar to your for CS 1.6 by using only a diffuse texture and it looked good. Search the net for good reference pictures, take em as a base and modify them in photoshop to get the desired result.

Back