City 1

Lanthanide said:
Actually no. Reading some of the magazine reviews they refer to the combine forces as "The combine overwatch". I believe "combine" refers to a political/economic group of organisations allied for a common goal (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=combine).
Also, I don't think many people still believe that the combine/striders are biotech.
I think there are a number of reasons to believe the combine are "bio-tech":

1.) The Combine forces use biomechanical weapons such as the Gunship and Strider. If you want to dispute this just check out the concept art for the Dropship.

2.) Combine soldiers have scratchy, metallic voices.

3.) The name - "Combine" (although, yes this is open to interpretation)

4.) The nature of the Citadel that is eating away at the city, and the brief glimpses we've been granted of some sort of combine factory.

5.) Breen's 'faustian' promise of immortality for the human race.

6.) Gabe said Breen and the Resistance fighters were just reacting in a different way to the same 'problem'. I think it's clear that this involves more than just petty politics.

Lanthanide said:
It has been revealed in the magazine reviews that City 17 is where Breen lives, and Breen's the governer of the planet - so if anything, city 17 would have been the first city to be touched by the combine.

Bullplop...when u capture a continent u put your leader in the middle, not on the outskirts, this way when they reach "city 1", your governmental leader isn't gonna be wiped out straight away. Instead the opposition has to conquer 16 other regions b4 they can get to him. So what you said makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the guy (cadaveca) who keeps making references to that real city 17 with the russian subs and all. Now that's a theory! Well researched and well defined.

Spot on mate.

Is City17 if located in Russia, why do everybody talks in English to eachother?? Wont it be more realistic if they all talk russian?

Dr Kleiner, Alyx <- seems to me like like some german names..

I find it difficult to belive why gordon is suddently in around in Europe, though Hl1 where taking place in America.. hopely whe get answers to all this playing hl2...

city 1 is actually
totally irrelevant and probably won't appear in the game
and that makes city 17
the city in which half-life 2 takes place

Hope this helps.

I heard on idea why and what the cities were made for that seemed decent. I don't think it's too great.

Perhaps the cities are first built as research sites in places where there have been signs of Xen life or portal fulxuations. Hence, City 1 would be built at Black Mesa. The next location where something showed up, Xen life form or even a slight demensional flux, would be where the next city would be built.

The cities were originally just set up for research, but began to slowly develop because of the increasing ammount of workers and their families. When Xen creatures began showing up all over the globe, people fell back to areas that already knew about the creatures and had some basic defense plan.

I'm not sure I liked the idea about another thing being built where Black Mesa was, seems like a dumb move...

I'm sure Laidlaw did the name for a reason, which we'll probably find out sooner or later :X

SMEGHaMMeR said:
Bullplop...when u capture a continent u put your leader in the middle, not on the outskirts, this way when they reach "city 1", your governmental leader isn't gonna be wiped out straight away. Instead the opposition has to conquer 16 other regions b4 they can get to him. So what you said makes no sense whatsoever.
No. When you capture a new continent, you put your leader in the first city that you capture. Generally when you invade via water you will end up on a coast, so your first city will be a coastal city. Furthermore, if you came from space, it would be stupid to land in the center of a continent because then you'd be completely surrounded.

You may move your leader later if required, but if you put a lot of effort into the first city you capture and make a big defensive base their (ie, the citadel) then you'll probably want to keep your leader there. Depends on the logistics of things such as communications, but I'd imagine the combine would have fairly good means of communications, so this shouldn't really be an issue.

And who exactly are you defending yourself from? The defending populace? In which case it would make more sense to have your 'leader' on the edge of the continent, because any attacks will come from the center of the continent, thus having to go through your forward lines of 'other regions' as you put it.

So sorry, what -you- said makes no sense.

hmm, i see what your sayin. However i don't agree with what u said about my idea making sense. I think if u ask any general he'll say what i said made perfect sense.

However i don't think you're wrong, i think we should agree to disagree as both situations could work.

Anyway this thread is about city 1 so why i even intervened in the first place would make no sense, compared to my theory about strategical which makes absolute sense. As does yours, so bog off..so to speak. :p

SMEGHaMMeR said:
Anyway this thread is about city 1
Well at this moment it seems to be a discussion about all kinds of things concerning the Cities controlled by the combine (that was my intention in the first place, by making a starttopic that can be interpreted in various ways).
I think its coming along quite nice :smoking:

daniom said:
Is City17 if located in Russia, why do everybody talks in English to eachother?? Wont it be more realistic if they all talk russian?

Dr Kleiner, Alyx <- seems to me like like some german names..

I find it difficult to belive why gordon is suddently in around in Europe, though Hl1 where taking place in America.. hopely whe get answers to all this playing hl2...
Hah, good point. Yeah it'd be more realistic if the civilians spoke the native language, but they wont use it much: the combine command them in english, Breen adresses them in english and this bearded man with the geek glasses speaks english to them.
The only time they would speak russian of whatever is when they are speaking to eachother, wich I havent seen them do in any of the binks.

Why is it difficult to believe Gordon is in europe? He works for the gman, i'm sure he can arrange some kind of transport.

wtf, has it not occured to you that maybe they are speaking russian? And what would be the point of that if english peeps couldn't understand?

Therefore they speak russian, but you hear it in english..hows that ?
Valve took a leaf out of hitchhikers and fitted everyone with a virtual babel fish.

=/

They speak Russian?

Wasn't the game scenery aspired by some city in Czech Republic?

also just found this on the hl2 PHP thingy.

When u enter pirate, u get: Yarrrrr, Matey! In Soviet Russia, game plays you!

Which i think has a nice russia/coastline/sailor/submarine feel to it. Coincidence?

SMEGHaMMeR said:
also just found this on the hl2 PHP thingy.

When u enter pirate, u get: Yarrrrr, Matey! In Soviet Russia, game plays you!

Which i think has a nice russia/coastline/sailor/submarine feel to it. Coincidence?

Well, Pirates say "Yarrrr, Matey," and the Soviet Russia thing is a play off of Yakov Smirnof's (sp?) standup comedy. He would take simple things and then reverse them for Soviet Russia.

Clavius said:
I've been pondering over this for a very-very long time.
What is a City 17? Why would anyone call a city City 17?

Just a thougt :|

In communist countries, they probably would mate - each police station is simply called Police Station 1, 2 and 3 etc as are schools, hospitals etc.

Remember that checneyan rebel thing in the school? That was School Number 1.

Back