City 17 is on the east shore of the Baltic Sea

Randomner said:
...I never said Black Mesa wasn't in Southeast USA. I only said that both Black Mesa and Black Mesa East are located in the US.

Black Mesa East is a part of the original Black Mesa from the first Half-Life. Black Mesa was never completely destroyed due to its size as I said here:

Your so wrong about this. It's not debatable.. you have to be one of two people on the board who haven't been clued in yet.. Please don't reply to this. Just do your homework and be an intelligent poster.

I was just thinking that Black Mesa East would be too difficult to build

Easy. its located in a run down Hydro power planet, and they jsut sat in there, gatherign research etc un distrurbed.

Also, Eli CLEARY says "Its not Black mesa...but its served us well enough..."

Not that he was talking about the actual building but there you go...

Pai-Mei said:
Fine. You wanna play the quote game.

The quotes were to prove what I said.

Pai-Mei said:
Wait. I thought we went over that the original Black Mesa was in Arizona someplace.

I said like Arizona. Not in Arizona.

Randomner said:
I imagine a temperature like that would occur in places like Arizona, US.

As a reply to that, someone said:

furiousV said:
Black Mesa Research Facility was in New Mexico, and they were using Farenheit on the train ride.

Pai-Mei said:
The landscape around City 17, and Black Mesa East, for that matter, doesn't look a damn thing like Arizona... it's right on an ocean... or at least a major body of water.

There were a few parts around City 17 that had looked a lot like a massive desert connected to the beach. That massive desert also had canyons nearby. In addition, when Gordon Freeman was first put through the teleportation device found in the lab where Alyx Vance takes him to when he first meets her, he was temporarily teleported to a desert with Lamar. Since most of the places Gordon was sent to was near the place he started, the desert could've also been nearby. What I saw from City 17 were either parts of a city that weren't destroyed, parts of a city that were destroyed, and the rest were grasslands with lack of trees. I didn't see much of forests and large mountains like what would be expected from a place in northern Europe. City 17 could have been a cities near el Rio Grande. El Rio Grande runs through New Mexico. Gordon does a lot of traveling, he may have taken some lakes and rivers through New Mexico and into south-eastern Texas where the Gulf of Mexico lies.

Pai-Mei said:
Last I checked, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada are all landlocked... so Black Mesa would have to be the size of a small country to cover that much area.

Black Mesa didn't have to be the size of a small country. It may have been the size of a small city. It could've been located in southern Nex Mexico near northern Texas. From there, Gordon only had to leave Black Mesa, and taken rivers and lakes to reach where City 17 would've been.

Pai-Mei said:
As far as it being in the US is concerned, maybe it is. But somehow, cities in the US started adopting the Cyrrillic alphabet and whatnot, as well as a very Eastern Europesque style architecture. Lets face it... it doesn't exactly look like New York City. Or any American city, for that matter.

I wasn't saying City 17 would be New York City, I was saying it could've been a city in Texas. Cities in Texas don't look at all like New York City. Also, Los Angeles has all types of languages written on it. Korea Town, for example, has both Korean and Spanish writing on the buildings. Hollywood is more Armenian and Russian. Actually, the buildings in Los Angeles look a lot alike, and they also look a lot like those of City 17. Not only that, but there are also mixtures of different building architectures. There is a church in Korea Town that looks as plain and gray as any other building, while there is another church right across the street that looks like something from medieval northern Europe. City 17 could've been in a city like Los Angeles, farther more downward to Texas, though.

Pai-Mei said:
So what you're saying is that they fuc|<in airlifted a cubic mile worth of Black Mesa over to some other place near the Ocean?

It didn't have to be. Black Mesa was always in the same place it has always been.

Pai-Mei said:
The way I see it is that Black Mesa East really isn't all that advanced. It looks something like an abandoned quarry mineshaft-turned Laboratory. Theres a few cots, a kitchen, some electrical pipes, and a little bit of small, jury rigged, experimental machinery. There's no huge antimass spectrometers taking up the whole room, no gigantic generators, no huge ass lasers, no retinal scanners... the equipment is small enough that it wouldn't be hard to smuggle even in City 17, especially back when security was probably a lot lower. I mean, come on, they're got a damn Vortigaunt powering one of the pieces of equipment! This is simply NOT BMRF quality and I see no evidence that it is part of the original BMRF other than the name, which I think is just an honorary title.

The original Black Mesa was badly destroyed. The reason Black Mesa East looked that way was because the eastern part of the original Black Mesa had to be reconstructed.

Duncan said:
I don't think it's in America- the archetecture screams Eastern Europe, so do the cars.

There weren't that many cars in Half-Life, and even when there were, they were badly damaged. Not only that, but several cars looked the same.

NJspeed said:
As for people saying Black Mesa East is in the United States, your totally wrong.. I mean your just WRONG, theres nothing to argue about... It's an established fact that this game takes place in Europe, so if you want to debate that, start a new thread or go to another one please. This thread is for anyone who has new information or clues as to where in Europe the game takes place.. It's already established the game takes place in eastern Europe.. (probably near the Baltic)

I almost want this thread to die because we are just soo off topic.

When I saw this thread I though, why Europe? So, I had to post that I thought everything was on the US. After I saw that people didn't get my first post, I had to elaborate. I don't think this thread is off-topic because this is a discussion. There's suppose to be an argument against the topic. Then there's suppose to be a counter-argument. My argument is that City 17, Black Mesa, and all of the other places in Half-Life are in the US. Like you said, this is a discussion. None of that, "its a game" posts. Notice how much effort I'm putting into my posts.

NJspeed said:
Your so wrong about this. It's not debatable.. you have to be one of two people on the board who haven't been clued in yet.. Please don't reply to this. Just do your homework and be an intelligent poster.

Be an intelligent poster? How am I not an intelligent poster? I haven't even used any curse words or acronyms like "WTF" "OMG" and "LOL" and I haven't even used exclamation marks. I've written long, arguments. How am I not different from everybody else you've complained about how they post one-line messages stating the obvious? In fact, I may be stating the exact obvious.

Samon said:
Easy. its located in a run down Hydro power planet, and they jsut sat in there, gatherign research etc un distrurbed.

Also, Eli CLEARY says "Its not Black mesa...but its served us well enough..."

Not that he was talking about the actual building but there you go...

I remember that quote, and I always thought that what he meant was that Black Mesa had to be rebuilt. So, because the original Black Mesa was so utterly destroyed, they had to make a new one out of what was already left.

El Rio Grande runs through New Mexico. Gordon does a lot of traveling, he may have taken some lakes and rivers through New Mexico and into south-eastern Texas where the Gulf of Mexico lies.

First of all, if you look at the map in the openning room of the original HL, (where Barney lost all his files), it looks to me like BMRF is a lot more northernwest than southeast New Mexico... in fact it looks to me like it is in Nevada somewhere, (even though the manual states that it is in New Mexico), in which case the closest ocean would be the Pacific... in which case Eli's lab would actually WEST of the original BMRF and nor be called Black Mesa East.

And even if BMRF is in the most southern, eastern part of, New Mexico, the Gulf of Mexico is almost close to 1000 miles... if not more. There's no way Gordon covered that kind of ground on foot, Buggy, or Airboat. Thus if City 17 is, say, within 10 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, then it is 1000 miles from BMRF and nowhere near the original Black Mesa.

Anyway, we all know that City 17 was at the very least, designed and modelled after an Eastern European city... the architecture to the "political climate" to the streets, to the cars, to the Train Station to... everything.

NJspeed said:

Dude, you need to stop telling people not to reply to this thread. This is a discussion board and as such people are free to post wherever and whatever they like as long as they obey the rules of the forum. You may not agree with this guy, but he certainly has a right to post. Just because you started the topic doesn't make you king among kings.

Originally posted by Ditto
You may not agree with this guy, but he certainly has a right to post. Just because you started the topic doesn't make you king among kings.

Ditto.

Its his own opinion, and like everyone else he has a right to post it.

These things we know.

-Black Mesa (original) was located in the USA.
-Black Mesa East was/is located in eastern europe.
-BME being in the USA is about as plausable as Gman being a genetically modified bar of cheerios, with a briefcase, bad larynx and suit which has in fact fooled us into thinking that he moves, talks and manipulates our perceptions of time and space.
-City 17, Ravenholme, and Nova Prospekt are all close (give or take a few miles, gordons path is not exactly straight).
Alyx says :

"[nova prospekt] used to be a high security prison... its something much worse now..."

SO Nova Prospekt was ALWAYS called Nova Prospekt, how many prisons are there with russian-ish names in the USA?
Same applies to Ravenholme.
Father Gregory has eastern accent, he has always lived in/near Ravenholme; "tend my flock" etc.

Therefore, these places must be in eastern europe.

-"Baltic cafe" (this may not mean a thing, mind)
-Eastern architecture (museum, streets)
-Horse statue (famous concept in Eastern europe, representing freedom)
-all the Eastern languages, on buildings, most likely written BEFORE events of hl1.
-we can guess NORMAL headcrabs are transported into most of USA (or at very least the area around black mesa, but that is too much of a coincidence) during Portal storms.
-the Newspapers with the pictures of the destroyed UN buildings, if this was america, the papers would give the american monuments, white house, cities etc priority of news.
-BME cant be a former Black Mesa section that remained undamaged, Dr Breen, as administrator, would know about it, and would send small combine patrols to secure the technology there.
-HL2 was originally going to take place in Antarctica, why on earth would they go back to USA?
-the fact that BME has EAST in it is an obvious pointer.

The only way that BME could be in USA is if the entirety of hl2 is an elaborate set up by the combine, who decided to go to extraordinary lengths in recreating eastern architecture to make this one man believe that he is in Europe.

NOTE: i will agree that this is a discussion, but this was discussed and sorted well before hl2 was released on virtually every hl2 forum in existence, and has been discussed at halflife2.net at least 3 times.

I can tell that you're all not even completely reading my posts anymore especially since I have six points and I would not know anything about anything including but not limited to knowing that Half-Life 2 taking place in Europe even though there has not even been any official statement from the makers of this game that says Half-Life 2 does in fact take place in Europe so now I am just going to stop posting in these forums like what I should have continued doing since I signed up to this last year. Keep looking for City 17 in Europe.

Randomner said:
I can tell that you're all not even completely reading my posts anymore especially since I have six points and I would not know anything about anything including but not limited to knowing that Half-Life 2 taking place in Europe even though there has not even been any official statement from the makers of this game that says Half-Life 2 does in fact take place in Europe so now I am just going to stop posting in these forums like what I should have continued doing since I signed up to this last year. Keep looking for City 17 in Europe.

http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/july03/halflife2/

Eastern European city called City 17. Doug Lombardi doesn't say otherwise.

And another with Gabe Newell.

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=14716

A whole bunch more are out there.

Black Mesa is in New Mexico. In Blue Shift, when Barney and the others port out of Black Mesa, you end up at the end of a tunnel, at the top of which says something like "BLACK MESA, NEW MEXICO - 4 MILES"

looks to me like your all getting sidetracked by arguing something thats pretty obvious - 'City 17 is somewhere in Eastern Europe' to quote Valve, and 'takes place serveral decades after Black Mesa' (HL1), so therefore a little logic would suggest that after Black mesa the team traveled from the Black Mesa complex in the USA to the Combine Headquarters in City 17 in Eastern Europe to more directly confront the threat and Dr. Breen, therfore to get back to the original point -> where in Eastern Europe would it be?

perhaps this map will help -> http://www.rec.org/REC/Maps/eur_map.html

seems to me Latvia or Estonia would be likely but if it's the East coast then it would have to be Sweden which isn't actually Eastern Europe it's Northern Europe, the blue'ish bit between Lithuania and Poland is Russian territory BTW.

Well, everyone in HL2 does speak English...

'cept for that brit, he was speakin some foreign alien language.

"Okay, ah gerdon! Heer, take this heer rahket luncher!"

NJspeed said:

DarkStar said:
Dude, you need to stop telling people not to reply to this thread. This is a discussion board and as such people are free to post wherever and whatever they like as long as they obey the rules of the forum. You may not agree with this guy, but he certainly has a right to post. Just because you started the topic doesn't make you king among kings.

Nah I have no personal problem with the people that are posting here. What makes me annoyed is that this topic is about a very specific subject. Yet from the first reply, it's been flamed and ridiculed. First we got two guys arguing about nothing. Then we have this genius come in. This thread wasn't meant to be a forum for one person to debate his view that City 17 is in the southwest United States! I don't apologize at all, the direction this discussion has taken is just dumb and I have the right to say so.. everyone knows City 17 is in Europe. The End. I''ve tried being polite. You want to discuss it being on the Baltic? Post here. You want to start a whole new conspiracy theory that it's in Nevada or Arizona? Start a new thread.

Randomner said:
Keep looking for City 17 in Europe.

Ok you keep looking for it in the desert? Mmm k? Maybe in your world it is, but this is a thread about it being on the Baltic.

Ok, here's my view on the location of C17.

1. "Cafe Baltic". Note that this is just a name, it doesn't mean that C17 is in the Baltic region. We have something like Little India here in Sydney, and Sydney isn't in India.
2. The gaspumps are in Swedish. "Summa" "Kron" "Volym" etc.
3. We see Cyrillic text on buildings and graffiti.
4. We see English text on buildings, graffiti and posters.
5. There is a huge horse statue (like in St. Petersburg).
6. The name New Little Odessa must come from the Ukranian town Odessa. Odessa was probably destroyed in the 7 Hours War, so thus New Little Odessa.
7. Everyone speaks English (Grigori and Cubbage having an accent). And, of course, there are the Vorts who can speak their own language, but they're Xenian so you can't really count them.
8. C17 is pretty much on the coast, therefore it's not an inland city (e.g. Berlin).
9. Valve themself confirmed that C17 is in Eastern Europe.
10. The buildings are Eastern European. They were based off buildings from Romania and Bulgaria, because Viktor Antonov himself (the guy that designed the buildings) is from Bulgaria, I beleive.
11. The smashed cars we see littering the streets have been identified as old Russian models.
12. "Nova Prospekt" sounds Russian, and I beleive it's been translated to New Prospect/Avenue, or something like that.
13. Black Mesa East hints that C17 is in Eastern Europe, and no, Black Mesa East is not a part of the original Black Mesa, as many think.
14. A lot of the street signs (especially on the coast) are in Romanian.
15. There are a lot of secret cities in Russia named City # (e.g. City 14, City 8, City 26 etc).
16. The main street of St. Petersburg is called Nevsky Prospekt (ring any bells?).
17. That's all I can think of right now. :)

So as you can see from all those points, it doesn't look like C17 has a fixed location, as many of the points lead us to either Romania/Bulgaria, the Baltic Region or Russia. It might be possible that C17 is very multicultural, and people simply brought their traditions to it from all over Europe, and no, I don't mean people dragging gas pumps from Sweden or something like that. I mean that new objects created were created in the language/architecture of the people that created them.

JavaByte said:
seems to me Latvia or Estonia would be likely but if it's the East coast then it would have to be Sweden which isn't actually Eastern Europe it's Northern Europe, the blue'ish bit between Lithuania and Poland is Russian territory BTW.

Yeah again latvia!!! Go latvia, Go latvia!!! :thumbs: :farmer:

Back