Clarification and Doom 3 opinion

Dr.Spock

Reaction score
So as of august 6th 04.
Half-life 2 is still due out around sept.
Cs:Source Beta should begin soon
No more hl2 pre-views according to what I heard.
Everything is just bug testing now.

Not flaming valve or anything just want to know if the above is the case.

Also I never wanted Doom 3 since its not my style but for those of you who did want it, did you get what they promised you or less than you imagined?

All true, yep.

Except Valve said that the game should be bug-free right about now. :)
Testing ought to be wrapping up.

Now I'll turn the mic over to Carmack...

even tho this isn't the right sectino i really am enjoying Doom 3, the feelings you go thru when you really get into the game is amazing. the atmosphere is the greatest i have and probly will ever play. Doom 3 will deffinitly be the engine to take us into the next generation of graphics as will the Source engine and eventually U3 engine.

it might be bug free now who knows. valve just hasn't told us it is bug free.

Doom 3 for me was better then I thought it would be, very frightening.

Half-Life 2 status : SNAFU

Doom 3 opinion : I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Doom 3 experience. I'm almost in a state of depression right now and quickly losing faith in the entire FPS genre as a whole after finishing the game. :)

commando said:
it might be bug free now who knows. valve just hasn't told us it is bug free.

They said August 5, so that means that they have finished or are finishing, if everything is going according to plan.

Mr-Fusion said:

Doom 3 opinion : I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Doom 3 experience. I'm almost in a state of depression right now and quickly losing faith in the entire FPS genre as a whole after finishing the game. :)

yeah but your a HL2 fanboy there for your opinion becomes invalid :cheers:

Yea no more previews, no pics or movies either (from what Ive heard, not sure if thats totally true since greg posted pics earlier).

I got what I expected out of Doom 3. I expected a horror game lacking in innovation but still well done, one of the best FPSs out there right now IMO.

Mechagodzilla said:
They said August 5, so that means that they have finished or are finishing, if everything is going according to plan.
did they actually SAY August 5th bug free?

if they did... Well it is August 5th now so they might JUST be finishing and going to say it is bug free later today or even tomorrow.

Yea they did say the 5th, but I doubt they are done. Id say they will be done in maybe..4 or 5 more days.

Half-Life (2) needs to come out on September 30th just so VALVe can say "Haha, we meant Sept 30th 2004!! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!!"

Mr-Fusion said:

why m8 ? :eek:

Dr.Spock said:
Also I never wanted Doom 3 since its not my style but for those of you who did want it, did you get what they promised you or less than you imagined?

It was a lot more than I expected, way better than I thought it would be in every area.

Pitbul said:
yeah but your a HL2 fanboy there for your opinion becomes invalid :cheers:
Fanboy, no. Gamer with very high expectation, yes. I honestly tried to enjoy Doom 3 but it's just enforced my old opinion that iD software lack the ability to give ME a game I will enjoy. I won't be buying any of their products again.

/me places id software on the "game companies to be avoided list", they can take a nice spot underneath 3drealms - George Broussard, die listing

To be more specific.
-The premise to the story was great
-Animations were great
-Sounds were great
-Levels are the most detailed and immersive i've ever seen in a game
-Some of PDA messages were really good
-Gameplay was repetitive and added absolutely nothing new to the FPS experience.
-The games scare factor was so 1-dimensional i'm now crying. 4 years of thinking about how to scare us and the best they could come up with was monsters spawning in from nowhere jumping at you and magic walls opening...where monsters jump at you. The scariness of that wears off so very quickly.
-The ending was tripe as expected
-AI is ridiculously stupid

The one thing Doom 3 tried to do, which is to scare people, didn't work for me.

DooM 1 & 2 were great games in my opinion. There was nothing better than just blasting everything that moved. Brainless action.

With DooM 3 id attempted to venture into an area that I don't think really suited the DooM series. They kept the core DooM gameplay (i.e. Blast everything) but changed the environments in such a way that made that type of gameplay awkward and tedious.

Personally I would have preferred the old DooM environments on graphics as good as HL2's (i.e. wide area's). These ultra realistic graphics are too much of a restriction on DooM's core gameplay.

All i hear from people who say they didn't like doom 3 is that they were *expecting* something different... how about appreciate it for what it is? It's a beautifully made game, in every regard. iD did what they set out to do, not what you wanted them to do.

I've been playing it alot today and holy crap i've never been so frightened in a game before... so so frightened. I stopped playing because i couldn't take the intensity anymore =)

Scares don't only include monsters jumping out at you... they include the ****ing weirdness of the invasion, the scary sounds, weird visions, even the cutscenes add to it (which alot of people seem to dislike). Such a tight package of a game... oh yeah and the SOUND! Oh my god. i've never heard such good sound in a game, honestly... the only sounds which are a tiny bit weak are a couple of the monster ones, but the guns, atmosphere, voice acting... first class.

Hmmm halflife 2, now that's the game i'm reaaaally holding on for... I can't wait, and it's only a month and a bit away!

I guess after a year of Doom 3 versus Half-Life 2 threads, people actually began to expect something on par with HL2.

Mr-Fusion said:

I've lost faith in the fps genre a couple of years ago...

Doom3:
Ive reached level 6, and I must say I think ive seen the best D3 can offer.
It's not that much, but it's ok, it's not under my expectations, simply because I didnt expect much of it.

Sound: Some nice fx, but they tend to become repetitive + music is not used well enough to build up the atmosphere.
6/10

Graphics: Surprisingly nice, not to much fluo colors, and some nice designing but some effects seem overdone.
9/10

Gameplay: The movement engine feels good enough, but the way you walk through the game made my heart bleed once again. The AI generally sucks. Still there's something about D3 that makes me wonna give it a 7/10 for gameplay.

mortiz said:
These ultra realistic graphics are too much of a restriction on DooM's core gameplay.
One of the most intelligent comments i've read concerning Doom 3.

but yes,yes, and yes and yes. then some yes, but good still. good.

as far as i can figure out . john carmack made an engine designed to look excellent. but in doing so all the other elements that make a game where taken away

what i can't understand is that during the dev time why didn't any one go.. hmm this feels repetitive and stale.
if you watch some interviews about the game from the team they don't really sound fully convinced that its scary. lol

think about it. we are in a new gen of gaming and bringing something so old feeling in gameplay is just disheartening.. ... . its just like the matrix series all over again. such a beautiful concept and potential and all you get is crappola with a heafty price tag..

doom 3 is dissappointing because its SHOULD have been Revolutionary. if you pick AAA titles games they can't be so so.. who ever says that the entire package kicks ass is not a serious gamer ..

and as a consumer it is your RIGHT to expect MORE MORE and MORe from something with potential... and since D3 didn't meet that. i wonder if HL 2 will manage.. if you look at the interviews of HL2 with a sense of hindsight.. hl 2 may just be average.. which is sad and may be true.

mortiz said:
Personally I would have preferred the old DooM environments on graphics as good as HL2's (i.e. wide area's). These ultra realistic graphics are too much of a restriction on DooM's core gameplay.

Exactly. They should have made a non-doom game with this engine first, then two years later, when everyone has more powerful systems, use the same tech to pump hordes of monsters at the screen in big areas.

As for Doom 3,
-Gameplay was repetitive and added absolutely nothing new to the FPS experience.
-The games scare factor was so 1-dimensional i'm now crying. 4 years of thinking about how to scare us and the best they could come up with was monsters spawning in from nowhere jumping at you and magic walls opening...where monsters jump at you. The scariness of that wears off so very quickly.
-The ending was tripe as expected
-AI is ridiculously stupid

Quoted for truth. However, it does make my heart beat a little faster, and I think it was worth the $59.25 I paid for it. Yeah... that much.

no other game has forced me to hug the walls as i entered the room, because i am too scared to walk into the middle. then of course the walls lose their safety value when they tend to open up behind you.

then there's the parts of the game where nothing attacks you or you are required to walk out into the open where you KNOW something is gonna happen.

then there the creepy red flashes, the voices in your head, and those damn pinky demons.

No, i believe this game is exactly what i was hoping for, my only complaint is that punching a barrel blows it up and smacking corpses with a flashlight once will shear the flesh off the corpse. aside from those minor details i love this game.

Furthermore i thought i was jaded when it came to fps games and horror stuff. seeing as how i have played most FPS games since the original halflife and have done some retro gaming too and have been exposed to a large number of crazy scary asian horror movies. but not jaded enough for doom3 i guess.

Doom 3 is kicka*s! Amazing game, insane gfx, insane sound. Everything is just mind boggling. The environment just sucks you in. 10/10 Oh and its freaking scary.

Mr-Fusion said:
Fanboy, no. Gamer with very high expectation, yes. I honestly tried to enjoy Doom 3 but it's just enforced my old opinion that iD software lack the ability to give ME a game I will enjoy. I won't be buying any of their products again.

after reading ur post.. i am beginning to believe that u and others alike (who i don't know what the hell were expecting from Doom3) have expectations way too high about these new titles.

i said this before and i'll say it again, after HL1, pple's expectations for HL2 have grown so huge that im thinking.. at least some of these pple are in for a disappointment.. now i don't know if one of those pple are u Fusion.. but well..anyway :x

i think HL2 will be great.. but if pple are expecting HUGE leaps when u consider the leaps Valve took in HL1... then yeah.. heart break hotel. :|

i thought the gamespot review was correct in giving it an 8.5, you guys should check it out if you havent already.

Doom 3 is a very awesome game and meets all that they intended. IMO
I don't think there could be a better Doom 3.

Man, those Lost Souls are spooky!
The idea isn't to get you killed or challenged necessarily.
But rather you walk through the 'haunted house of hell' you could say, in FPS style. Now I crave to be thrilled. :)

Of course we are all waiting for HL2 to give us that gameplay and see G-ma..err play Gordan again. ;)

Dr. Freeman said:
after reading ur post.. i am beginning to believe that u and others alike (who i don't know what the hell were expecting from Doom3) have expectations way too high about these new titles.

i said this before and i'll say it again, after HL1, pple's expectations for HL2 have grown so huge that im thinking.. at least some of these pple are in for a disappointment.. now i don't know if one of those pple are u Fusion.. but well..anyway :x

i think HL2 will be great.. but if pple are expecting HUGE leaps when u consider the leaps Valve took in HL1... then yeah.. heart break hotel. :|
Yes i'm probably setting myself up for disappointment with HL2, probably.

But i know for a fact i'll be playing CS:S and DOD:S religiously for a long time to come. So if i don't enjoy HL2 i'll still be hooked on the engine in one way or another. Valve have sort of implemented this redunancy check just to make sure people don't abandon them so quickly, if the worst case scenario does happen. I'm looking at my Doom 3 box on the shelf with no inkling to touch it again until a good TC is released.

I dunno i think doom3 actually played out alright. At the beginning of the game a little while after the invasion they pulled lots of tricks on you like spawning behind you... but after a while it gets extremely predictable (screen turns red, imp, kill him, turn 180 degrees, kill behind-you-spawning-imp)

Although i thought it was funny how "acute" you become once you get later on in the game... like i would point my gun quickly at any door i heard open or close it or any little noise was heard looking down the barrel of my gun :-D

I agree with the previous posts that people have WAY to high expectations for these games... its different to have realistic expectations (IMO doom3 WAS good, i didn't want to have sex with it, but they did a excellent job on what they wanted to do)

I'm sure HL2 is going to be great in its own aspects too and both are awesome games...

I just think the problems with this "new-gen" games is that people want to stay in this "blown away" period of shock when they see something so new they still can't believe its a computer game (think of when HL2 was first seen at e3 2003, think of doom in 2002!)

But by the time their released people have played other games that look pretty good too and they read all the articles, all the screenshots, all the videos in different formats... so when they actually play the game, a part of it isn't as "shocking" to you anymore.

I bet if you just put your PC in a box for a year (even two, a year should be enough), and just let games develop... then a week before HL2 is released (assuming you've only played the first one and never knew they were making a new one), and never played far cry or other "new" games.... then you would still be blown away

if that all makes sense

The Doom 3 Experience...

When people say they expected more from Doom 3, i know exactly what they mean. I mean, C'mon, we all knew from the start (and from the alpha) that Doom 3 would have kick ass graphics and sound, so we waited and waited, hoping for a storyline with depth and character that would make you FEEL like you were actually there, amongst the horror and carnage, waving you're flashlight around like a madman at every shadow... but sadly apart from the first few hours which really did suck me into the game, Doom 3 just didn't do it for me.

For starters, where are the TACTICS!??? Most enemies typically spawn next to you, in front of you, or behind you, and before they spawn a bolt of orange lightning lights up where they will be, giving you a heads up where to shoot before they even have time to blink. Very few enemies are actually "waiting for you" in the shadows and when they are you usually see them with the flashlight, which has unlimited batteries by the way.

Zombie soldiers are usually confined to the "run with guns blazing" or the "shoot, hide behind wall, shoot, hide behind wall..." tactics that are just TOO EASY to defeat. At least in FarCry your enemies would take cover, gang up and attampt to avoid being shot to death, not just stand there.

I know that by now a rabid gang of Nvidia Followers will be feverishly trying to hunt me down for these comments, but for someone like me, who has played 99.9% of the FPS games out there, this game just seems too... Typical of a FPS shooter. The only real innovation is the graphics and maybe the Computer Control but apart from that, it's nothing i havent beated before.

I look forward to Halflife 2 for a number of reasons, one being that you dont need a super computer to acheive more then 30 FPS, but more importantly because of the valve tradition of sucking the player into the story and giving the characters depth, innovation with both combat and A.I, and most of all, making you feel like you're actually THERE.

Just my two cents.

Razor2YK

Doom 3 gave me more than what I thought.

I really liked the GUI and the voice recordings. The GUI is good enough in Doom 3 to start penalizing other games that don't use something as cool and simple as that. Not to mention the sound design and the lighting/shadow system.

Doom 3 is a bit repititious and predictable, but it is still fun. I think Doom 3 and HL2 is going to start a massive revolution in games. The beginning of Doom 3 literally felt like a Sci-Fi movie (but lost that feeling pretty quickly once the actual game started). I want to see more of an interactive movie than a game. I know HL2 will push the same areas (in terms of interactive movie), but it will still be a game. I want to play an action game where I don't have to constantly kill people to continue the game/story.

I expect around the time of Quake 5 and HL3, we will start to see games that push the interactive movie limits. After all, the graphics in games are really starting to push movie quality CG.

Yep, doom made it to my great games list.

I understand that people who didn't play the originals may have expected something else. But this is doom. Like it's meant to be. I can know, I mapped a whole episode for the originals (10 levels + 2 secrets), that was 10 years ago. I am still very fond of the original games, they remind me of a part of my younger years.

There is a voucher in the box, telling you the game is supposed to be played in the dark with your volume crancked up, and that 5.1 surround is recommended. IT'S TRUE. I switched between my 5.1 speakers and my desktop speakers, it's another game entirely. With my 5.1 set, I can "feel" the game, the breathing around me, the howling, the machinery, the doors sliding,... I feel all tense just writing about it for it reminds me of the thrill in the game. I've never exprerienced anything like this. And I watch horror flicks like they were teletubbie episodes (28 days ltr, ring, cube, etc they're funnay), but this game is something else.

I'm still looking forward to HL2 tho. I'm sure it'll be a great game too. It's just focuses on different aspects than doom.

Mrfusion you said: -Some of PDA messages were really good . lol? thats so stupid...

-TaNaKa- said:
Mrfusion you said: -Some of PDA messages were really good . lol? thats so stupid...
I like the one from Dr Raleigh, that was good. There was another good radio playback in his lab of this interview with someone who went to hell.

Not having played D3 yet, the storyline sounds a little like Event Horizon, which I thought was pretty imaginative and creepy. Is it comparable?

I haven't played Doom III becuase it's not out in the UK yet! 7 days to go! :D

What I'm wondering is what's going on with that whole RC deal with Vivendi. Wasn't VALVe supposed to have sent them a bug-free RC around today? I hope we hear some news quick..

doom 3 = crap multiplayer there for it doesnt count as a good game in my book. Single player was scarey... I changed my pants a few times.. but thats it

riTuaL said:
What I'm wondering is what's going on with that whole RC deal with Vivendi. Wasn't VALVe supposed to have sent them a bug-free RC around today? I hope we hear some news quick..

The sending of the RC will not be announced in the news

Only after one has gone gold, will we know that a RC had been sent

Back