CoH

Ive been playing alot of Dawn Of War 2 lately.

Its much more streamlined than CoH, for example theres no base building..at all. Its much more action focused. Start with an HQ, one squad and take points around the map for resources which buy and upgrade new units etc.

If you play CoH and go to DoW2, youll get annihalated in MP, as youll be focusing on your HQ when the game is meant to be focused on in the field, getting stuck in and watching the AWESOME melee kill animations.

But then I always miss CoH;

The artillery in that game is awe inspiring. The noise, the effects, the fact that you know its coming just seconds before it hits. Oh its a good feeling. Its the best drug in that game. Easily the best artillery display you'll ever see in a game. Its genuinely terrifying to be on the end of.

I keep seeing this thread and all I read is "Call of Honor."

Ive been playing alot of Dawn Of War 2 lately.

Its much more streamlined than CoH, for example theres no base building..at all. Its much more action focused. Start with an HQ, one squad and take points around the map for resources which buy and upgrade new units etc.

If you play CoH and go to DoW2, youll get annihalated in MP, as youll be focusing on your HQ when the game is meant to be focused on in the field, getting stuck in and watching the AWESOME melee kill animations.

But then I always miss CoH;

The artillery in that game is awe inspiring. The noise, the effects, the fact that you know its coming just seconds before it hits. Oh its a good feeling. Its the best drug in that game. Easily the best artillery display you'll ever see in a game. Its genuinely terrifying to be on the end of.
Not to sound mean, but you're the kind of player that ruined CoH.

Basebuilding is what makes RTS RTS. The ability to reinforce units anywhere anytime ruins the idea of cutting off supply lines, and reduces the tactics to how well you can juke the other player's units.

And the insane focus of Allied forces on artillery is also what made them so gamebreaking. Is your race lacking varied units? Give them more ways to shell out the jerries.

Woah there Winston.

I didnt say anything about choosing DoW2 over CoH. Of the two I will always say CoH is the better game, DoW2 is just CoH without base-building, is in space and is more action-focused.

If you play CoH because of the battles, then DoW2 is a good alternative.

If you play CoH because, like most people, you like the construction and cutting off supply lines and all the strategy like unit placement to set ambushes etc, then obviously CoH is pretty much the best RTS around.

Dont forget, they're both made by Relic.

[Edit] And I agree about the introduction of the British. Theyre just a camper's dream. Build a few lines of howitzers backed up all around by AT guns and MGs and youre pretty much unstoppable if you can build your artillery position in the centre of the map.

Theres a map in the expansion with a raised position in the middle. Playing LAN, I built my howitzers in the centre of that hill, with my mate next door just running around scouting german positions and I was shelling the crap out of the place. Was fun, but I can see how it would destroy MP games.

I disagree. Age of Empires II: The Conquerors is the greatest RTS ever IMO.

Age of empires has always been mediocre for me in every iteration. Starcraft was a game changer for me. I've played a ton of RTS games before or since and the variety in factions, gameplay, and story make it great in single player and multiplayer. Battle.net was a huge bonus to that too. It was also on the forefront of units having multiple abilities. CoH is an absolutely fantastic RTS game, but it's strengths come from it's use of advanced tactics in units. It's fairly different in that sense... but I'd still put Starcraft well head considering the time it was made and the impact on the RTS world that it had.

I started the operation market garden campaign. My normal strategy involve lots of weapons teams and at guns and I rarely use light vehicles or armoured cars. The panzer elite are going to take a lot of getting used to. I especially can't figure out how to mount la proper defense. I've been overrun in the last two missions with only the mission timer expiring to save me.

Playing the British campaign right now. Holy hell the commandos and anti-infantry Churchills are awesome. On the other hand, what the hell is wrong with the canadian officer who addresses you during the airfield mission? He talks like that guy who narrates full life consequences would sound like if he was canadian and had a stroke. You HAve got to clear out those HANGurs.

Donc? Le jeu est en Anglais, il fait un plaint a propros d'une voix anglaise dans le jeu, et vous voulez qu'on parle Francais. D'accord.

Donc? Le jeu est en Anglais, il fait un plaint a propros d'une voix anglaise dans le jeu, et vous voulez qu'on parle Francais. D'accord.

Just standing up for the little guy :p

anyone still playing?
couple friends of mine just picked it up with the weekend deal since retail's such a pain in the ass to patch
anyway, thinkin about getting back into it
as much as I like sc2, COH is still my all-time fav RTS

If I could remember my account name (I've tried Viperidae/vipergay/vipersmurf/viperviper with every password I've ever used and no dice) I would jump in and see how ****ed up the balance currently is, but I can't. And don't tell me to reinstall. The game was 6 gigs on install with an extra 4 from OF/patches. Riot's site has a goddamn flowchart as to how to apply the dozens of version-breaking patches. It would literally take me a day to patch from a vanilla install.

I've actually just played an online match after reading this article on RPS. I hadn't played online in ages, but I got a noob so I totally annihilated him by getting out fast Ostwinds.

Not a great moment to start though, since the CoH:Online open beta has just started.

Anyone looking forward to Company of Heroes Online or do you think the leveling up and heroes would ruin the feel of the game? Also, is there any bonus if you already own the paid-for games?

I'd love to try it out but the launcher keeps crashing. According to the forums I am not the only one, but so far there hasn't been a fix / workaround.

Dunno about owning the original games. Would be nice.

No reason to doubt CoH online since it will revive the online world (not that it's dead or anything) for CoH and you can have enjoy that high quality RTS goodness. I haven't read or seen anything about the leveling up and all that though. I mean didn't your units level up in the original too?

During a match, yeah. The mechanic depended on your 'race'. In CoH:O though you have persistent upgrades that carry over to other matches. New weapons, improved or new abilities, etc.

Sigh. It's going to be TF2 gimmicky when all the game needed was balance and a better matchmaker client.

Who is Riot?
Shit lol. Old man Viper's memory's going.

Riot is the company that makes League of Legends, a game that has great promise but is perpetually bogged down by balance issues and stupid developer decisions.

Relic is the company that made Company of Heroes, a game that had great promise (the most revolutionary step in RTS since Dune 2) but was perpetually bogged down by balance issues. Then Relic moved on and made DoW2. And we know how great that was.

Played a couple more 1v1 matches. I don't know if it is all the SC2 I have been playing but I am owning players with over 1000 games under their belt. I think it has something to do with the game speed. CoH is sooo sloooow compared to Starcraft. You have all the time in the world to think out your strategy and micro your units correctly. Brits are still a pain in the ass though. It took me almost an hour to beat a persistent dude who didn't want to give up. Thank god he didn't go artillery, because that would have been the death of me. The good ole Tiger saved the day. Backed up with some Volks and pioneers even three Churchills can't destroy it.

You may as well gg as soon as you see Brits because even if you win it'll take a needless hour out of your day.

CoH was an amazing RTS, but it was just too slow for me. 40 - 60 minute 1v1's are a little much.

Alright I reinstalled this bitch. Gonna check out balance, will probably rage.

CoH has the best Singleplayer of any strategy game I have ever played. I mean, I'm quite partial to the material, so I'm absolutely biased, but when I got to play the Panzer Lehr, and use their Tiger tanks with their historically faulty transmissions in Villers Bocage and on Point 213... it was one of the coolest experiences I've had in a game. LIKE RELIVING HISTORY

Though I really wished I could have played as Michael Wittman himself. I mean, yeah, he was a Nazi, but he was the most badass Nazi I've read about. That crazy mother****er took one Tiger tank into battle, by himself, and destroyed 14 British tanks, 15 APCs, and two AT guns in ****ing less than 20 minutes.

Comparing CoH to reliving history, that's classic!:LOL:

anyone here still playing?
just picked up ToV yesterday for 5 bucks... looking to get back into it

list your in-game name here
CorradO

If they've released a full patch that doesn't require downloading 30 other patches then I'd totally be up for it.

Though, I keep meaning to buy the expansions and just never got around to it... they'd probably help alleviate some of the inane patching process.

I would be down to play with HL2netters, I have never been very decent at this game online though. I get just miserably annihilated any time I try to play against random people online. I have all the expansions etc.

If they've released a full patch that doesn't require downloading 30 other patches then I'd totally be up for it.

Though, I keep meaning to buy the expansions and just never got around to it... they'd probably help alleviate some of the inane patching process.

ya that's exactly why I bought ToV on steam... to avoid having to patch CoH and OF through my retail copies
plus ToV gives you all the multiplayer content... so its the way to go regardless of whether or not you own the other 2

Back