combine are aleins

i think its likely they're alien. Considering they're wearing gas masks which could possibly be breathing apparatus? Wearing a gas mask when u dont need it is unpractical and hampers vision, so i dont see why'd they be wearing one if they didn't have to.

they are a combination of alien and man. hence the name "combine", which stands for "combination". they said this somewhere in an interview.

I personally think that the combine wear masks so that the guys at VALVe don't have to do a ****load of different face models for them.:)

BTW: What's the bet that VALVe can't resist the obvious pun and have something called a "Combine Harvester"?:E Just occured to me.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
I personally think that the combine wear masks so that the guys at VALVe don't have to do a ****load of different face models for them.:)

BTW: What's the bet that VALVe can't resist the obvious pun and have something called a "Combine Harvester"?:E Just occured to me.

More likely they wear masks because killing faceless psuedo aliens will give you a better ERSB rating than killing humans. Something the original HL did not have to worry about.

Originally posted by Stryyder
More likely they wear masks because killing faceless psuedo aliens will give you a better ERSB rating than killing humans. Something the original HL did not have to worry about.

you think they are going for a T?

this is gonna be MUCH more grusome and M for 10000% sure.
i saw a picture of the burned body model, its sick(the gross kind of sick not the way the kids use it.)

Originally posted by Steven Q Urkle
you think they are going for a T?

this is gonna be MUCH more grusome and M for 10000% sure.
i saw a picture of the burned body model, its sick(the gross kind of sick not the way the kids use it.)

I don't know but Vivendi cut all kinds of things out of TOEE in order to get a T rating. I am hoping Valve doesn't have the same type of problem.

Certain stores like Target will not carry it if the rating is too high.

Well, the combine have to be, in some form, based around human.
They talk English (although its w/ an alien-like voice)
They have machine guns of their own, as well as sentry guns, and the one pic show them holding OICW's another human weapon. And who knows....maybe the strider and flying thing arn't with the combine? I mean many of us think that when the guy shots the flare up in the barricade video, he calls in the air thing, but maybe that air thing and strider is of another race....weve never seen the strider or air thing next to the combine in shooting distance....the only possible exception is the buggy part.

Target won't carry M ratings? no wonder I can never find good games there.

Originally posted by Menelaos
Target won't carry M ratings? no wonder I can never find good games there.

Either them or K-mart, I am not sure which one.

I'm pretty sure Target'll carry M titles, I remember seeing American McGee's Alice there once or twice, and I think HL...can't remember exactly.

imagine how stupid it'd be if they tried giving hl2 a g rating.
lol that'd suck big chode

Originally posted by GhostValkyrie
The Hydra is not Combine, by any means. After all, it attacked a Combine soldier. It's just part of the Xen race. Remember, this is set years after the incident.(at least a decade)

So, the world is infested with aliens, and the human pupolation has been forced to nearly zilch. The world is their territory, now.

-Ghost.

Exactly. Read the storyline a bit more guys. The human population might even be below 1,000,000,000.

Originally posted by Cyber$nake
....maybe the strider and flying thing arn't with the combine? I mean many of us think that when the guy shots the flare up in the barricade video, he calls in the air thing, but maybe that air thing and strider is of another race....weve never seen the strider or air thing next to the combine in shooting distance....the only possible exception is the buggy part.

Actually, I think they are. Reason being, the Strider seems to have the same symbol on its carapace as the combine have on their uniforms. I think. I'll try to find a screenshot with a clear view of the back of a combine soldier:E.

EDIT: Went and checked. The guys with the blue masks and urban camouflage have the symbol on their backs, at least. Are they the metrocops, the combine, or what?

Well I remeber seeing a movie on the "Movie Greats" channel.. and it had something to do with an alien's race's homeplanet becoming too harsh for them to inhabit, so they come to earth but find the atmoshere was too harsh for them to live under, so they took some apes and engineered them with their own genes

therefore the later evolutions of the humans were effectively part of their race.

You may find this idea to be unrelated, but what if it is another race that have captured some humans and reverse-engineered them so they could intergrate themselves into the world's climate better?

Although you may say "but they wear masks" however that could be beacause in the reversal of the human there are sideffects which cannot be fixed

I would say if you could do this, having a body which can have a lighter suit would be much easier than needing a self contained "spacesuit" which needs to be armoured as well.

I'm still not sure about the different "sides" in HL2. The Alien Combine described in the E3 video sounds pretty vague. As some one else said it is Alien and a combination - of what we do not yet know (though it seems pretty hostile to Gordon).

I'm a little confused about something else though. I read in the UK PC GAMER magazine a few months ago when it mentioned the "Metrocops" who were the military police of City 17. Are these people the same as the combine (and therefore the soldiers we have seen)? And if they are not, will they fight against the alien invaders to presumably shore up the government of the city? It could also be that they will view Gordon as another threat and attack him and his allies.

A three way or possibly five way conflict? Anyone else have any ideas about the Metrocops?

The combine are the Army, and police of City 17, they are human.

Originally posted by Stryyder
I don't know but Vivendi cut all kinds of things out of TOEE in order to get a T rating. I am hoping Valve doesn't have the same type of problem.

Certain stores like Target will not carry it if the rating is too high.

HL2 is teh goryest game since Soldier of Fortune 2, its horrible, It has bullet holes in humans, its very nasty gore, I would post pics, but you know how it is......

Originally posted by PhatBoyz
The combine are the Army, and police of City 17, they are human.

I have a feeling the combine are re-animated humans, to perpetuate the human race with their undead deadly deadiness of like chewy tastes

What's the difference between the ones with the blue gasmasks, and the ones with the white ones?

Yah, I've seen some betascreens showing dead Alyx and Kleiner (even G-man lol) , and they make me feel naseaous (spelling?), I never had that feeling when checking Sof2 guys, that was exaggerated and they weren't really smart when they were alive. HL2's characters are so alive and smart so it has an impact on you when they die.

Errmmm... Probably because while Barney was having a shower, some perverted woman stole his blue suit? Now he's forced to knock out one of the combines, equipped it's clothings?

My conclusion is that the Combine is not human, although not necessarily alien as in from xen.

When I fight them in HL2B they communicate with each other, but not in any human tongue. It sounds alien. Just picture grunts from Opposing Force talking alien gibberish is what the Combine sounds like. And when you kill them, they make an alien noise too.

Hope this isn't a spoiler in any way. People pretty much have butchered the hell out of what things are like in the game.

Originally posted by Bluefusion
My conclusion is that the Combine is not human, although not necessarily alien as in from xen.

When I fight them in HL2B they communicate with each other, but not in any human tongue. It sounds alien. Just picture grunts from Opposing Force talking alien gibberish is what the Combine sounds like. And when you kill them, they make an alien noise too.

Hope this isn't a spoiler in any way. People pretty much have butchered the hell out of what things are like in the game.

*kkchhhhchhh*

"I'll take care of max payne, he's as good as dead"

"FOUND HIM!"

the combine are in mp2.

What's with this sudden Max Payne obsession? It's a great game, but there's something wrong when we're talking about Max Payne more than HL2 on an HL2 forum.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
What's with this sudden Max Payne obsession? It's a great game, but there's something wrong when we're talking about Max Payne more than HL2 on an HL2 forum.

Well, would you rather talk about the hl2 beta leak and if my computer will run hl2?

Well... we could always be discussing mods for the future... or continuing this debate about the combine. No pressure its just that... put your Max Payne stuff in Off-Topic

Combine are aliens

A cool mod would be where we take dead striders and launch them at people, you need to get a flag in the center of the outdoor arena.

i believe it's still arguable, in the tunnels hl movie, the combines say something like 'hey you' or 'stop' or something i do believe that they're working FOR the aliens, so they might be part alien but prodominantly human, except for them having gills and not lungs hah aha

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
Well, Alex, perhaps you could read the rules of the forum before spoiling other people's experience?

OMG the a model has a human head! :eek:

maybe i should just kill myslef now since i cant ever play HL2 now

:dozey:

Just to clear things out:
The Alien Combine is a fortress that slowly eats it's way through City 17, as we see in one of the movies (walls moving up and down, like teeth)
And Combine Soldiers really means Soldiers Of The Combine , and The Combine is the fortress.
So the name "Combine" may not actually tell us anything about them.

mmh.. so if it's a fortresse that eat the city... maybe it converts the habitants in soldiers too

Hmmm interesting new way of looking at it. I alwas thought of the combine as the soldiers themselves, not the walls. U might be right. But why would the big wall thing be called the Combine?

maybe it's the combine way to conquier earth, you can't do anything agains't a big metal wall

combine soldiers look very human albeit freaky without their armor

From viewing the movies, combine soldiers don't speak english and sound liek the alien slaves from hl1. I think they are aliens. Or maybe a hybrid of alien and human to create the "ideal race" or something along those lines.

LOL I just had a mental image of one of those lightning aliens hitting on a co-worker from black Mesa. That's how the Combine came about!! I see it all now. It's so clear.

BTW alien slaves are in HL2.

Back