compiling a model

JFry

Tank
Reaction score
Hi all I'm just learning to model and I've followed this tutorial:
http://tutorials.moddb.com/109/

I've gotten my 3 .smd files exported and I've tried creating a qc file using the info in the tutorial but I am having trouble actually compiling the model. Can somebody walk me thru it?

Check out the link in my sig, it's a model compile toolkit. Just read the readme.txt and it's pretty easy. Make your the drive you use it on is "C".

I tried that and it gives me this error:

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 181
studio compiler also gives me an error (something about the models folder being read only I believe).

I've managed to compile using a command prompt but my texture didn't work. Does the texture have to be the same name as the model?

Can anybody tell me if my naming conventions for .smd files is correct?
cake_ref.smd --> reference file
cake_idle.smd --> skeleton
cake_phys.smd --> physics
cakeskin.tga --> skin

ignore them all. go on the official source wiki and read the tutorial on compiling models through the comand prompt.

I've tried that tutorial and that is how I managed to compile the model, however I am getting a checkerboard for my texture and I can't figure out how to fix it. I have a feeling it's something stupid.

most likely it isnt linking to the directory of your texture. i cant remember too well as i dont havwe hl2 installed at the moment as ive just reformatted but it should be like %cdmaterials models\mymodel\

that would link to materials\models\mymodel

Open the vmf file corresponding to your texture and edit the $basetexture property to the directory where the texture is actually located.

Also, using cannonfodder's compiler, change the reference.smd's texture to the texture that you're using.

Back