CONFIRMED (again): Internet needed for RETAIL HL2.

Well, unfortunately, it seems Valve has decided that all people who want play HL2, even those who wish to play SP in offline mode only, have to install this wonderful new creation of theirs.

I'm too pissed off right now to have a good frame of mind. I'd like to thank all of you for giving me an opportunity to rant and vent my feelings. I do hope I've not offended anyone.

I suppose I'll have to purchase the game, but I'll be doing it retail, and I'll only "activate" the thing if there is no other choice.

The shame is, I was really looking forward to DM, since the first DM was so much fun, and I expected Physics to increase the enjoyment. Now that is shot at the get-go, and I'm not happy about needing to install extra crap just to play a video game. I think it's heavy-handed tactics, much like making someone wear a patch on their coat, just to go buy a loaf of bread.

Homercidal said:
I don't see any track record. As far as I see, there was never a strict requirement of Internet Access to play a Valve game, nor any other game.

The track record I speak of is of Valve pursuing fraud cases, which granted, there is not a huge amount, but in my view it's a whole lot better than most.

Homercidal said:
I"m not worried about using a pirated copy of the game. I don't play MP online (esp. CS), and would only be interested in playing the SP and DM versions on LAN. Therefore, there is no real requirement for me to have to authenticate to a Steam Server, just to play HL2. Again, it's extra software, that's not needed for the gaming experience, forced on us by Valve.
The goal that Valve is aiming for is a subscription based system. This may be a ways down the road, but regardless of if you bought the SP game to play only that... Valve plans on having a system that expands the offerings to its customers without having to deal with the retail hassle. Innovative, but ATM unconventional.

Homercidal said:
If they wanted to use Steam to Validate online players, such as for cheats and illegal CD Keys and such, then fine, it's their servers and they are hosting the MP experience, but for those who do not have Internet, or do not wish to play over the Internet, it's just not necessary. Valve is only thinking of those people who play on their servers. People who need to have the same revision to play on their servers. People at home, who do not have a problem playing the game, certainly don't need to be spoon-fed updates, and Steam is simply extra bloatware.

Again this is based on people using online play, which is where Valve wants to take this. Who's problem is it if gamers won't apply updates, cheats are therefore rampant, security holes exist, and general dissatisfaction is present. In reality it's the gamer, but as an IT person myself :) I know end users would put the blame elsewhere and discontinue using the products.

Homercidal said:
What would you think if you bought a TV and it required you to dial the internet, just to watch network broadcasts? That is how I see it. I bought the game and there is no reason for Valve to know who I am, where I live, how often I play, what sites I visit, what IP address I'm using, or anything else they could possibly be using Steam for. It's just not necessary.

Actually this would be a great antipiracy tool now wouldn't it?! Who's stealing channels? Yes it's a pain in the butt, but I'm still sticking to my guns on the fact that this is a long term approach that Valve is taking and I trust they have GOOD reason for it. If you're happy with the way games are, then fine, I can see your POV and respect it. But the future is internet based games, subscriptions, and service. The gaming industry has always, and will always take the leap into the future before the rest of the IT industry does. PLAN on seeing this type of roadmap from MS and all other big name software companies in the future.

Homercidal said:
Kids will see that stuff regardless what you do, the Internet is just to prevelant today. I'd rather they know about it and be able to say "So what?", when their friends start talking about it.
My god, a progressive parent in this day and age! Who'dda thunk it! You'll be encouraging them to think for themselves next ;)

If there's really going to be a subscription-based system for many things 7 years down the line, I'm going to hate myself. I hate sites likes Fileplanet, I hate GameSpot now that it's gone commercial. I probably wouldn't sign up for any paid content websites even if I was a billionaire - I am just opposed to the idea.

Valjarom: you sieriously want Microsoft & other companies invading your privacy while you play videogames or surf the web?

Its people like you that vote George Bush into office....

I'm in the military, I can't just 'hook up' my computer even if I wanted to. The computer I use has NO connection to the internet. I'm going to wait and see what happens, but if Valve Fook me over, Fook buying any of their games again. I've been a loyal customer the last six years. Always paid for my games from them, but if this happens there is no way I can justify paying for the game.

If I go under in my submarine with my laptop I want to be able to play HL2. Simple as that.

ApocalypseNow said:
Valjarom: you sieriously want Microsoft & other companies invading your privacy while you play videogames or surf the web?

Its people like you that vote George Bush into office....

That level of paranoia is astounding... what exactly would MS do with knowing your every move on the net?!?!!? Do you honestly believe that they care that much about YOU. I'm all for a right to privacy friend. I've worked in the field long enough to know that the only people that are watching you that closely.. are the spyware people.

Heaven forbid that software companies use such tools to create ACTUALLY SECURE software.. it would be a first for MS. I suppose the world would come to an end.. cause I'm sure then everyone would have to do it to compete.. and then prices would have to drop cause there wasn't a need for retail distribution... Man.. we're headed for hell in a handbasket. ;)

I trust Microsoft and other big businesses far more than the spyware people, obviously... but I am still uncomfortable with any transmissions detailing what I do. Not because I think someone cares much for what I do, but out of principle - I just don't like that!

It's fair enough that Valve want such a security measure but they would do it when I've moved out of home and into a flat for uni where I don't have the bloody net!!

*Grumble*

valjarom said:
The track record I speak of is of Valve pursuing fraud cases, which granted, there is not a huge amount, but in my view it's a whole lot better than most.

I concede this point. I believe that this might be Steams only redeeming feature, but only time will tell if they can succesfully filter the frauders form the legitimate users.

As far as subscription goes, I've been against it from day one. There are not many times I've thought it was better than actually buying the software and the right to use it. I've never really cared for "renting" it.

I guess some people don't mind going with the flow, and usually that is me, but in this case, I don't really see how it will enhance MY gameplay, and likely it will only help Valve find fraudulent buyers, or online cheaters. SP players are still going to have cracks available.

I see this as Valve's big chance to sell Steam to other software companies. If HL2 is successful, then others will surely want to license it for them as well. If it is the wave of the future, then Valve will surely want to make the most of it.

CombineHarvester said:
My god, a progressive parent in this day and age! Who'dda thunk it! You'll be encouraging them to think for themselves next ;)

I would never have considered myself "progressive", but if the shoe fits, I suppose.

I've found myself leaning conservative on most issues, but in this case I realize that you cnanot shield your children from everything on the Internet, and it is much more effective to teach them values as best as you can rather than hide them away from the world.

I hope that if I do a good job raising them, then they will be able to take care of themselves, or feel like they can come to me for advice if need be. This does not mean that I'm going to encourage them to go out and try all kinds of experiences as they want to, but I hope I am providing them with plenty of life experiences as much as I can. Maybe they (2 daughters), will be wise enough to not get pregneant when they are 16, and not be lured into drinking and doing drugs in school.

Kids are goin to do what they want as soon as they are able. The trick is to show them responsible living, hope they understand, and be there when they falter.

you're all still forgetting a large proportion of the population. it's ok saying "ah just buy a modem etc la-de-da" but for a lot of university students, the afforementioned large population, steam won't work because of the proxy connection. Add to this the fact that I'm sure I'm not the only student who doesn't have a phone socket in their room and you can see the problem. I think Valve have really made a poor decision here.

Bobcat said:
I just hope there'll be a No-cd crack... :upstare: :p

More like a No-Steam hack. This is, however, a classic example, IMO, of a game developer encouraging warez. Army personnel, students, many other people who are going to suffer because of the decision to force auth...

PlasmaBurnz said:
Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that us sitting here talking, on the internet, are moaning about a game requiring an internet connection to sign up? And the poor people who don't have the internet not being able to play.

Sorry for being selfish, but who cares? If your on here you obviously have some kind of access to the internet (even if it's in a local cybercafe). So surely you can get a pc hooked up to an internet connection somewhere to register the game. Then you don't need a net connection after that.

Those that don't have any access aren't gonna be able to get on here to read about the mother teresa's fighting for their cause, so what's the point?

I just find it quite amusing.

Perhaps because I care about other people besides myself as well as the principle of the thing?

I don't find the idea all that amusing really.

valjarom said:
That level of paranoia is astounding... what exactly would MS do with knowing your every move on the net?!?!!? Do you honestly believe that they care that much about YOU.
Off-Topic: It should be obvious why people don't want to give up their privacy rights to corporations.

Imagine a situation where everything you do online is monitored - maybe not be a person watching, but by electronic logging. Google already has technology to customize advertisements for google searches, and even contents in your GMail inbox. When television goes digital, imagine getting commercials specifically directed towards you, based on what you did on the internet.

This is easily possible when you consider the gap closing between computers and televisions, and the small number of huge corporations that are constantly merging and making that number of choices smaller.

Let's say AOL/Time/Warner implemented something like this. AOL online logged your internet usage of looking at movie reviews, and because they are the same company, a Warner Bros. TV channel carries an advertisement for Blockbuster (owned by Time/Warner somewhere down the hierarchy). No specific person is watching you, but you end up with less choice. Not so much less privacy.

GuNzABlaZiN said:
I don't think that there are that many people that have computers good enough to run HL2 yet do not have internet connections.
my friend is getting a new PC but still lives at home, it wont be convenient for him to use the family internet connection at certain hours of the day - running a cable about etc.

he is going to buy it but to be penalised in this way is terrible. Also my net went out earlier today for a couple of hours so if that happens again i wouldn't be able to play it. ffs this is needless antagonism of people, like me, who have bought the game! :(

people who are upset with this, AND who are posting on this forum are crazy. After all, you need an internet connection to even post on an online forum. Besides, what percentage of people who have a great connection and no intenet? less than 1%? why should Valve scrap this idea simply for a 1% fan base? From any POV, it would be pointless.

NO but i will probably change my internet and that can take like 3-4 weeks at worst and i dont wanna sit there and not being able to play due to steam :(

john121 said:
people who are upset with this, AND who are posting on this forum are crazy. After all, you need an internet connection to even post on an online forum. Besides, what percentage of people who have a great connection and no intenet? less than 1%? why should Valve scrap this idea simply for a 1% fan base? From any POV, it would be pointless.

Crazy huh? It's crazy to care about other people and to protest an idea on the pinciple of it? Maybe you thinks so, but I do not.

It's going to affect 1% of the people? First, you pulled tha figure out of thin air. It's most likely going to affect a lot more than that. There are other countries than the US you know.

Second, let's say a million copies are sold. Using your unlikely 1% value that's ten thousand people that are affected. I don't know about you, but I would like everyone to be able to play the game just as easily as I can.

i haven't read all pages of this thread, but i was really under then impression that Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi both said that you could play HL2 without an internet connection

you just couldn't register your product, and you couldn't download updates.

has this been confirmed otherwise?

Most of this can be easily fixed with a toll free number. Microsoft did it, valve can too. As had been mentioned above, my biggest beef is what happens on a reformat reload. I reinstall from scratch at least once a year (this is recommended for everyone) and sometimes 2-3 times a year. I've long since blown my XP (automatic) reinstall limit, but as stated above as well, Microsoft has given me no trouble on the phone as long as I explain why. (Lately I have gone to ghosting a rudimentary base activated image and using that as a gold master on subsequent reloads, unfortunately this wont work after a major hardware upgrade)

Anyhow, the point being is there had better be something in place that I can reactivate/prove my CD-key with steam (or by phone) or this is a recipie for disaster.

well for steam, all that information is stored on valves servers, so simply logging into steam would sort your problem out

john121 said:

I'm chatting while at work. Lots of people can chat online while still being blocked from Steam. Surfing the net is not the same for all applications.

I would not like anyone bringing their computer into work and plugging it into our network, just to activate Steam. There is a good chance they will at least get a reprimand for it. We cannot tolerate inserting unsecure PCs into the network. it's too risky nowadays.

john121 said:

for every 1 person in this thread against the idea of authing online, each knows of several who are not yet online. That would make onliners a minority by a big margin. Where did you get your 1% from, speculation boy?

If you don't want to read a rant, skip on down to the end

*BEGIN DRAMA/RANT*

Reading through the new PC Gamer (that's the us edition kiddos) last night I read an article about how analysts are predicting a record year for PC gaming. To quote the article "...the limelight has been hogged by the consoles, which have drawn the lion's share of publisher and developer interest (if for no other reason than that a large installed base of consoles means that a big-selling title sells REALLY big)". So the question must be asked, for what reason do consoles have a larger user base? Higher quality games? No, not to say that consoles don't have good games, they do, just that the PC platform has just as many if not more quality games. Is it cheaper? well, yes and no, depending on how you look at it. The PC appears to have a steaper initial investment. But (let's take this generation for example) if you were to purchase all three consoles, which is not entirely uncommon, you'd be approaching the price of a capable PC. Not to mention that after that initial investment, PC's become cheaper to maintain (you can, for a rather minimal cost, keep a PC up-to-date, while once a new iteration of a console is available, you have to start all over) and the games are by and large alot cheaper. PC Games cost less new, and drop price quicker than Console games. So we see that console gamers are just as willing to pump cash into their system of choice just as PC gamers are. So why do consoles sell better?

Simple. They're easy.

They're easy to set up, easy to maintain, easy to use. When you buy a new game, there is no file managment, no installing, you won't run out of hard-drive space. You pop in the disc and turn on the power, and wham, you're playing. When you have to spend more cash and buy the new systems, your assured that you have the latest and greatest, no need to research (well, little need, you'll have two, maybe three options to choose from) no knowledge of the innerworkings of the sytem is needed.

PC's are clunky, cumbersome, pains-in-the-ass. Their large, demand lot's of space, time and effort to work effectivly. They demand constant maintanance if you hope to keep your gaming experience at a enjoyable level. PC gamers are arguably far buggier than console games (the ability to patch a game is often used as an excuse to push an unfinished game out).

To tie this all back into the topic at hand, the average, mainstream gamer (which by the way, is highly unlikely to inhabit this forum in order to voice their opinion) is not highly anticipating Half-Life 2. At best they'll here something positive about it in a random magazine or see a cool looking ad somewhere. Their not determined to play the game no matter what. Most likely, the average gamer will try out the game, have a hard time installing and give up, letting the game collect dust or just as likely return it.

By Valve further complicating the PC gaming process, they're pushing the average gamer further and further away, making the chance of PC gaming seeing the mainstream success that console gaming has seen less and less likely. Sure, HL2 may just be one game and Valve just one company. But ask an analyst, Half-Life 2 is one of the big three this year, it's part of the vangaurd that's supposed to usher a new age of PC gaming in. And it appears Valve is bound and determined to sabotage their own work.

*END DRAMA/RANT*

Yep, I like pie!!

Lets say for a moment that you had bought HL2, and you didn't have the internet. What would you do? Take it back to the shop?

I personally would look for the nearest friend with the internet to either register it or download a crack for me. I would feel no compunctions about cracking the game if I had actually legally bought it.

Windows XP registration might be a pain in the ass but at least you can do it by phone. I feel that valve is merely making installing and playing the game more complicated than is neseccary.

Sure I hate people who pirate great games and brag about it, but there must be a better way to fight them than this. People will be working round-the-clock now just to say they can beat valves new copy protection. If anything, it has just bought valve some time.

I'm with Jabber here. I'd def. buy the game, but only to buy the game, not to take part in Valve's grand Steam Scheme.

For playing online, yes. For playing SP or LAN, no.

Spiffae said:
i haven't read all pages of this thread, but i was really under then impression that Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi both said that you could play HL2 without an internet connection

you just couldn't register your product, and you couldn't download updates.

has this been confirmed otherwise?

First post.

jAkUpF said:
PC gaming is dying, the reason they are doing this is because of so many warezing going around.

wrong.

more console games are pirated over warez channels than pc games and they seem to be doing fine.

PC games for the last 5 years have been clones of eachother, i can count on one hand the number of revolutionary PC games in the last 5 years.

GTA3
TW series
Hl2

The rest, like it or not are clones of other peoples games.

Plus the PC market is much more critical than the console market, pc gamers have the internet and spend a lot of time talking about games, they hear reviews of a game they might get well before they get to play it, and these are from people who are gamers themselves.

Consoles on the other hand have to generaly rely on crappy magazines that are almost always biased in one way or fasinated by eyecandy.

Valve will actually gain less than lose from this method. What they gain is a one-time advantage that it will take more time for a crack. Not significantly though - it's simply that crack might not be out the day of the release (or, more accurately the day crackers get it), but one day after that. Two days tops. And just to make the game last uncracked another day, they upset many customers.

Valve_Assassin said:
If you don't want to read a rant, skip on down to the end

*BEGIN DRAMA/RANT*

Reading through the new PC Gamer (that's the us edition kiddos) last night I read an article about how analysts are predicting a record year for PC gaming. To quote the article "...the limelight has been hogged by the consoles, which have drawn the lion's share of publisher and developer interest (if for no other reason than that a large installed base of consoles means that a big-selling title sells REALLY big)". So the question must be asked, for what reason do consoles have a larger user base? Higher quality games? No, not to say that consoles don't have good games, they do, just that the PC platform has just as many if not more quality games. Is it cheaper? well, yes and no, depending on how you look at it. The PC appears to have a steaper initial investment. But (let's take this generation for example) if you were to purchase all three consoles, which is not entirely uncommon, you'd be approaching the price of a capable PC. Not to mention that after that initial investment, PC's become cheaper to maintain (you can, for a rather minimal cost, keep a PC up-to-date, while once a new iteration of a console is available, you have to start all over) and the games are by and large alot cheaper. PC Games cost less new, and drop price quicker than Console games. So we see that console gamers are just as willing to pump cash into their system of choice just as PC gamers are. So why do consoles sell better?

Simple. They're easy.

They're easy to set up, easy to maintain, easy to use. When you buy a new game, there is no file managment, no installing, you won't run out of hard-drive space. You pop in the disc and turn on the power, and wham, you're playing. When you have to spend more cash and buy the new systems, your assured that you have the latest and greatest, no need to research (well, little need, you'll have two, maybe three options to choose from) no knowledge of the innerworkings of the sytem is needed.

PC's are clunky, cumbersome, pains-in-the-ass. Their large, demand lot's of space, time and effort to work effectivly. They demand constant maintanance if you hope to keep your gaming experience at a enjoyable level. PC gamers are arguably far buggier than console games (the ability to patch a game is often used as an excuse to push an unfinished game out).

To tie this all back into the topic at hand, the average, mainstream gamer (which by the way, is highly unlikely to inhabit this forum in order to voice their opinion) is not highly anticipating Half-Life 2. At best they'll here something positive about it in a random magazine or see a cool looking ad somewhere. Their not determined to play the game no matter what. Most likely, the average gamer will try out the game, have a hard time installing and give up, letting the game collect dust or just as likely return it.

By Valve further complicating the PC gaming process, they're pushing the average gamer further and further away, making the chance of PC gaming seeing the mainstream success that console gaming has seen less and less likely. Sure, HL2 may just be one game and Valve just one company. But ask an analyst, Half-Life 2 is one of the big three this year, it's part of the vangaurd that's supposed to usher a new age of PC gaming in. And it appears Valve is bound and determined to sabotage their own work.

*END DRAMA/RANT*

Yep, I like pie!!

The one thing I have to say about your post is the nature of console development vs PC development. Developing for a console is also far easier than PC's. Due to the nature of the console having locked feature sets while PC technology goes back to the legacy years, to DX9, to openGL. Not only that but you have many many different devices that work together many many different ways, which leads to alot of bugs. All PC games have to be patched. Because all PC's are not the same. Kotor for the xbox had the same bugs as it did for the PC. But because the xbox was feature locked those bugs didn't really effect console gamers as much as the PC. Lets look at morrowind as an example. Pirates of the carrabean. They all have bugs, they all were smash console hits. They all had bugs that effected PC gamers on a larger scale due to certain hardware. The difference between the console and the pc was the pc versions could be patched and the pc gamers could change their drivers to fix certain bugs. A console gamer is hardly ever effected by hardware bugs like a pc gamer. There are thousands of combinations of computer parts that interact with eachother using resources differently. Power usage differently. Input devices that conflict with output devices and so forth. This is one of the main things most of the top dogs in the pc industry have been trying to solve with 'standards'. But the middlemen and even some of the big men, are afraid that standards will hinder the tech curve growth of the PC industry itself. Although with todays simple standards PC gaming has become alot less buggy than it used to be during the legacy years. So I just don't agree that developers push out unfinished products with the excuse they can patch them. Usually its publishers who do this. As the developers are usually using a feature lock set opf hardare while designing their game, so they don't see the bug or glitch that the publisher see's when testing across multiple platform's and hardware setups.

Valve_Assassin said:
CSS has allready been cracked. Don't expect Half-Life 2 to last much longer.

CSS wasn't exactly cracked, but im not going to get into what those kids at emp**** did.

Solver said:
Valve will actually gain less than lose from this method. What they gain is a one-time advantage that it will take more time for a crack. Not significantly though - it's simply that crack might not be out the day of the release (or, more accurately the day crackers get it), but one day after that. Two days tops. And just to make the game last uncracked another day, they upset many customers.

I agree. There is no-way this 'on-line registration' will provide 'unbreakable' copy protection. HL2 will be cracked, the question is: sooner or later?

In my opinion, it may buy enough time so that some of the people that would warez it will get fed up and buy the damn thing. If this happens, kudos to valve.

Also, if they put enough large print dire warnings of the dreadful consequences of sending false registration info to valve, they may deter some other casual crackers. Again, if this comes to pass, kudos to valve.

Also, I hope there is some way other than on-line to register HL2, even being able to register from a cyber-cafe would be better than nothing. I hope that this has not been a bad marketing decision for valve, I am all in favor of new copy-protection.

hmm.. so i guess if u go to purchase HL2 retail, it will have internet access listed as mandatory right? because i can already see angry gamers (who don't have internet access) taking the game back to the store and showing their displeasure in not only the game not working, but also that internet access was not under the mandatory requirements list.

jabberwock95 said:
I agree. There is no-way this 'on-line registration' will provide 'unbreakable' copy protection. HL2 will be cracked, the question is: sooner or later?

In my opinion, it may buy enough time so that some of the people that would warez it will get fed up and buy the damn thing. If this happens, kudos to valve.

Also, if they put enough large print dire warnings of the dreadful consequences of sending false registration info to valve, they may deter some other casual crackers. Again, if this comes to pass, kudos to valve.

Also, I hope there is some way other than on-line to register HL2, even being able to register from a cyber-cafe would be better than nothing. I hope that this has not been a bad marketing decision for valve, I am all in favor of new copy-protection.

It will not delay crack for long enough. Warez people will just wait another day or two instead of buying. There's no chance it could last even a week. Also, crackers won't need to send false registration info or something, they'll crack it another way, I won't be going into details.

I am against this because, mainly, I think of the many users for whom it will pose a big problem. A very bad decision by Valve.

FthrJACK said:
How about you get a clue and go read through the thread again? Because thats what this thread is about, but your too much of a troll and a tard to realise.

Stupid anti piracy measures that dont affect the pirates and serve only to piss the customer off. Why dont you live up to your name and go and eat shit like the tape worm you are?

Like the guy above just proved my point, part of Valve main customer base - STUDENTS cant play this game because they cant access the net properly via their dorms in order to activate and play a game them damned paid for. If they pay for the game, they should be punished for doing so and have to jump through hoops to suit valve or anyone else for that matter.

Infact, students will probably have to resort to someone downloading the warez version and then passing the CD around campus, which is going to lead to people who havent bought the game getting hold of it, and the direct oppositte of what these stupid measures are supposed to achieve.

You really shouldnt call anyone else a troll when you cant even conduct yourself in a decent manner. If this stuff effects you on such an emotional level...please get out before you give yourself a heart attack. Youve called several people names and started flaming anyone with a difference of opinion in this thread.

You might possibly have good points in there, but who cares to read past the flames you put all thruought your posts. You cant even address the issues at hand, instead, you take it to a personal level and try insulting and name call and discredit the other persons points by proving that they are inferior to you in some way, rather than let your argument stand by its own validity. Exellent tactic for starting flame wars...doesnt work so well if you actually care to make a point.

Neutrino said:
No, not everyone interested in HL2 has an internet connection. Don't assume that just because you do that everyone else does. They don't.

No, it's not the end of the world. However I fail to see why a person should be forced to go to the trouble of buying a modem and installing a trial version of something in order to play one single game. Why does Valve fee the need to do things differently than every other game company on Earth?

Oh and there happens to be a lot of people who don't live in America.

You are forgetting, that Steam is also used to send out patches to people who are running their games. Someone without an internet connection in this day and age shouldn't really be touching their computer. In the days of driver updates, windows updates, virus updates, security updates, game updates.. how else are they going to keep their PC in good running condition?? (and don't say burnt CD's from someone else.. if they can't afford a damn modem they can't afford a cd burner).

Someone without an internet connection even just to update their virus files is asking for trouble, let alone play HL2...

Miker75 said:
You are forgetting, that Steam is also used to send out patches to people who are running their games. Someone without an internet connection in this day and age shouldn't really be touching their computer. In the days of driver updates, windows updates, virus updates, security updates, game updates.. how else are they going to keep their PC in good running condition?? (and don't say burnt CD's from someone else.. if they can't afford a damn modem they can't afford a cd burner).

Someone without an internet connection even just to update their virus files is asking for trouble, let alone play HL2...

In the days of updates, most people still don't get them, use insecure software and get tons of viruses and spyware.

Miker75 said:

How would a person without an internet connection go about getting a virus?

I'm sure they're pretty hard to get outside of the internet. Security updates would also not be needed on a computer that is at no risk of being hacked. Driver updates and game patches can also be done without.

Not everyone cannot possibly live without the internet.

Back